Live acorn 8 cook stove

Gth
Other Heating: Live acorn 8 cook stove

Post by Gth » Thu. Mar. 15, 2018 9:21 pm

We are trying to restore a live acorn 8 cook stove. Made by Rathbone, Sard & co. 1890
We're looking for info on it and a few missing parts.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Mar. 16, 2018 10:30 am

Congrats,....and condolences. :D
Acorn stoves are beautiful, but extremely rare, making it very tough to find parts.

R&S advertisments claim they built over a million Acorn stoves, but good luck finding any. I suspect the reason for the low survival rate might be that their castings didn't hold up well to long-term use. That's based on my personal contact with a National model Acorn range belonging to my in-laws, that had many heat-cracked plates, and 10 years of looking online for parts to repair that Acorn range. I couldn't find any parts for it, and in the end, the range was sold to a restoration shop when the house was sold a few years ago.

You might try contacting the many stove restoration shops and see if they have ever had that model, track it down and see if the parts can be loaned to use as patterns to have recasts made by Tomahawk Foundry. Tomahawk specializes in that type of foundry work.

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”