Roseland cook stove

Post by Guest » Tue. Nov. 20, 2018 4:53 pm

I had the Antique Stove Hospital in Rhode Island retrofit this coal burner to burn wood, I regret that now. To convert it back will be $300 and I think that's what we're going to do. I've never burned coal before and I'm having a hard time finding anthracite here, bituminous I can find locally, but not anthracite. We're in East Tennessee and shipping is killer to get decent coal delivered here. I've spoken with local blacksmiths and they either use gas forges or just burn bituminous. Here is my stove: https://ibb.co/kZcp2A
ETA: the chimneys here are unrestored and as of now unusable. The house is almost 200 years old and the big, double cooking fireplace is just crumbling. Any stove will need to be piped straight up through the ceiling. I really don't want to screw this up & burn the house down so I'm taking this slowly and trying to research everything.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Tue. Nov. 20, 2018 10:54 pm

You may want to check with your local Tractor Supply Company and ask the manager if he can order it for you. If you are willing to purchase a full pallet you may be in luck.

Paulie

archangel_cpj

Post by archangel_cpj » Tue. Nov. 20, 2018 11:16 pm

As far as stove pipe I use the ss Simpson duracent triple wall pipe... It's reasonable priced and will last ten years or so.... coal doesnt cause chimney fires and so that danger is moot making the risk of burning your house down pretty slim... A real danger from an old leaky masonary chimney is CO leaking into the home... I've seen old chimneys tuck pointed and any soft bricks replaced them a poured liner is installed works pretty well...

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Nov. 21, 2018 10:49 am

Dirty Hippie wrote:
Tue. Nov. 20, 2018 4:53 pm
I had the Antique Stove Hospital in Rhode Island retrofit this coal burner to burn wood, I regret that now. To convert it back will be $300 and I think that's what we're going to do. I've never burned coal before and I'm having a hard time finding anthracite here, bituminous I can find locally, but not anthracite. We're in East Tennessee and shipping is killer to get decent coal delivered here. I've spoken with local blacksmiths and they either use gas forges or just burn bituminous. Here is my stove: https://ibb.co/kZcp2A
ETA: the chimneys here are unrestored and as of now unusable. The house is almost 200 years old and the big, double cooking fireplace is just crumbling. Any stove will need to be piped straight up through the ceiling. I really don't want to screw this up & burn the house down so I'm taking this slowly and trying to research everything.
Welcome, DP.

As you've likely found out by now, old ranges are not as efficient burning wood as modern wood stoves are so creosote buildup becomes a problem. Previous owner of my range ran it on wood and really gunked up the oven flues thick with hard tarry creosote. Took a few hours with scrapers to get it cleaned out.

As long as you don't need to run at max to heat with your stove pipe temps can and will be lower with anthracite coal. No need to run it hot because even running slow it burns clean and does not build up any harmful deposit on pipe walls - just some fine dusty fly ash that settles in horizontal runs that needs to be vacuumed out once a year. My pipe temps rarely get in the wood burning range of the magnetic pipe temperature gauges - even when I'm running it hot. Eight feet up the pipe where it enters into the chimney the pipe surface temps are in the low 100 F range- wall temps about 90-105 F. If I run it wide open in direct draft while refueling, I might be able to get the pipe surface near to 200 F.

However, if you use bit coal your back to it being more like wood. The better stoves built for bit coal (called "hot blast: stoves) have special pre-heated air directed right over the firebed to burn off that volatile soot. I don't know of any range that has that ability to burn off the soot as well as the hot blast stoves, so, you'll have to run it hotter to get it to burn cleaner and reduce soot build up.

There's lots more info about using an anthracite coal fired range throughout the long "Cookin' With Coal" thread here, Cookin' With Coal

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”