Silver Oak Resto Project

MULEBRAIN
Baseburners & Antiques: Silver Oak # 215

Post by MULEBRAIN » Wed. Oct. 24, 2018 8:37 am

This stove was given to me by a couple friends I helped out moving. They had this stove in NY, and all the way to England and the Middle East while working there. It remained just as a decoration piece until I got it. The stove had so much paint on it, nothing would open, and the steel can was badly rusted after sitting outside. I decided to build a hot fire in it, just to get the paint burnt off it.

I took it all apart and threw the parts in a fire, to finish burning all the paint off.

I found some better steel to replace the the rusted one, and installed a new floor

Now my question is, what is it going to cost to redo the nickle on these parts??

I would assume this small parlor stove was primarily used for coal, and wood can be burned in it. I think I really need to seal this stove up where I can, and what should I use for that?

This stove will be going into a small log cabin I am building
Last edited by MULEBRAIN on Wed. Oct. 24, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Oct. 24, 2018 9:21 am

Don't make much sense till ya figure that out.

MULEBRAIN
Baseburners & Antiques: Silver Oak # 215

Post by MULEBRAIN » Wed. Oct. 24, 2018 9:40 pm

Figure it out, guess google images doesn't do image url's, so went with Imgur

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Oct. 25, 2018 9:08 am

Properly done plating is very expensive and costs can vary alot depending on the shop doing the work.

The other main cost factor is the condition of the parts to start with and how good you want them to look when they are finished. If the parts are rust pitted, that gets very expensive to deal with. Badly pitted parts can easily double the cost.

If your thinking of restoring and selling it, even if the parts are not pitted, the plating will cost as much, possibly more, than you'd likely be able to sell it for, unless it was some very desirable type of stove, such as a well-known brand of base burner, or base heater.

Paul

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Oct. 25, 2018 9:19 am

Nice on the pix M. Sounds like you're wantin to be using this stove. Feed back will come--be patient.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”