Crawford Grand Questuons

Spinks
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Grand Number 7

Post by Spinks » Sun. Nov. 04, 2018 8:52 pm

Thanks so much everyone. I'll send a pic of the door at the front of the fire box, and maybe we can find the grate. Sounds like taking it apart and reassembling is the way to go. I'll look for a sandblaster or wheelabrate machine in my area. I hadn't planned on painting--I like the look of the unpainted stove, but is it smarter to paint it? I presume a high temp paint by Rutland or Rustoleum is the way to go? And what kind of cement is used at the joints? I see there's a product called Rutland Furnace cement--is that the thing to use?

Spinks

Post by Spinks » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 10:06 pm

Hey folks, do these pics of the firebox door etc indicate which grate I need?

Attachments

IMG_3987.JPG
.JPG | 76.1KB | IMG_3987.JPG
IMG_3986.JPG
.JPG | 75.4KB | IMG_3986.JPG
IMG_3985.JPG
.JPG | 80.4KB | IMG_3985.JPG
IMG_3983.JPG
.JPG | 67.1KB | IMG_3983.JPG
IMG_3984.JPG
.JPG | 70.3KB | IMG_3984.JPG

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 10:51 pm

The frame that the grate bars fit into is also missing. The bars rest into each end of the frame and it act as bearing supports for the ends of the grate bars that are shaped like axles. Sometimes there is a cover plate that holds the frame in and it has a hole for the end of one grate bar that sticks out for the shaker handle.

With coal grates, that shaker handle bar would be geared to the other grate bar so that when one is turned, the other bar rotates in the opposite direction to grind up clinkers between them and dump the ash into the ash pan under the grates.

So, there's no way to know what type of grates the stove had originally without that frame, or if there was a cover plate, would there be one hole near the middle of the plate (or frame) for a wood grate,... or would there be one hole off center for two coal grate bars ?

You'll need to not only find the coal grate bars, you'll have to find the frame that they fit into.... and if there was a cover plate to hole the frame in.

Try asking our resident professional long-time stove restorers. Wilson of wilsonswoodstoves, or Emery of The Stove Hospital.

Paul

Spinks

Post by Spinks » Fri. Nov. 30, 2018 9:44 am

Sounds like it's gonna be tough to find the coal grate bars or the frame for a Crawford Grand Number 7, according to The Stove Hospital. Anybody have a visual reference for what these parts should look like? I found a "summer grate" for a Crawford Stove, but since I have no idea what my grate should look like, I can't tell if it can be adapted. It shouldn't be that hard to have something fabricated if I could just figure out what I'm making.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Nov. 30, 2018 11:56 am

Have you tried Wilson ?

Or Barnstable Stove in RI, or Bryant's Stove in Maine, or Woodman's Parts in New Hampshire ? There's still plenty of places to check, even if you can just find someone with the same Crawford frame and grate bars that will loan them to use as patterns to have recasts made by Tomahawk Foundry.

Tomahawk may have already made castings that will work ???

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”