Crawford 40...keeping it in our coal family

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 6:38 pm

KingCoal wrote:
Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 6:28 pm
isn't extended fuel security a lovely thing ?
YES!

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 6:52 pm

I don’t think I can get someone from off the island to delivery. Too far and too many tolls to pay. I may just go with nut.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 8:11 pm

tcalo wrote:
Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 6:52 pm
I don’t think I can get someone from off the island to delivery. Too far and too many tolls to pay. I may just go with nut.
ah, i didn't realize it's a toll excursion on and off the island, having never been, i see the pickle though.

still, while i had the 40's here i had little trouble standing up a nice "bank" from the load door threshold to the top of the refractory with nut. i found that going as high as possible on both sides of the door as quickly as possible was the key to holding the back wall in place.

play around, i'm sure you'll find a way :yes:

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 8:37 pm

KingCoal wrote:
Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 8:11 pm
ah, i didn't realize it's a toll excursion on and off the island, having never been, i see the pickle though.
Tolls leaving and coming! Need to take a bridge or ferry off the island. Can’t even sneeze without paying a toll here. Gotta love NY!!!

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Mon. Dec. 03, 2018 2:56 pm

I had the stove on a low idle all morning. I glanced over and noticed the magnetic temp gauge was reading quite low. I thought the stove was starting to peter out. I hit the upper barrel with my ir gun and got a reading of 143. I opened the clinker door and the fire in her belly was still glowing strong. The mano was pulling -.04. There is no way this stove is going out, just chugging along nicely.

Primary and bb damper closed
Secondary and mpd opened
Check 50% open

Imagine how low this stove would go with the check fully open. I bet you can shed another 20 degrees off that 143. Simply amazing!!!!

Attachments

F2BB5988-7B28-4787-8D25-E85A9F1F3414.jpeg

Magnetic gauge reading

D5BE46EF-18A9-497F-A793-7556E7C4C481.jpeg

Ir gun reading

DD4438E1-1DD1-42A1-B489-AE4D17B42E78.jpeg

Mano reading

541E9CB7-A505-48BB-8449-D50C3BFBBA1E.jpeg

Fire in her belly

Craw4
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford #4, Champion Oak 116, Splendid Oak 27 & 29, Glenwood Oak 20,40 and 2- Glenwood Oak 30's
Coal Size/Type: Stove and Nut

Post by Craw4 » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 9:09 am

Glad your diggin the C40, I've been burning my #4 for around 8 years now I think, I can't imagine doing any better than these Crawford Baseheaters, Stove coal is definitely the way to go in these deep straight walled suspended pots I believe..

Cheers,
Todd

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 10:30 am

Todd...I agree. Stove coal works well in these stoves. I’ve read these are good stoves but I’m blown away with the performance of it! I simply could not be happier. Perfect fit for our situation.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 3:08 pm

glad you got the one you liked.

you went a long way with the #9 and learned enough there to run about anything else you may ever wish to try.

steve

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 1:22 pm

You guys may recall I ran a few bags of stove coal through the C40 a few weeks back, that stuff is sweeeeet!!! Ran out of stove coal and went back to using the coal in my bin...nut. The C40 was born to burn stove coal. Sadly my coal yard doesn't carry bulk stove coal and bulk is quite cheaper than bagged here. I ordered a 4 ton delivery of nut coal last week, scheduled for tomorrow. I found a half bag of stove coal in my garage. Dumped it in the stove this morning. Forgot how good the stove runs on it. Packed the kids up in the car...drove down to the coal yard...canceled my bulk nut delivery and placed an order for bagged stove coal. End of story!!! Looks like I'll be using my coal bin for a shed...haha.

Craw4
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford #4, Champion Oak 116, Splendid Oak 27 & 29, Glenwood Oak 20,40 and 2- Glenwood Oak 30's

Post by Craw4 » Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 1:43 pm

LMAO! you did the right thing, these stoves rock on the stove coal.

Cheers,
Todd

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"

Post by scalabro » Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 7:08 pm

Stan & Ollie😝

Attachments

Craw4

Post by Craw4 » Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 8:08 pm

The fat man can really heat😆

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Fri. Dec. 07, 2018 9:48 am

Just took delivery of 3 tons of bagged stove coal. The price difference wasn’t as bad as I thought...$50 more a ton bag vs bulk. I remember it being closer to a $100 spread. Living good now!!!

Attachments

EBFC3A83-2806-41D7-B8A4-459BC16EBEB9.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.2MB | EBFC3A83-2806-41D7-B8A4-459BC16EBEB9.jpeg

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Sun. Dec. 16, 2018 5:13 pm

Here's a little comparison between the C40 and G109 for those that are interested.

The C40 heats by far better than the G109, which is a given when comparing the size of the stoves. The G109, for it's size heats quite well though. The way the C40 gases pass through the base makes a big difference, it throws a lot more heat. The G109 only routes the gasses down the sides then out the back.

The G109 bb damper has 2 small bypass holes cast into it. The C40 bb damper is solid. I've noticed when I open the door on the C40 with the bb damper closed I start to get gasses coming out of the stove. This does not happen on the G109, I could leave the door open quite a bit and those bypass holes are enough to prevent gasses from escaping through the open load door. The G109 bb damper seems to almost lock into position, which is nice. The C40 bb damper is much more loose and has a sloppy feel. The G109 bb handle has a 10 and 2 position, which makes it a bit more difficult to figure out when you forget which handle position is open/closed. The C40 bb handle is just like a valve handle making it much easier to understand. Vertical is closed, horizontal is open. No guess work!

