high temp paint, how fast does it wear off

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 8:25 am

I have two modern fireplace inserts that are mostly sheet metal, and most of the cast iron on them are on the outside as decoration. I was skimming an antique shop's website when I found they had a few antique stoves for sale. At first glance this stove I thought maybe it was 100% nickel plated, but I looked closer and the high temperature paint is just faded and the lighting is bright. My pellet burning fireplace insert has a fireback that is cast iron inside the unit that the flame directly heats and the high temperature paint only lasts a short while when the heating season begins, then I repaint it at the end of the heating season to try to protect it from the humidity. The cast iron on the outside of the inserts get hot, but the high temperature paint has not faded yet since I bought them.

This photo makes me wonder about antique stoves, as I understand many or most antique stoves do not have an internal liner or refractory that separates the cast iron body from the fire.
How long does high temperature paint last on an antique stove before the paint begins to fade?
.. perhaps multiple heating seasons?

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 10:01 am

Many use polish rather than paint...

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 10:10 am

The antique stove pictured has an air gap between the fire pot and stove body that acts to lower the temp on the body and keep the firepot temp up.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 10:33 am

Most "high temp" BBQ and stove paints are usually rated to 1200 F.

But sometimes parts of the stove get hotter than that when the operator forgets to close dampers soon enough. When you start to see cast iron begin to glow red in a dark room, that's around 1000F. By the time you see it glowing in a well lighted room, that's at, or above 1200 F.

Put paint over it and it can hide those heat warning signs until the paint fails.

With stove polish, too-high temps just burn off the graphite pigment in the polish and turns it a light gray. I prefer stove polish because a high temp "opps" is easily touched up with a quick wire brushing and another application of stove polish.

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”