Just another GW #6

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 7:31 pm

joeq wrote:
Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 7:16 pm
So here's a question, seeing we have 2 extremes right now, Paul, just substantially decreased his combustion chamber with the addition of the mag, and Scott just increased his another huge amount. I'm not sure about the coal capacity comparisons of the 2 stoves, but wondering about the potential differences in either heat out-put, or burn times. Not compared to each others, but from OEM, to their modified states. Pauls would be a little more accurate, because he's been running a while, B4 the mag install. But because Scott has had the extended barrel from the beginning, might be a little more difficult to compare.
I would assume the extended barrel would be good for better heat/room transfer, and Pauls mod would benefit more with longer burn times. So I guess the 2 mods aren't a good comparison, because they're both accomplishing 2 different objectives.
Two diferent things Joe.

Scott increased the heat radiating surface area of his stove to extract more of the heat being generated.

I increased the fuel storage area inside my stove and reduced the tending time needed. One benefit MIGHT be that it increases the barrel surface temp by pushing the hottest gases closer to the barrel. I've yet to see clear proof of that, but it's early goings.

What I have seen is my stove tending time is about 1/10th what it was without the mag. And there is no wasted heat output requiring recovery time. It was about 5 minutes from dampers opened to dampers reset, including ash shaking, empting the ashes, and topping off the mag again.

If I had two ash pans and only had to swap them, I could reduce that dampers opened to dampers reset time even more. ;)

Paul

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 8:14 pm

Time to bend up a large second pan!

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 8:28 pm

Jumping in quick. Put bonnet/swing top back on stove. Barrel temp under oven went up 38 degrees. than with it off. 6 hours after fresh load.

Would like to see some numbers. Barrel temp, mag temp about center height, and mag contents temp. When warmed back up.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 8:32 pm

Or, you could put a trap door, under the stove, and let the ashes fall into a storage bin, for spring time removal. Didn't Paulie just go to a homeowner in a turn of the century house, with a cooktop, with that set-up?
(Hey, MB just bumped me) :roll:

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 8:36 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 7:31 pm
Two diferent things Joe.

Scott increased the heat radiating surface area of his stove to extract more of the heat being generated.

I increased the fuel storage area inside my stove and reduced the tending time needed. One benefit MIGHT be that it increases the barrel surface temp by pushing the hottest gases closer to the barrel. I've yet to see clear proof of that, but it's early goings.

Paul
I remember some-one stating these antique stoves were built with the capacity of these barrels to be the most efficient, for the stove design and capacity. Guess the combustion chamber area isn't as sensitive to it as they thought.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 8:37 pm

Lightning wrote:
Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 4:00 pm
Is the layering really necessary? I mean, why not just shake it down and load it up?
When running my G109 hard I get the coal bed down to just above my grate after tending. I fill the pot completely with fresh coal and never had an issue. Could be my stove...bb design...small pot??

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 8:51 pm

Do you throw stove or nut coal on Tom?

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 9:18 pm

joeq wrote:
Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 8:51 pm
Do you throw stove or nut coal on Tom?
Ah nuts!!!

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 8:39 am

tcalo wrote:
Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 9:18 pm
Ah nuts!!!
Hey, lets not get personal !!! :lol:

Paul

Attachments

Full of nuts.JPG
.JPG | 161.8KB | Full of nuts.JPG

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 9:04 am

It's been almost 10 hours since I reloaded the #6 for the night.

This time I really made sure the mag was as full as possible. Shook ashes until the glow-show through the primary dampers. Filled the mag and shook it a bit more. Tamped down on the top of the coal column and topped it off. This time that at all took about 8 minutes from Dampers open to dampers reset. Through all that, I never had to open the loading door, so the barrel temp only dropped about 10 degrees near the top.

There's no exhaust smell coming from the mag with the top cover off - the mano showed only a slight drop in negative pressure, but stayed well high enough that there's no exhaust leak up through the mag. Having the mag top open long enough to add coal, does not noticeably affect the firebed.

