tall round oak, questions

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Nov. 09, 2018 8:17 am

I came across this image from one of the search engines.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/87/52/0d/87520dbf0 ... d6ac1a.jpg

It is appears, from the web search engine, to have originated from Rusty Iron Ranch Antique Stoves. I have been looking over their website recently and I did not see this photo, not that it has to be there. Maybe it is on their Facebook page, but I don't use Facebook so I'll never know. :baby: :lol:

My question is in regard to the barrel extensions on the left and right round oak.

(1) Round Oak stoves are wood burning only?
(2A) Is the purpose of the barrel extensions to capture more heat of the exhaust before it leaves to enter the flue?
(2B) If so, would this not cause more creosote in the flue?
(3) Is the exhaust port still in the same location as a non-extended version of the same model?
(4ABC) Were the extensions a product option? or were they sold as a different model?
...Or are the extensions aftermarket alterations?

I recall last year reading a thread on here, where someone extended the barrel of their coal burning antique stove in the same effort to get more 'hang time' of the exhaust before it leaving out of the flue. I'm not sure there is a question here, but the image caused me to recall that thread.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Fri. Nov. 09, 2018 8:36 am

If anyone is interested there is a R.O. double can for sale on eBay.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Nov. 09, 2018 8:37 am

I'm not sure if Round Oak made coal stoves, I've never seen one in my searching the internet after getting to see the wood burning Round Oak of an In-law. But if they did, it wouldn't surprise me.

Yes, the barrel extensions were to extract more heat. Usually the stoves were run loaded and hot, at least that's how my Brother-In-Law runs his 7 foot tall Round Oak 24. If the wood is well seasoned, and the dampers are set correctly, there shouldn't be much creosote left to condense in the chimney system. But they do require checking and cleaning. How often my BIL does that I never asked him. I was too in awe at the size and how painful the heat output was standing near it. :o His RO 24 came out of a local Church. He uses it to heat his entire one level house, with tall ceilings and lots of large windows..... in the hills of western Mass. Pictured below.

The exhaust collar in the BIL's RO is in the top casting. Adding a barrel extension just moved that top up, so the exit collar stays the same setup. For those with a rear exit the collar stays in the lower original section of barrel. The hot gases swirl around up in the extension before dropping down to go out the exit collar, as they would do with a non-extended barrel oak or base heater stove.

That would be Scott, (Scalabro) that posted about having an extension made for the barrel of one of his Oaks.

Paul

Attachments

DSCN2844.JPG
.JPG | 148.1KB | DSCN2844.JPG

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Fri. Nov. 09, 2018 9:01 am

R.O. will burn coal.

Round stove are coal, square is wood.
Quoting Sir William there.

Stoves with round bases have breech 90 degrees to load door. Square base stoves breech is 180 degree to load door.

Your pic above is from Rochester,Eyota, in Minnesota.

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Nov. 09, 2018 9:06 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Fri. Nov. 09, 2018 8:37 am
The exhaust collar in the BIL's RO is in the top casting. Adding a barrel extension just moved that top up, so the exit collar stays the same setup.
I found where you posted a picture of this
download/file.php?id=59458&sid=60350b216cf1018d2f ... &mode=view

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Nov. 09, 2018 9:16 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Fri. Nov. 09, 2018 8:37 am
Yes, the barrel extensions were to extract more heat. Usually the stoves were run loaded and hot, at least that's how my Brother-In-Law runs his 7 foot tall Round Oak 24. If the wood is well seasoned, and the dampers are set correctly, there shouldn't be much creosote left to condense in the chimney system. But they do require checking and cleaning. How often my BIL does that I never asked him. I was too in awe at the size and how painful the heat output was standing near it. :o
The modern wood burning stoves, non-catalyst, typically have a baffle to keep heat in the firebox longer to burn off the volatile gasses before they escape make it out of the flue or attach to the walls as creosote. I had assumed that all of the old wood burners allowed the volatile gasses to escape, but I suppose if the Round Oak is as hot as you mention that would certainly flash the volatile gasses before they could escape.

My firewood burning fireplace insert looks like it is mostly sheet metal so when it heats up it makes a lot of noises as the metal expands against itself. Does a Round Oak make similar noises while it heats up?

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Nov. 09, 2018 9:43 am

gardener wrote:
Fri. Nov. 09, 2018 9:16 am
The modern wood burning stoves, non-catalyst, typically have a baffle to keep heat in the firebox longer to burn off the volatile gasses before they escape make it out of the flue or attach to the walls as creosote. I had assumed that all of the old wood burners allowed the volatile gasses to escape, but I suppose if the Round Oak is as hot as you mention that would certainly flash the volatile gasses before they could escape.

My firewood burning fireplace insert looks like it is mostly sheet metal so when it heats up it makes a lot of noises as the metal expands against itself. Does a Round Oak make similar noises while it heats up?
Typically no. Round sheet metal doesn't make expanding noises because being curved it can move do to heat expansion without fighting against itself as it's heated unevenly. Flat sheet metal panels make noise because being in one plain, as the metal expands it has to suddenly distort as the expanding heated areas fight against the cooler areas that are not expanding, but trapping the heated areas from expanding quietly - like curved surfaces can do.

Paul

wilsons woodstoves
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood, Crawford, Magee, Herald, Others

Post by wilsons woodstoves » Sat. Nov. 10, 2018 9:17 am

interesting,paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Nov. 10, 2018 6:21 pm

wilsons woodstoves wrote:
Sat. Nov. 10, 2018 9:17 am
interesting,paul
Thanks Wilson.

Know how that ability for the flat surrounding areas to trap the heated area can actually be helpful at times. It's used by the old-time body shop panel beaters as part of a technique to shrink and smooth out deep, stretched metal dents in sheet metal without filling the dents with Bondo. :yes:

Paul

stovehospital

Post by stovehospital » Tue. Nov. 13, 2018 9:10 pm

Round oaks were originally designed for soft coal. That is why they have the iron liner and the three fingers holding the grate. Later they also designed a wood only grate that can be used in all sizes without the cast iron liner. They came from size 12 right up to 24 and the larger sizes from 18 up had an option for an additional half can or even a double can if requested. Round Oak also liked rivets and the entire stove is riveted together and difficult to work on.
These are powerful heaters with either fuel and make great heaters for large areas.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”