Baltimore heater restoration

jsmlesotho
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Keystoker HFH 90
Baseburners & Antiques: Fawcett's New Silver Moon #13 and "New Parlor Heater" Baltimore Heater
Coal Size/Type: nut/anthracite

Post by jsmlesotho » Wed. Oct. 24, 2018 10:14 am

I picked up this Baltimore heater at the end of August. Wanted to share some pictures and the ongoing restoration. This stove is called a "New Parlor Heater" but is essentially a New Golden Sun made by the James Spears Company in Philadelphia. New. G. Sun 1882 is found imprinted in the castings throughout the stove.

The stove was complete except for missing the shroud that covers the backend. There were a few cracks that needed welding on the top plate of the base and I had to recast a few pieces.

Here are some pics of the restoration. So far I've got the stove cleaned, painted and polished. I've reassembled the base. Still need to fabricate the flue pipes and then fasten it all together. Aside from the restoration, I have to extend the hearth of my fireplace to accommodate the stove. The base of the stove extends about 20 inches from the face of the fireplace and the cylinder of the stoves extends approximately 15 inches from the fireplace. The hearth in my house only extends 18". I hope to get it burning coal by the end of November.

Attachments

IMG_3372.JPG
.JPG | 90.8KB | IMG_3372.JPG
IMG_3374.JPG
.JPG | 73.3KB | IMG_3374.JPG
IMG_3484.JPG
.JPG | 66KB | IMG_3484.JPG
IMG_3487.JPG
.JPG | 39.9KB | IMG_3487.JPG
IMG_3485.JPG
.JPG | 59KB | IMG_3485.JPG
IMG_3492.JPG
.JPG | 358.2KB | IMG_3492.JPG
IMG_3507.JPG
.JPG | 459.8KB | IMG_3507.JPG
IMG_3508.JPG
.JPG | 453.2KB | IMG_3508.JPG
IMG_3510.JPG
.JPG | 376.5KB | IMG_3510.JPG
IMG_3513.JPG
.JPG | 492.2KB | IMG_3513.JPG

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Oct. 24, 2018 10:25 am

Nice work, J.

A rather complex stove design to restore, but well worth the effort ! :yes:

Paul

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Wed. Oct. 24, 2018 11:32 am

Looking real nice.

You posted that on the other place a while back.

Paned
Baseburners & Antiques: Florence 153, 151; Imperial Acorn, Alert Acorn, Acme Carbon, Favorite 261, Favorite 416, Estate Square Oak

Post by Paned » Wed. Oct. 24, 2018 1:58 pm

Looks great. I been looking for one of those also if anyone has any leads. I’m in the great Ohio.

jsmlesotho
Baseburners & Antiques: Fawcett's New Silver Moon #13 and "New Parlor Heater" Baltimore Heater

Post by jsmlesotho » Wed. Oct. 24, 2018 2:53 pm

Thanks mntbug, it’s coming along nicely. Yes, I posted on the antique stove site on FB when I picked it up.

Paul - the base definitely required octopus arms to put together but compared to the Sunny that Norcan restored its pretty simple. This stove doesn’t have dampers for indirect and directing venting. It’s pretty much in indirect mode all the time. The exhuast gas is directed from the top of the stove to the base by two ducts on either side of the cylinder. Then it’s directed around the base of the stove where it is then vented up on either side to a cast iron y-connector that exits into a 4” stove pipe. The 4” exit has a mpd and that is the only damper on the stove. Once I get it together i’ll post more pictures.

jsmlesotho

Post by jsmlesotho » Thu. Oct. 25, 2018 6:55 am

Here is the stove mantle all cleaned up.

Attachments

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Thu. Oct. 25, 2018 7:49 am

Looking real good J...keep at it!!

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Oct. 25, 2018 3:28 pm

jsmlesotho wrote:
Wed. Oct. 24, 2018 2:53 pm
Thanks mntbug, it’s coming along nicely. Yes, I posted on the antique stove site on FB when I picked it up.
This stove doesn’t have dampers for indirect and directing venting. It’s pretty much in indirect mode all the time. The exhuast gas is directed from the top of the stove to the base by two ducts on either side of the cylinder. Then it’s directed around the base of the stove where it is then vented up on either side to a cast iron y-connector that exits into a 4” stove pipe. The 4” exit has a mpd and that is the only damper on the stove. Once I get it together i’ll post more pictures.
If you can post some pictures of the damper I might be able to help.

