Just another GW #6

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Mar. 24, 2018 9:43 am

Steve,

1920's to early 30's cars. Not much newer than my stoves. :D

Paul

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sat. Mar. 24, 2018 10:51 am

I'll bet Laselle, Cadillac, and/or Packards.(?)

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Mar. 24, 2018 12:49 pm

joeq wrote:
Sat. Mar. 24, 2018 10:51 am
I'll bet Laselle, Cadillac, and/or Packards.(?)
Ya got two out of three there,..... but you missed a bunch of other makes. :D

Paul

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Mar. 24, 2018 3:07 pm

OK, how bout Nissan, Mitsubishi, or Tesla? :lol:
(Yeah, I'm not sure when the Caddy division came about)

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Mar. 25, 2018 1:05 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Fri. Feb. 02, 2018 8:31 am

This is 17 rooms, 4000 sq ft on two floors, of old drafty Victorian. High ceilings, 55 tall windows and no insulation. Tough to keep a candle lit on a windy night. :lol:

The #6 is in a large living room gutted for major rebuild, so the outside walls - which are facing the north and west winds, are only the outside sheathing - no insulation, or plaster and lath. Yet those walls are 65 F with it 12 F outside. :D

Paul
How were you heating the house before the 2nd stove arrived? :bop:

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Mar. 25, 2018 1:24 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Sun. Mar. 25, 2018 1:05 pm
How were you heating the house before the 2nd stove arrived? :bop:

When it got down near freezing, the electric plenum in my oil furnace. And, that switched over to oil whenever it got down into the single digits and the electric plenum couldn't keep up.

Since starting up the #6, we've had some zero, and below zero, temps and the oil burner never kicked on. And now, the electric plenum only cycles on occasionally to help when it gets down into the teens and below.

Plus, now with the heat from the #6, I'm heating a few more rooms.

Paul

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Mar. 25, 2018 2:33 pm

Just another Glenwood No. 6 --- Just another happy home that is economically and efficiently heated with one. Just another home that now has security against power outages, frozen pipes, etc. Just another home that lives on coal stove easy street.
Every time I hear of another person who learns the lessons that come with a base heater, or even a kitchen range makes all of the slings and arrows, all of the skepticism, and even open hostility over the argument worth it to me.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Mar. 25, 2018 2:41 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Sun. Mar. 25, 2018 1:24 pm
When it got down near freezing, the electric plenum in my oil furnace. And, that switched over to oil whenever it got down into the single digits and the electric plenum couldn't keep up.
That sure sounds expensive, even with cheap electric rates. When you finish insulating the room that the #6 is in, I think you will find that a LOT more heat makes it to the rest of the house.
wsherrick wrote:
Sun. Mar. 25, 2018 2:33 pm
Every time I hear of another person who learns the lessons that come with a base heater, or even a kitchen range makes all of the slings and arrows, all of the skepticism, and even open hostility over the argument worth it to me.
I am not sure who is getting hostile over a coal stove, but I would not pay them much mind. Some people are just not capable of having a rational discussion.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Mar. 25, 2018 8:32 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Sun. Mar. 25, 2018 2:41 pm
That sure sounds expensive, even with cheap electric rates. When you finish insulating the room that the #6 is in, I think you will find that a LOT more heat makes it to the rest of the house.
Rob,
Oil, yes it's expensive. When it gets down into the teens and below the burner goes through about 20 gallons a day. The electric is much cheaper - 6.9 cents a KWH total at our present winter rate - but it only has about half the BTU output potential of the oil burner. Even at our low electric cost, coal is cheaper still.

The living room, where the #6 is now, is uninsulated at the moment and all the plaster and lath torn out. Just bare studs covered by the outside clapboards on two walls. Plus, 1/4 of the ceiling is just the floor boards for the underside of a 2nd story porch. The house is 4000 sq. ft. on two floors, no insulation, 40 tall windows of which less than half have storm windows, two outside doors with windows, and three sets of tall French doors to the outside. Tough keeping a candle from blowing out on windy nights. :D

But the constant heat output of the range and the #6 make it more comfortable than when I ran the oil burner. And when I get it insulated and sheet rocked it'll likely be too hot in that room. I may have to put a floor register over the stove to the upstairs hallway. ;)

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Mar. 25, 2018 8:44 pm

wsherrick wrote:
Sun. Mar. 25, 2018 2:33 pm
Just another Glenwood No. 6 --- Just another happy home that is economically and efficiently heated with one. Just another home that now has security against power outages, frozen pipes, etc. Just another home that lives on coal stove easy street.
Yes, William, happiness is good coal stoves. ;)

I know very well what it's like when the furnace quits. I lived here for a several days with no heat when outside temps were below zero, and it was 20F in the kitchen until I could get parts shipped to fix the furnace. Only had 14 leaks when I finally got the place thawed out and got the water back on. :roll: Spent most of a month redoing all the plumbing from the water meter on in. Since then we've had a few power outages, but I only knew about it because the kitchen gas stove clock wasn't working. :lol:

Those failures of modern heat and power is what lead me to getting a coal stove. Got coal, got candles - no winter worries ! ;)

Paul

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Mar. 25, 2018 10:26 pm

With all the walls stripped Paul, you must feel like you're in a log cabin. I hope Santa comes in the late spring for you. With a sleigh loaded with some tin ducting, R-13, and lots of sheet-rock. Think of the warmth next winter.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Mar. 26, 2018 7:58 am

joeq wrote:
Sun. Mar. 25, 2018 10:26 pm
With all the walls stripped Paul, you must feel like you're in a log cabin. I hope Santa comes in the late spring for you. With a sleigh loaded with some tin ducting, R-13, and lots of sheet-rock. Think of the warmth next winter.
Feels more like a circus tent, Joe. :lol:

Paul

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Mar. 26, 2018 12:59 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Mon. Mar. 26, 2018 7:58 am
Feels more like a circus tent, Joe. :lol:

Paul
I could elaborate on that one Paul, but I like you too much. ;)

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Mar. 26, 2018 9:02 pm

joeq wrote:
Mon. Mar. 26, 2018 12:59 pm
I could elaborate on that one Paul, but I like you too much. ;)
:lol:

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Apr. 02, 2018 10:55 am

Ever since seeing William's picture of the gas ring jets in his #6, I've been fascinated by the idea of how the gas ring adds to the efficiency by helping to burn off CO that otherwise would go up the stack.

But, it's been tough to get clear pictures of the gas jets coming off the holes in the gas ring surrounding the top of the firepot. Depending on the firebed level they don't always stay "on" constantly. Most of the time they "puff" on as the flames flicker on/off over the firebed.

Last night, they were staying on steadily about a half hour after loading up with some two year old Tractor Supply Kimmels nut that I'm using up. Mostly on the right side because the left side was not yet burning to the blue ladies stage.

The dark vertical area in the middle of the pictures is the magazine. ...which makes it even tougher to see them because it blocks the view of many of the holes in the back where the gasses are drawn to the barrel exit opening.

Enjoy.

Paul

Attachments

DSCN6049.JPG
.JPG | 105.9KB | DSCN6049.JPG
DSCN6050.JPG
.JPG | 110.2KB | DSCN6050.JPG
DSCN6051.JPG
.JPG | 100KB | DSCN6051.JPG

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”