Mikey tried it and liked it!

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Thu. Feb. 22, 2018 8:38 pm

Hi all! I've had the pleasure of burning stove, 'nut, and pea size coal in my Home Sparkle 12. A couple of days ago the outside temps climbed into the 40's and yesterday 60 something up here in central Maine. I didn't want to shut the base burner down or have a stove full of ash and unburnt coal so I topped it off with about 10 lbs of pea on Tuesday morning and when I came home 10 hours later the fire was still strong, burning slow, and easy to bring back Tuesday night. I stayed with the pea and I must say it pokes down like butter and shakes as smooth. Flossing the grates are a lot easier with no big chunks to move so the ash can fall. The pea burns down to baby powder like the other sizes with very little if any falling though the grates. I do need to add coal in 2 increments instead of one big load but the extra 10 minutes allows me to type this post...and in the a.m. I have less coal to replace before I head out. The stove is putting out awesome heat if needed and idles down like a '74 Monte Carlo.
If you guys with the old stoves have any, try it you might like it!

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 5:01 am

This is after 8 hours, the fire is mature and would go another 10 hours if needed. I'll shake and poke for 10 seconds and top it off with 5 lbs or so and head out for the day.

Attachments

IMG_20180223_045523796.jpg
.JPG | 282.1KB | IMG_20180223_045523796.jpg

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 5:43 am

Nice! This post gives me hope that I may be able to utilize the same pea coal that I burn in my AHS Coal Gun in my DS ComfortMax 75.

How deep a bed do you load in when you are burning pea?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 5:49 am

Experimenting with coal sizing is fun. You might have seen that I use a blanket of pea and buckwheat size over a load of stove size when temps are mild outside. I can get the stove to go from nearly zero heat output to blast furnace in about 15 minutes. It's the best of both worlds.

Looks great man,
Keep up the good work! ;)

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 6:23 am

This has not worked out well for me in the past. On warm days it slows the fire too much, causing the draft to drop which results in a CO detector screaming.

I find that CLEAN stove size running all closed up in base mode, with the internal check damper open, will result in barrel temps below 200*F.

If this is still too much heat I can run in DD but then the pile eventually cools off and starts to go out.

I’m shut down now as temps all week will have highs in the mid to upper 40’s. Burning coal with the windows open wastes coal. With these OAT’s burning a gallon or so of oil makes more sense.....for me.

🤯

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 8:18 am

Salt and Peppering the top of fire bed works good. I put too much on and had to poke 3 holes down to grates for it to breathe. Stove can run low and slow.

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 4:48 pm

lsayre wrote:
Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 5:43 am
Nice! This post gives me hope that I may be able to utilize the same pea coal that I burn in my AHS Coal Gun in my DS ComfortMax 75.

How deep a bed do you load in when you are burning pea?
My lined pot is 10 inches across and about 14 inches deep. With 4 - 6 inches of fire in the pot I thow in 3 - 4 inches of fresh, wait a cup of coffee, then another 3 - 4 inches of fresh. I don't need to fill 100%, 80% keeps me in the 12 hour burn routine.

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 4:50 pm

Lightning wrote:
Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 5:49 am
Experimenting with coal sizing is fun. You might have seen that I use a blanket of pea and buckwheat size over a load of stove size when temps are mild outside. I can get the stove to go from nearly zero heat output to blast furnace in about 15 minutes. It's the best of both worlds.

Looks great man,
Keep up the good work! ;)
Thanks Lee, I agree it's fun to see what works. Like you said the response is fun to watch when a load of pea gets going! The blues seem more dynamic.

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 5:09 pm

scalabro wrote:
Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 6:23 am
This has not worked out well for me in the past. On warm days it slows the fire too much, causing the draft to drop which results in a CO detector screaming.

I find that CLEAN stove size running all closed up in base mode, with the internal check damper open, will result in barrel temps below 200*F.

If this is still too much heat I can run in DD but then the pile eventually cools off and starts to go out.

I’m shut down now as temps all week will have highs in the mid to upper 40’s. Burning coal with the windows open wastes coal. With these OAT’s burning a gallon or so of oil makes more sense.....for me.

🤯
I won't see 40's for few more weeks...Scott if I lived alone I wouldn't have a machine in my basement that burns oil. ;)

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 5:25 pm

Micheal, you had a 60° day in Feb. in Maine?! Did you find my mushrooms? :lol:
Freaky, ain't it? We had that here too. I hope people don't start gettin sick from the temp swings. I let mine go out like Scotty said, (the other day), but last night the temps were to drop into the 20s, and I couldn't stand looking at a dark stove, so I refired with Matchlite. Takes less than a couple hours to get back on line, so I started with LA stove, but 1/2 way up, topped off with nut. And as I/we've all shared in the past, nut will go longer than stove. Now you're saying you had good luck with pea? I tried pea in my 111 at 1st, but they would just fall through the grate, into the ash pan. But I'm guessin you have half a pot of nut ( singing...Chock full of nut, makes heavenly coffee?.... why did I think of that? Never mind :shifty: )
So with the coal bed burning hot, you drop the pea on top, and it'll go longer than nut? Lee says he uses rice, and if I remember right, some-one else said they use their fines to cover up the coal bed. I don't have any pea, but have a bunch of TSC fines that I'll give a try. Thanks for posting. :yes:
Last edited by joeq on Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 5:29 pm

joeq wrote:
Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 5:25 pm
Micheal, you had a 60° day in Feb. in Maine?! Did you find my mushrooms? :lol:
Freaky, ain't it? We had that here too. I hope people don't start gettin sick from the temp swings. I let mine go out like Scotty said, (the other day), but last night the temps were to drop into the 20s, and I couldn't stand looking at a dark stove, so I refired with Matchlite. Takes less than a couple hours to get back on line, so I started with LA stove, but 1/2 way up, topped off with nut. And as I/we've all shared in the past, nut will go longer than stove. Now you're saying you had good luck with pea? I tried pea in my 111 at 1st, but they would just fall through the grate, into the ash pan. But I'm guessin you have half a pot of nut ( singing...Chalk full of nut, makes heavenly coffee?.... why did I think of that? Never mind :shifty: )
So with the coal bed burning hot, you drop the pea on top, and it'll go longer than nut? Lee says he uses rice, and if I remember right, some-one else said they use their fines to cover up the coal bed. I don't have any pea, but have a bunch of TSC fines that I'll give a try. Thanks for posting. :yes:
I've been 100% pea since weds. with a nice bed of ash anything is possible!

joeq

Post by joeq » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 5:42 pm

Curious if you ever posted a picture of your grate?

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 5:55 pm

joeq wrote:
Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 5:42 pm
Curious if you ever posted a picture of your grate?
I will soon...guttah make a calzone, you know what I'ma taulkin' abouw?

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 6:14 pm

Yo Mikey! How you doin?

We gonna call you “Mikey the pea” from now on, got it? 🤪

Make sure youse keep dem Mano #’s up a bit at nite wit dat pea so’s you don’t check out !!

Ohh!!!

joeq

Post by joeq » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 6:26 pm

And by the way Mikey, your stove pic above looks "really" nice, purrin away up there. NICE. :yes:

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”