Fuller Warren Co No 10

Taku
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fuller Warren Co No 10?

Post by Taku » Mon. Jun. 04, 2018 10:23 pm

I have cleaned this older coal fired stove up for display it in my home. It is a three legged unit and I think it is largely intact. We will not be using it for heating. I would like to find out when it was made, however, and was hoping that someone in the forum could give me some leads. My understanding is that the company went out of business in the early 1930's, but the date of this model is a complete mystery. I have gathered from reading that this unit dates from later in the company history.

For purposes of the photo I threw in a light to help show the front scroll work.

IMG_2441 copy.jpg
.JPG | 97.9KB | IMG_2441 copy.jpg

The stove has the following information cast into the front panels:

The Fuller Warren Company
Milwaukee, Chicago
No. 10

Any information would be appreciated.

Don

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jun. 04, 2018 10:53 pm

Welcome Don. That's a beauty !!!

Sometimes stove makers used the date as part of the stove's part numbers - usually cast into surfaces that don't show from outside the stove. Have you looked to see if there are any part numbers hidden inside or under the stove ?

Paul

Taku

Post by Taku » Mon. Jun. 04, 2018 11:40 pm

Thanks for the lead Paul. Every panel on the stove has a number of one kind or another, but on the inside of the ash door, and the inside of the main feed door is the following, "10FW Co F 98". Would that suggest an 1898 manufacturing date? Other parts on the stove have two digit numbers like "17" and "18".

Don

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jun. 05, 2018 12:12 am

It's possible the 98 is the year the patterns were made. Especially if you see that the 98 is used on other parts. It looks very similar to a picture of another F&W stove I saw online that was listed as 1898.

And, it might be a later build than 1898 ???? Some manufacturers used the same patterns to cast parts for more than one year of a stove's production life time and didn't change the date numbers affixed to the pattern at the start of another year of production. So later made parts might still show that first year's number. I know that Glenwood did that quite a bit.

This is the slow season on here. We have some members more knowledgeable of F&W stoves. Hopefully they will check in and can tell you more.

Paul

Taku

Post by Taku » Tue. Jun. 05, 2018 9:41 am

Great information Paul. I will keep poking around to see what I can find. No big hurry on this end, but looking forward to any additional information that might be out there.

Don

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Tue. Jun. 05, 2018 6:11 pm

I’ve been told by folks far more knowledgeable than I am, that three legged stoves are very early to accommodate the uneven floors in old homes.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Jun. 15, 2018 10:10 pm

DSC00155.JPG

My Stanley Argand at work

.JPG | 56.3KB | DSC00155.JPG
My Stanley Argand sat on three legs. These stoves were meant to be upgrades from an open fireplace grate. I bet the hearths and fire places were often not level. Anyway just as a side note these stoves crank out the heat for their size. And many of these Fuller &Warren stoves of this beautiful design have indirect base burner flues which doubles their efficiency.

Taku

Post by Taku » Wed. Jun. 20, 2018 11:18 am

Yes, I can see that a three legged stove would make the most sense when placed on an irregular surface like a hearth.

I am not familiar with indirect base burner flues. This stove vents directly from the burner chamber to the chimney, however. I have the cast elbow piece that attaches to the stove and then chimney pipe, but removed it from the stove to allow it to sit closer to the wall. There is a shield of more recent manufacture that wraps around the back of the stove. Am not sure if it is a replacement or a modern adaptation. It has caused problems as the mounting screws used are those for the green discs (some kind of fiber) and tightening has caused them to crack.

Don

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”