It was 10F outside last night, so I set the primaries to 1/3 open, the MPD fully shut. Mano was a steady .04.

This morning, looking in the loading door windows, I can see there's still coal coming from the mag. The firebed is still full to the top of the firebricks, but not up onto the top edge like when I first filled the empty mag. Occasionally, I can hear the scraping of coal sliding down inside it.

OAT is 11F and starting to snow lightly.
The barrel near the top is 441F (597F near bottom edge of barrel).
The pipe near the thimble is 143F.
The mano is a steady .04.
The hearth board under the right rear (hottest) is 138F.

Since there's still coal in the mag, I'm waiting until it's gone ten hours (in about 15 minutes from now) before ashing & reloading. Then I'll measure how much coal and time it takes to ash, reload, and reset.

Stay tuned.

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 9:43 am

Ok, It had been ten hours since I last ashed and reloaded, so I just reloaded the mag, shook ashes until the glow-show, then topped off the mag again. Total time that the dampers were opened until dampers reset, including dumping ash out in the driveway, was 8 minutes.

That time includes stopping to get the camera and snapping the picture below, of how the level dropped about 3/4 of the way down in the mag.

The barrel side near the top only dropped about 20F this time. It stayed 597F near the bottom of the barrel.

This time I also watched the mano. Started out at .04. When I opened the MPD and DD damper, it climbed to .08. Next, when I opened the mag lid to pour coal in it went to .10

After filling the mag, when I closed the mag lid it dropped back to .08 until I reset the dampers. Then it slowly dropped back to .04 (that seems to be it's cruising speed). So, having the lid of the mag open, it's not leaking exhaust out, but some air in feeding the top of the firebed.

In ten hours (Joe's time interval :D ) it used half of a number 17 antique coal bucket. That's about 17-18 pounds of nut coal. And as you can see in the picture, the mag was not empty. I'm guessing by that, that I could have waited until about 12 hours passed to ash and reload the 20 pounds of nut that the mag holds.

Paul

Attachments

DSCN5853.JPG
.JPG | 361.4KB | DSCN5853.JPG
Last edited by Sunny Boy on Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 9:43 am

Paul,
Very interesting thread. Your 'tech writer' skills are still within you-thank you.
ONE ?-Where is the cat? (G#6 or kitchen range, Decisions, Decisions!!!!!!!)
Cheers

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 9:49 am

D-frost wrote:
Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 9:43 am
Paul,
Very interesting thread. Your 'tech writer' skills are still within you-thank you.
ONE ?-Where is the cat? (G#6 or kitchen range, Decisions, Decisions!!!!!!!)
Cheers

D, thanks.

The cat is still getting used to this stove. Unlike the range, it's way too hot to get near the base much less snooze under it. A few times we've seen her sleeping on the wood floor about four feet away from the base. And when we pet her, her fur is hot.

That's out where we walk around the #6, so she's nervous about getting stepped on. With the range she's learned that she can go under it and she's safe from my big feet ! :D

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 1:20 pm

One other thing about using this mag that is becoming clear.

The furnace wall thermostat is located in the dinning room (which has a large bay with four windows that go from almost floor to ceiling). The dinning room is located between the #6 in the living room and the range in the kitchen.

Before the mag was installed, the combined heat output of the #6 and the range is enough to keep the furnace from coming on,.... except whenever one of them had to be refueled. That drop in constant heat output would make the furnace cycle on/off until the stove that had just been refueled recovered back up to operating temp.

With the mag allowing such quick refueling that the #6 doesn't need recovery time, now, the furnace only cycles on when refueling the range.

Too bad they didn't make mags for ranges. :cry:

Paul

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 3:34 pm

very nice, a steady 10 hr. and i believe a 12 hr. run was well in range and still only replace the 20 #'s in the mag.

that's the common reload for 12 hrs. on FRANK too. i think i'm going to like it.

:yes: :clap:

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”