Glenwood #6 Brick Molds & Pattern Casting

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Apr. 09, 2018 8:29 pm

Pauliewog wrote:
Mon. Apr. 09, 2018 5:29 pm
I'm with Sunny Boy on that idea. After the fire department gets done hosing the stove down, yer gonna have axe holes to patch in the roof and a lot of parts to have recast !

The axle grease should hold up well in the summer and also act as a no pest strip. ....... a good place for the flies and mosquitos to stick.

If you marinate the bricks in gear oil...... That should keep everything from sticking around.

I'm not sure if there is any type of coating other than something like Teflon that will eliminate the clinker buildup. Once Teflon is scratched up, that doesn't help anyway.

Like I mentioned before, I never had that type of buildup in over 50 years of burning coal with any of my stoves. :o

Paulie
You must have the really good coal. :D

Try it with red ash coal that has lots of iron in it. :o It's like somebody arc welded iron clinkers into the bricks. And being that the fused iron is all an oxide, trying to grind it off it gets to be quite a challenge. :o

Paul

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Mon. Apr. 09, 2018 9:57 pm

Paul, I had that exact same response a couple hrs ago, but my post got all screwed up, so I nixed it for later. And you took the words right out of my mouth. " I never had that type of build-up in 50 years of burning!?" Paulie, I want to see some pics of your bricks. (Not the new ones either.) ;)
Sunny Boy wrote:
Mon. Apr. 09, 2018 8:50 am

The neighbors will see that black cloud and think you blew another engine.

Paul
Hey! What-da-ya mean?! I never blew an engine....in this house....with these neighbors. Maybe else where, back in time....about 40 yrs ago. But don't remember mentioning it here. And I get the point from you guys, "No axle grease". How bout some POR 15? :annoyed:

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Apr. 09, 2018 10:14 pm

Joe,
That's a POR choice for inside a stove. ;)

Paul

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Apr. 09, 2018 10:31 pm

"Yuk Yuk Yuk."
(Say goodnight Dick.) :out:

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Tue. Apr. 10, 2018 1:05 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Mon. Apr. 09, 2018 8:29 pm
You must have the really good coal. :D

Try it with red ash coal that has lots of iron in it. :o It's like somebody arc welded iron clinkers into the bricks. And being that the fused iron is all an oxide, trying to grind it off it gets to be quite a challenge. :o

Paul
I'm familiar with the red ash vein in our area and when we mined it I always mixed it with the Pittston or the Marcy.

As far as grinding or chipping it off of a firepot or refractory........ Oh yeah It's harder than porcelain! I tried to take it off using a 40 hp Wheelabrator steel shot blaster and it barely touched it. Your analogy of it looking like it was welded on pretty much sums it up. In fact I would prefer to grind off weld than those clinkers. :lol:

Not burning anything special as far as coal goes, this year it's been mostly Reading and Susquehanna, about a ton of Blaschack and 20 bags of Santa Claus that came with a stove I picked up.

The ash from the base burner is mostly powder and the bigger chunks I can crush with my hand and the stoker doesn't seem to care what I feed it.

This winter has been up and down with weeks of zero weather and weeks of 60* & 70* days and the rest anywhere between.

The stove has been running anywhere from 650* down to 180* since the day it was first lit so when I finally shut it down I'll take pictures of the refractory and see how it held up. :D

Paulie

Pauliewog
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.

Post by Pauliewog » Tue. Apr. 10, 2018 1:17 am

joeq wrote:
Mon. Apr. 09, 2018 9:57 pm
Paul, I had that exact same response a couple hrs ago, but my post got all screwed up, so I nixed it for later. And you took the words right out of my mouth. " I never had that type of build-up in 50 years of burning!?" Paulie, I want to see some pics of your bricks. (Not the new ones either.) ;)

[ And I get the point from you guys, "No axle grease". How bout some POR 15? :annoyed:
I love POR 15 but since they strongly recommend you don't use it on headers............ Im thinking they would have a stroke if you asked them about coating the inside of a firepot.

I sold the round firepot stoves with the old shop but I will post pics of the firepot on the base burner when I shut it down. :D

What brand refractory did you use to make the bricks in the 111 ?

Good night John Boy :lol:

Paulie

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Apr. 10, 2018 5:27 am

I wuz kidding about any type of coatings on the bricks, but threw it out there thinking maybe there is some kinda " magic potion" that I'm not aware of.
Paulie, the refractory I used was Rutland castable, and it seems to work fine. Can't really blame it on the clinkers, can I?

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Apr. 10, 2018 2:56 pm

I wondered if a good rub of graphite into the dried brick faces would help prevent the clinkers from fusing. But then, I remembered that graphite will burn at such high temps.

I have some mica powder I use for reloading shotgun shells to prevent plastic wad buildup in the barrel from high pressure and friction heat. I may take one of my spare top bricks and give that a try.

Paul

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Apr. 10, 2018 5:46 pm

"Gun powder!!? In a coal fire!!? That's should get most of the clinkers off." :lol:

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Apr. 10, 2018 6:12 pm

joeq wrote:
Tue. Apr. 10, 2018 5:46 pm
"Gun powder!!? In a coal fire!!? That's should get most of the clinkers off." :lol:
Not quite. :D

It's called "motor mica". It's a dry, high temp, lubricating powder made from ground up stove windows. :lol:

Paul

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Wed. Apr. 11, 2018 12:33 am

Hmmmm..... Powdered mica, that has possibilities. Do you plan on just rubbing it on or using some type of a bonding agent ?

Paulie

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Apr. 11, 2018 9:05 am

I can't think of a bonding agent for the mica that would hold up to those temps, so it looks like just rubbing it into the "pores" of such a rough surface is the only option ??????

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=mica& ... PerPage=48

Another high-temp lube I'm going to try is Never Seez brand nickel anti-seize.

And the nickel is good for 2400F.
https://www.amazon.com/Never-Seez-NSBT-16N-Anti-S ... e+compound

I use the nickel as a lube on moving parts inside the stove, such as the direct/indirect and MPD damper axles. The nickel stays in the cast iron's surface to act as a high temp lube.

It may stick better to the surface of the brick's ????

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Apr. 11, 2018 3:52 pm

Well, that coating a brick test will have to wait. Bad news for the test, but good news for another test, too.

I let the firebed level get down low enough so that I could push the remaining hot coals away enough to have one top row brick clear to lift out. But the fine ash has filled in the gaps between bricks so well that there isn't enough slack to lift a single brick out. I'll have to wait until I can clean out more gaps to get all the bricks moved sideways and make more slack.

The good news is that, .... at least the gaps have filled in well enough that the bricks stay in place without becoming jammed in so tight that they might crack or be a tough job to replace if they ever do crack. ;)

Paul

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Apr. 11, 2018 5:04 pm

I think once you hit them with your Sawz-All, and your metal cutting blade, those bricks will fall right out Paul.

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Wed. Apr. 11, 2018 6:25 pm

I had an interesting conversation with the rep from Rutland Refractory about the clinkers sticking and of course getting me a better price. :D

We got on the subject of the block porosity caused by entrapped air bubbles even after vibrating and tapping the sides of the form.

It's possible that when the molten silica and iron oxide fills these small craters they act like a concrete anchor and a platform for the slag to build on.

What are your thoughts on mixing up the mica powder with a small amount of thinned out refractory cement and wiping it on the face of the bricks? He couldn't give an answer if it would affect the cure but encouraged us to give it a try.

The nickel ant- sieze as a binder for the mica powder should help.

Hey Joe, do your bricks have any air pockets in the face ?

Paulie

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”