Crawford 40...keeping it in our coal family

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 12:18 pm

After a long road traveled I acquired a stove that I hope suits my needs. It's a Crawford 40...thanks to a generous forum member. I fell in love with antiques when I got my G109. The craftsmanship, pure beauty and genius operation of these old stoves is amazing! I did touch on the stove a bit in a thread I started...Door pins. I thought I would give the old girl the recognition she deserves with a proper thread. It's a pretty solid stove and is good to light up this season with some minor flaws...which are being worked out at the moment. I plan on breaking it down in the spring to give it a complete rebuild from the ground up. Interestingly most of the parts seem to be interchangeable within Crawfords line. The labels Crawford 4, Tropic and Crystal all appear on several parts on this stove, sometimes together. I haven't come across any dates yet. I filed down the fit on the clinker door to true it up. I also had to file down some casting spots that affected the primary slider operation. The slider was slightly tweaked so I gently ran a file along the high spots to true that up as well. I ran high temp silicone on the primary and clinker doors to tighten it up even more. Once dry I'll trim the excess. Been doing that on my G109 for a while now as per the advice of a member here. Works flawless! Being this is a larger stove than the Glenwood and a BIG stove in general I had to be sure it's sealed up good so I can idle down low. Don't want to get cooked out of the house. I'm hoping I get some long burn times from this beauty. I needed to get the clinker door off to work on the fit a bit better. The pin was so tight that I had to cut it out. I tried sizing it up but it's an oddball size. It's ever so slightly larger than 3/16". I would've swore it was 3/16" if I hadn't put a gauge on it. I sourced a 3/16" clevis pin from Fastenal. This should work until the proper pin can be found. I have Wilson working on that. I was going to leave that little project for the spring, but my curiosity got the better of me. Waiting on an oval to round adaptor which is in the mail. There was concern with the flanges on the Crawford being 5.75"...not 6". I matched up the rear pipe top flanges from both the Crawford and Glenwood, perfect match. So a standard 6" oval to round adaptor should work fine. I used a Chubby adaptor on my Glenwood so I ordered another for the Crawford. I compared the ash pans from the Glenwood 109 and Crawford 40, insane!!! I'm hoping to light her up this weekend. Stay tuned...

Attachments

Sisters.jpg
.JPG | 227.5KB | Sisters.jpg
ash pans.jpg
.JPG | 230KB | ash pans.jpg
C40 clinker door.jpg
.JPG | 171KB | C40 clinker door.jpg
C40 leg.jpg
.JPG | 298.5KB | C40 leg.jpg
C40 primary damper.jpg
.JPG | 264.4KB | C40 primary damper.jpg
primary door seal.jpg
.JPG | 314.9KB | primary door seal.jpg

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 1:07 pm

I would have found it hard to resist firing this winter also.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 1:25 pm

Along with a Glenwood #6 I'd love to have one or two each of those. Don't know where I'd put them, but I think I could find a place.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 1:47 pm

franco b wrote:
Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 1:07 pm
I would have found it hard to resist firing this winter also.
+1 :yes:

Paul

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 2:58 pm

Be careful how tight you seal off primary air in this size stove as it’s larger pot will run “different” at low speeds than the 109. I always simply used the check damper and could keep it at 200 + or -

You don’t want the CO detector going off on wifey while your on late shift😬

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 3:13 pm

Good advice my friend. Well taken!

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 4:58 pm

send me the width and length of that ash pan i'd like to put a piece of card board that size in the WM #524 ash pan for reference. i never did that while i had the 40's here. Duh.

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 5:23 pm

Ok Steve...at work now, later tonight.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 8:42 pm

Steve,
Do you mean you had not one, but two (2) Crawford 40's in your possession and you didn't keep either of them? How in this world did you manage that? LOL! No way would I have parted with both ... and maybe not either. LOL!

Glenwood #6 and/or #8...
Crawford 40, etc...
a few WM's...
and many more...
...if and when I can start getting them they're aren't leaving. I may have to move into that chicken coop I showed you, but that would be okay...at least there's a stove pipe up there. LOL!!!!

tcalo,
Those stoves are gorgeous!

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 8:49 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 8:42 pm

tcalo,
Those stoves are gorgeous!
Thanks Hoytman

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 10:54 pm

Crank it up, Tommy, the cold is here. :D

We're already down into the teens and going colder. Driveway was nice and crunchy when I went out to dump ashes.

paul

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 11:11 pm

Definately crispy this morning, nice covering of frost everywhere. Getting close to lighting off. Parts should be arriving tomorrow. Friday looks like the day. I’m stoked!!!

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 11:14 pm

In the meantime the G109 is pumping out the heat!

Attachments

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Thu. Nov. 15, 2018 1:02 pm

Received the hinge pins today from Fastenal. The original pin measures 13/64”. That little bugger is tough to find so I ordered two clevis pins measuring 3/16” and 1/4”. The 1/4” is black and matches the stove nicely, down side is it’s slightly larger than the hinge holes. I planned on drilling out the hinge holes...stop rolling your eyes...I couldn’t get a standard drill at the correct angle, the breast plate is in the way. I was going to try and hunt down a right angle drill but figured I’ll wait until I break the stove down in the spring. By then I’ll either have the right pin or be able to drill it out from the bottom with the breast plate removed. I went with the 3/16”. I trimmed off the excess and filed down the bottom of the pin. A tad loose but I used high temp silicone anyway to seal up the clinker door good. I’ll trim the excess silicone off the doors tonight. Waiting on the rear pipe adaptor, should be arriving today by snail mail...I mean US mail!! I just filled the G109 for the last time today, going to let if burn out so it’ll be cool enough to move in the morning.

Attachments

024590D4-710C-4A87-9E63-5D02B0FCBC32.jpeg

Clevis pins

.JPEG | 1.1MB | 024590D4-710C-4A87-9E63-5D02B0FCBC32.jpeg
754EBAED-1686-4EBC-AE4E-10FC9B94DD5F.jpeg

Clinker door

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Nov. 15, 2018 2:10 pm

Tom, is the pin gap big enough to use a 1/4" wide x what ever long strip of 24 gauge or lighter sheet metal or tin slid in the bracket holes along with the pin to make it snug ?

i've done this as temporary means at times with good results.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”