The ash pan/chamber design is surprisingly different. The C40 ash pan is huge, this is obvious. The pan just fits in the ash pit area. It catches everything with most of the ash concentrated toward the center of the pan. The G109 pan has a looser fit. Even if the pan had a snug fit it would get messy. Most of the ash is spread more evenly around the pan. I've noticed some ash falling close to the sides of the pan and spilling over. I had to shovel out the ash pit area every few days. The ash build up outside the pan would prevent the pan from sliding in all the way. This was a pita! So, I believe the ash area is a bit larger than the grate area on the C40, and the grate and ash area's are about the same size on the G109. Hope that makes sense??

Bridging! The G109 bridges better than the C40. This is in part to it's narrow pot. Regardless of stove temps, the G109 bridged almost every time. I was able to pull the dump grate and get the bottom of the bed squeaky clean. Where as, the C40 bridges better on stove coal than nut and really needs to be burning at 400 or better to bridge nicely. I find the G109 a bit easier to shake down. I believe this is because the pot is much smaller than the C40. You can really feel the amount of mass the C40 holds when shaking the grate.

Recovery time...this is a big difference. The G109 took a while to recover. Its safe to safe it took about 30/45 minutes to recover after tending. This may have been in part to the stove running hotter and more fuel exhausted. I was burning nut in it. The C40 is much quicker. I've used both nut and stove coal in it. This stove is meant for stove coal!!! Recovery with nut does take longer than with stove, but it's still quicker than the G109. I'm running stove coal in it now and recovery only takes about 10 minutes before back up to operating temps. Granted, there is more good fuel left in the pot.

This brings me to low burn. Both stoves far surpass my expectations in this area. I've been able to get both stoves down to around 150. The low burn temps on the C40 is slightly higher when using stove coal over nut coal, but it still gets quite low. I did need to tighten up the stoves in areas, but it really pays off on warms days. You can't beat an idle stove shedding a 150 temp! There was actually times I thought the stoves were on there way out, but mano readings were up with a nice glow in their bellies.

I'll follow up with burn times. In the heart of winter I was tending the G109 three times a day just to keep a healthy fire in it. I needed to dump the ash pan at every tending. This was just about full pot refills too. It holds about 25 pounds of coal. It averaged a burn temp of 550/600 for about 10 hours. The C40 will easily go 14 hours at 500 degrees. I really haven't pushed the stove over 500 yet, and that's with temps hovering in the teens. I'm averaging stove temps of 350/400, with the occasional 500 when the weather gets nasty. I tend it every 12 hours and only need to dump the pan once a day. When tending there is still about half a pot of fresh fuel left. It will hold about 50 pounds of coal. If I idle the stove back on warmer days then I only need to tend in once a day.

The manometer reacts much more with the C40 than with the G109. This I cannot explain why. Possibly it has to do with the bypass holes in the G109 bb damper along with the shorter gas path? The C40 bb damper is solid with a longer gas path. This probably causes more resistance. The mano reading would move to stove settings on the G109, but there is a much wider range of movement with the C40. I usually run with the mpd 100% closed. I've noticed with both stoves, there is a point where heat output slows dramatically regarding primary air input settings. Regardless of how open the primary sliders are, I would need to open the mpd a bit to get more heat output. This doesn't seem to happen until the 475/500 mark.

Neither stove has ever sneezed!!! Whether in a hurry or not, I've never had an issue with puff backs on either stove.

Cleanliness...they are identical. A bit of ash, but nothing too bad. There tends to be ash on the top of the dump handle that falls off when pulled out. The G109 had ash spill out by the front clinker teeth and miss the pan. So when I open the door this ash would fall out. I do get flakes of broken off coal that fall out of the front load door on the C40, sometimes it gets by the slight gap in the door when closed and makes a mess of the floor. I think the sloped fire pot doesn't help. It forces everything to collect at the front of the stove by the load door. I cannot stand this sloped fire pot for some reason. Why not make it flat???

Build quality...this I can only touch on. I got the stove in operational condition and put it right in service. Just from handling the parts along with the stove itself, I have to say the C40 is a bit heavier. Not because of it's overall size, but the castings seem beefier. I plan on breaking the stove down in the spring and giving it a complete over haul. This will give me a better comparison.

Aesthetics!!! The C40 is by no means an ugly stove. The craftsmanship is by far top notch. Very talented individuals!!! The Glenwoods are just so damn sexy. The scroll work and attention to detail on Glenwood stoves is simply amazing. Very clean lines. In my opinion, there is nothing nicer out there!!

I believe I touched on just about every thing. Bottom line, when the stove fits the heating needs then things work out perfectly!!!

Attachments

stoves.jpg
.JPG | 20.6KB | stoves.jpg
Last edited by tcalo on Sun. Dec. 16, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Sun. Dec. 16, 2018 5:24 pm

Wow I thought I was reading a “Car & Driver” road test hahahahaha!

Nice overview Tom 👍🏻

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”