Long Burn: What Type of Coal

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 5:45 am

Another idea I had, and actually have all the parts for this, is an active solar setup. Between the sawmills that I have, a bunch of lexan panels, ducting, and blowers and controls, it looks like a pretty straightforward and easy build.

My house is set up ideally for Southern exposure as the old duffers always set up a home for that. (This house is only a hundred years old, but the foundation was laid up in the year 1800. Not in the 1800's, but actually in the year OF 1800. Subsequent houses atop this foundation burned, as witnessed by the hand-hewn beams charred in the basement, so new houses were just built on top of the old rock foundation).

So I thought of building a solar collector; just something simple like a downspout solar collector, and then with the aid of a blower, taking heated air during the day, and bringing it into the basement. The guys who have done this were getting pretty good numbers. It would be great to have warm floors, but even if all I could get was waterlines I did not have to worry about freezing, I would be happy.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 5:50 am

I was thinking you could just install the boiler with an expansion tank, and a single radiator in the basement. That way you could heat you cellar, have a dump zone, and heat all of your domestic hot water. The installation would be fairly cheap since you would not be trying to install radiators or heat exchangers to heat the entire home.

NoSmoke
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 6:44 am

Oh I got you now.

I have a Modine kicking around too that would help heat the basement instead of using a radiator. I might be afraid that would draw down the boiler though, and short cycle it. It would be an easy installation however.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 6:56 am

That boiler will put out some BTU’s.

I heated a little over 1,000 sqft upstairs, the basement, and the roughly 900 sqft garage plus my DHW with the 90 I had.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 8:04 am

I like the idea of putting a water to air heat exchanger in your furnace plenum and heating the house with the New York WC 90. Seems simple enough vs. trying to convert it.

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 11:04 am

I have no problems trying to make the New Yorker WC 90 work...this summer, but it is not going to happen now. Winter has set in pretty hard and the basement is buttoned up. I have never actually put fire to it myself. I went and installed it in my mudroom, got it ready to go, and then Katie decided she wanted to add lockers for everyone in there instead...so out came the boiler. I had it cleaned up, rebuilt it and everything!

The other day we just decided for the interim, we had the old pot bellied stove so why not just install it since we had everything for it. Now it is just a matter of figuring how to get extended burns out of it.
DSCN1714.JPG
.JPG | 388KB | DSCN1714.JPG

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”