stick with coal

coalstovelady

Post by coalstovelady » Tue. Apr. 03, 2018 12:12 pm

Hello again. I never got a bill like this in my life. (see attachment) I know prices have gone up but ..... This bill was to run a 10' flex pipe from my gas line located in the basement beneath my kitchen, up to my kitchen for my new dual fuel gas stove with electric oven. Previously I only had an electric stove in that location of my kitchen so the flex line needed to be brought upstairs next to the electric cord. Nobody was here 5 1/2 hours. I asked after I received the bill so I suppose it is my fault that I didn't get an estimate first. He charges $100 per hour. Apparently he charges to look over the job beforehand too. I had him come to look over the job before ordering the stove. It is a very expensive stove, something I saved for as I always wanted a gas cooking stove. He was here about 5 minutes, looked at the location for the stove and looked in the basement at the gas line black pipe that had extensions on it from my prior plumber when he installed my new furnace in 2015. I ordered the stove and it arrived. The plumber men came, two of them, then needed to run for parts and returned. When they were leaving, my stove was not against the wall which was a requirement of the job. It was about a foot from the wall. I have a depth space requirement. That is a corner with two doors leading to other areas of my home. Can't have a stove in the way. The plumber/owner knew that. We talked about that. The new stove has a large cutout on the lower back for the gas and electric connections so that was not an issue. The men had to leave for another job and said they would have to come back next week. The next week I phoned the owner to tell him the men didn't flush the stove with the wall and didn't meet the requirements. He came and fiddled around and got the stove about an inch from the wall. It could be better but it's ok. He squished the flex pipe, didn't change any elbows or fittings. Then I received this bill. He said they were here 3 times. I have learned a lesson. Ask beforehand on what will be charged and the hourly rate. I hope you all learn from my bad experience. I believe some of you are plumbers. I guess this is SOP? Have a nice day. coalstovelady

Attachments

HPIM3380.JPG
.JPG | 50.9KB | HPIM3380.JPG
HPIM3366.JPG
.JPG | 44KB | HPIM3366.JPG

archangel_cpj

Post by archangel_cpj » Fri. Apr. 06, 2018 2:33 pm

Seems very steep to me first of all estimates and quotes are always free anymore... Just some quick numbers in my head 1/2in black fittings are cheap the yellow flex pipe is pricey but I don't think there is 75 bucks in materials there... I'm not sure what he did but 5 hours seems long... I ran into situations when married and my girlfriend still does where a contractor will give her a quote then I call and know what I'm talking about and bam totally different quote... I'm not saying that happened here but next time I'd run the quote by a guy or even us on here..

OH and I wouldn't be paying a 700 dollar bill either.... Did you sign a contract??? Sounds like no as you were surprised by the number... May I suggest you go on Home Depots web site look up the parts you have on that invoice and you may be very surprised on what he marked them up... If no contract I'd come up with a fair price and basically say I'll give you say 300 bucks or come take your stuff ..

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Fri. Apr. 06, 2018 7:59 pm

I remember looking at the gas line, and capped nipple that your previous plumber installed. I would have been shocked if the invoice was over $250.

Paulie

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Apr. 06, 2018 11:13 pm

The first inspection by the owner should have determined the parts needed and eliminated the time consuming trip to get them. A quote for the job also should have been given at that time.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Apr. 07, 2018 7:03 am

Lots of shoulda, coulda, woulda's. Yep, I'm sure CSL has learned from this experience.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Apr. 07, 2018 8:50 am

I suggest you speak with the company and tell them the final bill came out to much more than you expected, and see if they will work with you on the amount. As franco pointed out, a real professional would have determined what parts were necessary on the first visit. If the are belligerent or rude to you, tell them you had hoped this could be resolved without involving your attorney.

I had a gas range in my rental house replaced this past summer. The gas company charged me $150 for the service call, and $30 for the flex connector.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Apr. 07, 2018 9:22 am

Had a similar occurrence at our other house. Melissa made the calls. And a similar case of a plumber taking advantage of a woman.

Had to change the old, leaking water shutoff valve in the basement, but the curb valve was frozen. Plumber sent two teenagers to dig down to the pipe in the lawn to freeze it so I could come there and replace the shutoff in the basement. One kid dug while the other sat on a bucket and texted the whole two hours to dig down to the pipe. Then they tried to pack bags of ice around the pipe, ..... in August. Said they didn't have the nitrogen tank to freeze it. Finally the boss went and got the nitrogen tank. After I changed the valve the kids came back and threw most of the dirt in the hole. I had to rake much of it out of the lawn because they didn't put down a tarp first.

Shortly after we got a bill from that plumber for $1400.00 listing over 20 man hours, plus a ridiculously high charge to rent the nitrogen tank. Called around to some other plumbers and got estimates to do the exact same job. They averaged $350.00, so we sent a check to the plumber for that amount, with a respectful letter explaining how his man-hours were off, how his workers were unprofessional/unqualified, and listing the estimates we got from his competitors. And we stated that if he was going to insist on being paid that amount of his bill, then we were going to contact the Better Business Bureau and the Country Attorney General's Office.

We never heard from that plumber again.

Paul

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Apr. 07, 2018 11:16 am

We never heard from that plumber again.
That is because he moved to Orange County where his prices were very competitive.

coalstovelady

Post by coalstovelady » Sat. Nov. 10, 2018 8:53 am

Sunny Boy: I will never use that plumber again. It appears I'm not the only one who was taken advantage of and I'm sorry you had to experience this too. Sometimes we learn the hard way but you handled it properly. I paid the bill in full but never fail to mention the experience to friends and neighbors. He won't get a good reference from me that's for certain. I've missed talking to you all. I can't seem to navigate this forum easily but I recognize some of your names from before.

Popi44046
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hitzer model 75
Baseburners & Antiques: Hutch BPH
Coal Size/Type: Nut / anthracite
Other Heating: Propane gas forced air furnace

Post by Popi44046 » Sat. Dec. 01, 2018 5:05 pm

As a former contractor that job probably should have been 350 or less. But I always get a written estimate first. I don't know that you have much recourse though because you didn't have a deal before hand.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sat. Dec. 01, 2018 6:01 pm

I would be retired if I could make that kind of money on a simple job.

Kevin

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”