William Sherrick

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 1:14 pm

So sad. I am very sorry to hear that William Sherrick has gone. As a beginner watched that video of William in his shirtsleeves over and over wondering how he stayed clean. Found the video and came to Nepa. Respect, Rest in Peace.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 7:11 pm

Wow, great work Paulie, and I wish I could take one of those treasures from you. But I am not wishing for more winter weather this far south. Sounds like there were many more treasures from yesteryear there.....sad time for the family.

Kevin

McNair
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Cannon Heater
Coal Size/Type: chestnut
Other Heating: LP

Post by McNair » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 11:17 pm

Oh no.

Almost everything I know about coal I learned from him.

G-d Bless.

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Fri. Dec. 07, 2018 3:23 pm

William was a Southern Gentleman to be sure. He stopped by the house to buy a stove I was selling at the time. It was a pleasure to host William and Emery.Wish they could have stayed longer. Sad to see him go. He was certainly a champion of antique stoves and their efficiency. Eternal rest grant to him, O Lord; and let light perpetual shine upon him. May his soul, and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Fri. Dec. 07, 2018 10:34 pm

Sad news sending prayers.....

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Dec. 08, 2018 10:00 am

After reading all of this,I'm in awe and more than Humbled that a Man of William's Calibre communicated with a sleaze such as myself... The "Sherrick Of Anthracite",as I Loved to call him,was and is,a Tower of Our Human Condition. Again,reading All of This,I can tell All of You a Hardy "Welcome To The Coal Board"! This type of Thread is what the Mayor's Tiny Digital Town was All About! Now let's see what the Digital Era,and Us All,can do to see that William's Proud Legacy stays Alive! " ALL ABOARD"!!...

We are,William!

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sat. Dec. 08, 2018 2:57 pm

I am deeply saddened after having read through what is surely William's tribute thread. Coalnewbie an Paulie were eternally fortunate to have known him on a personal level. Now I can only whish I had been so lucky but I was lucky enough to have PMed him in conversations that compared the stove I use to those great designs of yore.

• From failing hands, the torch is thrown...
  • (John McCrae)

After recently loosing my Dad, the sharing of the torch light seems even more urgent. Others have stated it well. May I suggest the Mayor consider a 'wall' of tribute where their names and a link to their threads will 'hang in the out filed' for all to easily find. Perhaps others will too.
William's wsherrick should be at the top.
And fear not if you have any problems with it because you have many people here including myself who can help you with it.

Hambden Bob

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Dec. 08, 2018 5:05 pm

Here! Here! I second that! There's a Proud Legacy in the Coal Board History that contains many that passed while amongst Us...

Hambden Bob

Post by Hambden Bob » Tue. Dec. 11, 2018 8:42 pm

Just giving this a move back to page 1 for some Fine Folks that may be re-arriving back at the Board after being away awhile.
It's a Rare Privilige for Us to be informed of a Members' Passing,and it sure was Much Appreciated!

sewashburn

Post by sewashburn » Sat. Mar. 23, 2019 9:50 am

Hello. I know that I am late to posting this, but I thought that I should in tribute to Bill (as I knew him). Boxcar Bill, actually, due to his love for trains. Boxcar and I roomed together at the University of Tennessee during the 1985-1986 school year. Unfortunately when I Googled his name I came upon this thread and discovered that he had passed away. Unfortunate that he has passed away, but what an honor you have all done for him in remembering him in your posts!

Bill was all about all things trains. Steam locomotives, that is. Don't bother him about diesels. I learned more from him about trains during the two years that I knew him at UT than I otherwise would have for my entire life.

Bill and I visited the L&N and Southern railway depots in Knoxville, Tennessee, both of which had been recently been renovated. Whenever a steam locomotive would come into town he would drag me down to the Southern depot to see it, telling me and its crew all about its technical aspects and its history.

Then there is his love for old music. He had a vast collection of 78s that still sounded great. He also educated me about the music of the bygone age of the Roaring 20s.

This was one his favorite songs:

Did you know that he once owned a ~1966 Cadillac DeVille that he named Excalibur? It was a beautiful white 4 door sedan. We would drive around town and really get a lot of admiring looks. For the car, mostly. Here is what it looked like:

http://www.2040-cars.com/_content/cars/images/74/ ... 74/001.jpg

I can see how his passion for stoves is a natural extension of his love of trains. It's all about the coal. He would be really mad if he knew that TVA was closing two coal power plants.

Bill also lived in and restored a victorian house in Knoxville. Look up 505 E Scott Ave in Knoxville Tennessee in Google Maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/505+E+Scott+Ave ... -83.926954#

Bill was definitely a Renaissance Man. He was born during the wrong era. I think he really would have more at home if he had been born 80 years earlier.

I hope someone sees this post and enjoys reading it about a time from a different part of Bill's life, although he was definitely the same person inside. I'm sorry that I'm too late in finding him.

Thank you for letting me post this since I didn't have the opportunity to say goodbye to him. If you happen to read this post (which is the sole purpose of me joining this forum), I would appreciate any reply.

This thread is a a great tribute to Bill or William as you know him. "Sir William". I think he would really like that.

Scott Washburn
Last edited by sewashburn on Sat. Mar. 23, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 8 times in total.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Mar. 23, 2019 9:59 am

Thanks for the post Scott, and for a little more insight into William's life.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Mar. 23, 2019 10:06 am

Hi, welcome and thank you for sharing your good memories of William with us.

it seems William gained a specific set of friends every decade and every one of them are still very attached to the time shared.

stick around, we may be able to provide you with some unique entertainment.

steve

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Mar. 23, 2019 12:46 pm

Ditto on all the above!!!!!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Mar. 23, 2019 3:21 pm

Thanks Scott. A wonderful addition to this memorial to William.

Paul

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Mar. 23, 2019 4:42 pm

. May I suggest the Mayor consider a 'wall' of tribute where their names and a link to their threads will 'hang in the out filed' for all to easily find. Perhaps others will too.
Real good suggestion Dave.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”