What is a 'Todd heater' ?

gardener

Post by gardener » Mon. Nov. 19, 2018 8:54 am

I found this page while shopping antique stoves, they dedicate a webpage to just 'Todd heaters'.

http://www.antique-cast-iron-stoves.com/todd_heaters.php

I tried emailing the email address on the website, so far no response.
There is a phone number, but have not called it.

What is a 'Todd heater' ?
Is it a brand?
Dedicated fuel stove, like oil?

One passing thought that maybe it is the first name of the antique shop owner, but the email address on the website is for a 'Dave'. On a linked site to the antique shop is a picture of a guy I presume is 'Dave', at least he looks like a Dave and not a Todd ;)

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Nov. 19, 2018 4:49 pm

I believe "Todd Heater" refers to the inner baffle system of the stove, which is unique. It causes the gasses to circulate close to the stove walls before exiting. They all have the same outer look too.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Mon. Nov. 19, 2018 11:22 pm

Todd stove also know as a pig stove.
The side view looks like a pig's back.

Wood only stove.

Some makes get pricey.

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Mar. 08, 2019 4:07 pm

franco b wrote:
Mon. Nov. 19, 2018 4:49 pm
I believe "Todd Heater" refers to the inner baffle system of the stove, which is unique. It causes the gasses to circulate close to the stove walls before exiting. They all have the same outer look too.
In the "Treasure Stoves and Ranges" by D. Moore Company, illustrated price list number 66 from 1915...
in the 'Heating Stoves for Wood', they have a "NEW STAR TODD", which its description includes:

"New Todd Star Heater" For Wood Only, This Stove is a Base Burner, sending the heat around the flues in bottom of stove under the fire. The Cleanout is under the Hearth Plate.

I saw one picture of a restored Todd heater somewhere that had the view inside the firebox, I'll have to find it again and see if I recognize a difference. :annoyed:

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”