hay / buffalo chip stoves

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Nov. 02, 2018 2:09 pm

I stumbled upon this thread ( Fuller & Warren ), which had a link to ( https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Newspaper/BA9788 ), where a guy, in reference to his work in the foundry during the 19th century in Wisconsin, is quoted saying "Our company has made every conceivable kind of a stove, wood, hay and even the buffalo chip variety, when those animals used to be more plentiful than they are now."

Wood stoves would in the 19th century were the 6 sided kind?
How would a stove made to burn hay or buffalo chips be functionally different than a wood stove of that time?

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Nov. 02, 2018 3:55 pm

Wow, I dont know, but I want to see a picture of a chip stove. I know people out here on the plains used to burn anything that would burn for heat as wood was not always plentiful. I have heard of burning chips in cook stoves before.

One neat thing is it seems like a lot of the areas that did not have many trees had public coal surface mines where people went to dig their own. I know one person still living that did that in North Dakota as a child. It was either lignite or sub-bit.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Nov. 02, 2018 4:02 pm

I would imagine that much like burning peat in Ireland and Scotland, the chips might just be stacked loosely in the stove with some air gaps to allow them to burn just like you do with wood.

Paul

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Nov. 02, 2018 7:30 pm

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Fri. Nov. 02, 2018 7:50 pm

KingCoal wrote:
Fri. Nov. 02, 2018 7:30 pm
here ya go

http://www.neo.ne.gov/summer98/Sum98_07.htm
Great little story!

jubileejerry
Baseburners & Antiques: Wehrle Acme Sunburst 112, Hot Blast wood/coal burner

Post by jubileejerry » Sat. Nov. 03, 2018 9:51 pm

I used to help my parents' friend fill the cob bucket for her cookstove and my family was one of the first two families to settle in the area west of Niobrara, Nebraska along the Niobrara River in the 1860's. They were fortunate to have some trees. Buffalo and cow chips were a very common fuel also, though. They nearly froze to death the first winter but some Indians helped them. Part of their problem was that their supplies had been stolen by soldiers in Sioux City. Here is an excerpt taken from "Czechs in Nebraska-Knox County". http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ne/topic/ethnic/czech ... pg182.html

"This group of colonists suffered quite a loss. They had been advised by Janousek and Bem to take along furniture and supplies, the country being devoid of settlements. Upon their arrival in Sioux City they had placed their household goods, clothing, provisions, etc., in storage with Charles and Tuttle. The day after Sedivy left with the expedition, a company of soldiers, recruits, bound for Fort Sully, Dakota Territory, was quartered in the same warehouse. In a drunken state they broke into the boxes, stole and sold or destroyed the contents. Sedivy suffered a loss amounting to $246.50, the others a total of $239.00. The police was unable to cope with the situation and a lawsuit, instituted by Sedivy, was of no avail."

They fought the lack of suitable shelter, freezing mud and almost no supplies the first winter, but they survived.
Jerry Sedivy

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Nov. 04, 2018 7:21 am

the expansionist era of our country was filled with stalwart immigrants of all stripes makes the current situation and conditions that more stark in comparison.

as always, great to see your name and input on the forum JJ , happy holidays and heat season.

steve

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Nov. 04, 2018 9:28 am

Wonderful stories, thank you guys !!!!

Paul

jubileejerry

Post by jubileejerry » Sun. Nov. 04, 2018 10:05 am

Sometimes I go back to the homestead and look through the ravines where they disposed of unwanted, broken and worn-out items. I find pieces of old stoves but haven't been able to identify them. Lots of Model T Ford parts too.

jubileejerry

Post by jubileejerry » Mon. Nov. 05, 2018 7:10 am

I want to apologize to Mr. Gardner for hijacking this thread. I took it off subject. In an effort to go back to the original question I did some more research. I was unable to find more pictures of chip or hay stoves or even the russian stoves, but I'm going to keep trying. I did find this poem called "The Ballad on Nebraska Fuel" written in tribute to the cow chip but since it's not mine I can only give the link to it. I found it in the Nebraska Historical Society's archives and really enjoyed it. It was first published in the Hooker County Tribune, Mullen, Nebraska, in 1934.

https://history.nebraska.gov/sites/history.nebras ... NEFuel.pdf

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Nov. 05, 2018 7:32 am

Nice J--thanx :)
jubileejerry wrote:
Mon. Nov. 05, 2018 7:10 am
I want to apologize to Mr. Gardner for hijacking this thread. I took it off subject. In an effort to go back to the original question I did some more research. I was unable to find more pictures of chip or hay stoves or even the russian stoves, but I'm going to keep trying. I did find this poem called "The Ballad on Nebraska Fuel" written in tribute to the cow chip but since it's not mine I can only give the link to it. I found it in the Nebraska Historical Society's archives and really enjoyed it. It was first published in the Hooker County Tribune, Mullen, Nebraska, in 1934.

https://history.nebraska.gov/sites/history.nebras ... NEFuel.pdf

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Mon. Nov. 05, 2018 12:31 pm

An older farmer around here told me once that poo burns for a long time. I think I recall that they used to move the outhouses around and burn the pits out but I’m not certain. 😳

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Mon. Nov. 05, 2018 12:51 pm

CoalJockey wrote:
Mon. Nov. 05, 2018 12:31 pm
An older farmer around here told me once that poo burns for a long time. I think I recall that they used to move the outhouses around and burn the pits out but I’m not certain. 😳
Poo burns hot and long. That is how I clean my outhouse barrel. Just stand upwind a little bit. :D

gardener

Post by gardener » Mon. Nov. 05, 2018 1:30 pm

jubileejerry wrote:
Mon. Nov. 05, 2018 7:10 am
I want to apologize to Mr. Gardner for hijacking this thread. I took it off subject. In an effort to go back to the original question I did some more research. I was unable to find more pictures of chip or hay stoves or even the russian stoves, but I'm going to keep trying. ...
No problem. I enjoyed it.
The description of the hay burning attachments was interesting. I imagine that lighting those was little effort.
The webpage/article did not say specifically, but I gathered that the buffalo / cow chip stove was some sort of cylinder stove.
The russian stoves read to me that it is some sort of mass heater.
The remark about the corn oil 'burned holes in the stoves'. I wonder why that was?

Thanks everyone.

Oh also, the webpage/article reads like they wrap up by listing the progression of fuels, made me think about how nowadays many pellet stoves are able to burn various types of pellet fuels. I don't think dried manure has been pelletized, but I have seen shows that talk about pelletizing just about any agriculture residue you can think of.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Mon. Nov. 05, 2018 3:17 pm

Somewhere, some place, someone is probably pelletizing poop right now, or trying too. Why not? Probably a farmer trying to figure out a way to make some money farming for a change, selling it.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”