Just another GW #6

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Feb. 01, 2018 8:56 pm

Took a long time to get a place for the Glenwood #6 base heater I bought from Wilson. Finally did the light-off today.

Paulie was right about cooking me out.

The stove is in the living room outside my office door. My office has never been this warm - even with the oil furnace running. Sitting at my desk near the outside wall, I'm borderline sweating in a long sleeve tee shirt.

The furnace stopped running back when I had the firepot only about half full. The furnace thermostat is on the far wall in the dining room and the temp there has climbed to 4 degrees higher than I have the set point. And, I backed off the kitchen range to an idle. It's at the far end of the kitchen from the dinning room door. Kitchen is 72.

Cracked open one of the living rm double doors to the TV room about 8 inches. That room has always been the coldest on the first floor. It's on the NE corner of the house, one wall is three sets of tall French doors. Even with the oil furnace set to higher temps, we need lap robes sitting in there while watching TV. Now it's comfortable in there and no need of lap robes.

And it's neat to see the blue/white jets of flames about 4-5 inches long at each of the gas ring holes. I'll have to see if I can get a picture of those like William did with his #6.

Gonna run it for about a week to get some base line numbers and then install the magazine and see what changes that makes.

An other plus, no fans being used to move the heat around. No electrons were hurt in the running of this base heater. :D

Paul

Attachments

DSCN5787.JPG
.JPG | 288.9KB | DSCN5787.JPG
DSCN5772.JPG
.JPG | 245.9KB | DSCN5772.JPG

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Thu. Feb. 01, 2018 9:04 pm

Congratulations Paul 👍

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Thu. Feb. 01, 2018 9:09 pm

Oh baby another 6 in the family! Good job Paul, cookin' with coal takes on new meaning. :D

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Feb. 01, 2018 9:13 pm

Thanks, Scott.

It's taken longer than I hoped, but I kept letting lots of other projects got in the way. After getting tired of hearing the furnace run so much with the recent bitter cold, I finally got fed up enough to make a push to get it set up.

Still haven't heard the furnace come on since shortly after I started burying the charcoal fire with coal. :D

Paul

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Thu. Feb. 01, 2018 9:15 pm

Finally !!! :clap:

Welcome to heating with coal instead of just cookin with coal. :P :)

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Feb. 01, 2018 9:17 pm

michaelanthony wrote:
Thu. Feb. 01, 2018 9:09 pm
Oh baby another 6 in the family! Good job Paul, cookin' with coal takes on new meaning. :D
And another stove to cook on. ;)

When Melissa saw how big the tea shelf is on the stove's "bustle", she smiled and said, "I can cook on that, too !" :lol:

Paul

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Thu. Feb. 01, 2018 9:19 pm

Looking good Paul. Now you can take your longjohns off, and put shorts on.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Feb. 01, 2018 9:22 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:
Thu. Feb. 01, 2018 9:15 pm
Finally !!! :clap:

Welcome to heating with coal instead of just cookin with coal. :P :)
Thanks Dave. In a sense, it's already done some cooking. While I had it in direct draft, building up the firebed, I had to take the tea kettle off because it got so hot that it boiling the water out the spout.

And then there's even more room to cook if I swing the bonnet off to the side. ;)

I think tomorrow's breakfast eggs are going to be fried on it while I do the grate rotate/shake and refuel it.

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Feb. 01, 2018 9:24 pm

mntbugy wrote:
Thu. Feb. 01, 2018 9:19 pm
I had to take my work shirt off. Just a long sleeve tee shirt to sit here in the office.

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Feb. 01, 2018 10:41 pm

Well, it's been 7 hours since I started the #6.

The OAT has dropped over 20 degrees, the wind is blowing snow sideways, the furnace has not come on since shortly after starting the stove, both coal stoves have been set to idle for the last couple of hours, and the house has still gotten warmer as the steady heat from the #6 is soaking into everything it can reach.

I was surprised to see it got so cold and windy when I went out to put the garbage out. Normally, I can tell when it's gotten colder outside - the house feels colder and I hear the furnace run longer and more often. But with the steady heat of the #6, there's no up/down of room temps, or noise of the furnace.

I think I'll keep this one. :D

Paul

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Fri. Feb. 02, 2018 4:59 am

Haahaa! I remember thinking how cold it must be outside because the furnace would be running more than it would rest. Now I run it once every couple of weeks to make sure it still works! :lol:
...edit: your experiences are causing sleep deprivation for us stove addicts :o

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Fri. Feb. 02, 2018 7:09 am

Paul...is that nut coal?.
Report back when you shake it. I've had bad luck with nut coal in the #8 unless it's sitting on a bed of stove size.

Also, you shouldn't cook yourself out with that stove. It's got a wicked creeper gear so choke it down where you don't need the winders open.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Feb. 02, 2018 7:30 am

awesome, some of the best news in a little while for me. :clap:

i'm looking forward to giving one a go next season too.

as your sig imply's there are so many worthy stoves to try out and so little time and space to build a full collection :lol: :lol:

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Feb. 02, 2018 8:31 am

When I came downstairs this morning, I was greeted by "Moira's" warm smile ! :D

It got down to 12F last night. Both the range and the #6 were topped off and idled back before I went to bed. This morning the entire first floor (over 1500 sq ft) is comfortable in the mid 60's, except the kitchen, which is 70F. In the dinning room, right around the corner from the stove is the back stairs. I have half of upstairs closed off, the open half stayed 65 F.

We have electric base board heat in the 10 x 10 upstairs bathroom at the top of those stairs. Last night I left the heater off and the door open. Bathroom was 65F also.

This is 17 rooms, 4000 sq ft on two floors, of old drafty Victorian. High ceilings, 55 tall windows and no insulation. Tough to keep a candle lit on a windy night. :lol:

The #6 is in a large living room gutted for major rebuild, so the outside walls - which are facing the north and west winds, are only the outside sheathing - no insulation, or plaster and lath. Yet those walls are 65 F with it 12 F outside. :D

Just using nut coal for now. It took 1-1/2 coal buckets to fill her up yesterday. That's right around 50 pounds of nut coal. By 7 am this morning the firepot level had dropped about 2 inches, but has an overall healthy glow.

After topping it off last night before bed, I closed both rotary primaries to 1/4 inch wide at the outer ends of the slots. Secondary was fully closed to let the gas ring do it's job (it does it very well). The MPD was fully closed. At 7 am the top of the barrel was in the low 400F, pipe at the thimble was 140F (8 feet of pipe + two 90 degree elbows, stove to thimble), mano was .045. Tea shelf around to the kettle was 400+.

One other question was if the 4 x 5 heath board the stove is sitting on was going to be enough to shield the hard wood floor under it. Last night, running for several hours in base heater mode the IR gun showed 123 F as the hottest area - under the right rear of the base. I have a large roasting pan from my gas oven, that I've never used. I put it under the middle of the base just for added protection, plus I can slide it out to catch any stray ash when clearing ashes.

With twice the coal holding capacity and twice the firebed depth, the old girl responds quite differently than her sister stove in the kitchen. Now I know why kitchen ranges don't have deeper fireboxes. This # 6 takes much longer to respond to changes in damper settings.

So now, my damper setting learning curve is back to being a circle. :lol:

Paul

Attachments

DSCN5788.JPG
.JPG | 141.1KB | DSCN5788.JPG
DSCN5790.JPG
.JPG | 177KB | DSCN5790.JPG

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Feb. 02, 2018 8:38 am

mntbugy wrote:
Thu. Feb. 01, 2018 9:19 pm
If I get the living room insulated and finished, as Paulie pointed out, I'll be roasting even in shorts. :o

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”