Your Baltimore should have 3 dampers. A check damper on the left side, a damper on the right to go from direct to base mode and a flue damper on the top.

All of the Spears inserts had the same setup. Your model was manufactured to fit in a shallow fireplace so the arch has an extension as well as the grille extentions attached to the back of the base chamber clean out doors. I sold a Golden Sun and I still have a New Golden Sun. I will try to find the illustration showing the gas path and post it.

The flue damper on the right opens to place it in direct draft. When closed it forces the exaust gas down the left side tube past the check damper, down around the base chamber, up the right side tube and out the top past the top damper.

There should be three distinct holes in your arch where the damper rods came thru.

Paulie

Pauliewog
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Oct. 25, 2018 3:33 pm

I just looked close at your mantel arch and can see the three holes. The top left was the check, top right the mpd, and on the right side there is a hole on the filigree for the direct /indirect damper rods.

Paulie

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Oct. 25, 2018 4:03 pm

Here is a pic of the top of a New Golden Sun showing the rods for the mpd and double heater outlet.

Paulie

Attachments

Screenshot_2018-10-25-15-35-27.png
.PNG | 1.5MB | Screenshot_2018-10-25-15-35-27.png

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Oct. 25, 2018 7:42 pm

Just to give you some additional incentive. It is simply incredible how much heat these things throw out. Just playing around preseason with some charcoal.

Attachments

100_1060.JPG
.JPG | 462KB | 100_1060.JPG

Merc300d
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood 6 base heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Too many
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil base board

Post by Merc300d » Thu. Oct. 25, 2018 8:52 pm

Jeremy , that’s one impressive restoration going on there. Keep up that great work. It seems to come easy to you !👍

jsmlesotho

Post by jsmlesotho » Thu. Oct. 25, 2018 9:51 pm

Hi Paulie,

Thanks for the explanation. I know you've got more experience with these stoves than most anyone and i appreciate any insight, photos or illustrations you can provide. This stove design for a shallow fireplace explains why this sticks out so far into the room and why I need to extend my hearth! Also, I knew these heaters were designed to heat rooms on the upper floors but I didn't quite understand how until your comments. I've got the plate and pull rod that used to sit on the shroud to cover the double heater, but the shroud is long gone.

As for your explanation of the direct and indirect draft. I understand what your saying but i don't see how that works with this stoves design. The left and right chambers do not connect on this stove. And there is no base chamber below the ash pan like you see in a glenwood or other baseheaters of that design. I saw a fuller & warren insert last year that had a base chamber below the ash pan, this stove doesn't have that. I find it weird that the chambers don't connect but it is what it is. I also find it weird that the stove doesn't draft directly up the chimney. Instead it must vent down the right and left tube and the travel to the back of the stove where it connects, goes thought the mpd and up the chimney. The two don't connect. There is a damper in front of the left clean out that connects the ash pan to the left chamber, i understood that to be a check to limit draft to the coal bed.

Here are some more pictures... I tried to add a comment to describe what I'm showing, hopefully it makes sense. Also provide a more direct picture of the mantle. My understanding is that the left hole is for the double heater pull rod and the right is for the mpd.

I'd love to see any photos you have of your New Golden Sun or illustrations.

Jeremy

Attachments

backside left.JPG

backside (left)

.JPG | 471KB | backside left.JPG
backside right.JPG

backside (right)

.JPG | 376.2KB | backside right.JPG
left cleanout with check.JPG

left cleanout door and check dampter

.JPG | 368.3KB | left cleanout with check.JPG
back of base.JPG

back of stove with cast y-connector

.JPG | 437.9KB | back of base.JPG
right side cleanout.JPG

looking into right chamber through cleanout

.JPG | 364.3KB | right side cleanout.JPG
right tube.JPG

looking into right chamber through right tube

.JPG | 425.5KB | right tube.JPG
right chamber inside.JPG

inside right chamber

.JPG | 377.4KB | right chamber inside.JPG
mantle front.JPG

front view of arched mantle

.JPG | 570.7KB | mantle front.JPG

jsmlesotho

Post by jsmlesotho » Thu. Oct. 25, 2018 9:52 pm

Thanks Kevin, I've still got that Crawford Fortress waiting in my garage.

Jeremy

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Oct. 26, 2018 9:21 am

Just thinking about the man-hours that went into making the patterns for all those castings is mind-boggling.

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”