Just another GW #6

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sat. Apr. 21, 2018 11:27 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Fri. Apr. 20, 2018 6:05 pm
No, Richard. The #6 uses more than half again as much coal as the range in 24 hours.

But, evidenced by the #6's higher mano and pipe temp readings with the MPD closed, it sends more of it's heat up the chimney than the range does. There is no way I could damper it down enough to run at .005 mano like the range can and still have the firebed stay hot enough to keep going.

For the BTU output size of it's firebox the range has a far greater heat extraction area before the stove pipe. To equal the ratio of the range's firebox capacity to it's flues surface area, I'd need a #6 with about twice it's flue surface area.

Paul
"Very interesting, and "not" stupid"
laugh-in johnson.jpg
.JPG | 27.2KB | laugh-in johnson.jpg
(TOTP :) )

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Thu. May. 03, 2018 12:05 am

Love it. Yes I do.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 11:18 am

Just an update.

The #6 is doing a wonderful job of keeping the house furnace off all the way down to 20F. Below that the furnace only kicks on occasionally, which is good because it also sheds some heat through the ductwork to the uninsulated stone walled basement so that the water pipes don't freeze when temps get below that.

The mag really makes reloading a matter of just a few minutes. Takes half as much time to reload and reset the dampers than it does to shake ash and empty the ash pan. :yes:

It's literally is just a matter of,.... put on stove gloves, open MPD and back damper, swing the bonnet to the right, lift the round cover to the left, pickup coal bucket and fill the mag. Put the bucket down, close the cover and bonnet, put the back damper in base heater mode, close the MPD, hang up gloves. As quickly done as it takes me to type it out !

It's does very well with nut sized coal. In fact I don't see any difference in heat output when using stove coal. The only difference my reloading time has to be reduced a couple of hours with stove coal because of the roughly 10% less fuel density in the mag and firepot. I run into the same shorter reloading interval problem using stove size in the range.

A couple of times, I've forgotten that I was using stove sized and the fire was out when I went to do my usual 12 hour tending time. Not a problem with the range because with cooking, it gets checked and refueled many times during the day. And I never add stove coal after dinner is done being cooked because I know I'll be filling it just before bed time with nut coal to get a longer over-night burn.

Well,... my few experiments with stove size coal in the #6 finally caused jammed grates. I've had quite a few in the range, already, but I've mostly been using the stove size while cooking with the range. The nut sized hard clinkers and slate/stone pass through the Glenwood triangular grates, but not so with stove sized. Last night, I had one large hard clinker, one stone-like, and another one that looked like a large piece of iron slag - all three jam up both pairs of grates in the #6. Picture below. While not as big as some of the rocks I've had to fish out of the range firebed, they were still too big for these type grates to deal with.

Because the #6 firebed is so deep, fishing with the right-angled tipped poker doesn't work. I had to shut down the stove, then shake and poke as much ash through as I could, and then hand shovel out the rest to get down to the jams. Not a tough job with the range, because with it having half the firebed depth of the #6, I can push some of the firebed to the other end of the firebox and dig down and hook the clinker up to the surface with the right-angled tipped poker and then lift it out with BBQ tongs.

However, here's where stoves with the "draw center" type grates would have an advantage. With that large opening when the center grate is drawn out, it should easily pass any of these stove sized clinkers and rocks that I've had turn up.

So, needing the #6 to provide the bulk of the house heat, I won't use anymore stove coal in the #6. I'll use up the remaining bags of Lehigh stove in the range, where the fishing is easier.

Paul

Attachments

DSCN7060.JPG
.JPG | 246.5KB | DSCN7060.JPG

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 1:00 pm

Man, talk about your "obstructions"! Have you tried any Ex-Lax Paul? :o :lol:
So I gather what you're saying is prismatic grates, and stove coal don't mix? Do you know of a way to prevent klinkers in the burn process, or is it an inherent problem with the rock itself?
I have heard others , (I think it was Brenden) saying his G6 did better with nut coal also. Whatever, it sounds as though you've got your mag/stove tuned in perfectly. I'm curious about your tending schedule, when you say all you do is reload the mag, W/O shaking the ashes down. Do you do a shake down every 24 hrs?

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 2:13 pm

joeq wrote:
Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 1:00 pm
Man, talk about your "obstructions"! Have you tried any Ex-Lax Paul? :o :lol:
So I gather what you're saying is prismatic grates, and stove coal don't mix? Do you know of a way to prevent klinkers in the burn process, or is it an inherent problem with the rock itself?
I have heard others , (I think it was Brenden) saying his G6 did better with nut coal also. Whatever, it sounds as though you've got your mag/stove tuned in perfectly. I'm curious about your tending schedule, when you say all you do is reload the mag, W/O shaking the ashes down. Do you do a shake down every 24 hrs?
Joe,
The problem is not just the usual "clinkers", (fused ash). There is also rocks, slate, and some of the pieces of coal with a very high iron content that turn into iron slag when the coal burns away. I found the same happened with the Kimmel's nut that TSC was selling a few years ago. The Kimmels had lots of fused iron "meteorites" in the ash. In fact this Lehigh reminds me of the Kimmels in some ways. Makes a lot of snap, crackle, and pop when I put a fresh layer on. Also burns a bit faster than the Mahanoy area bulk nut that I get.

I will say that before I bought the pallet of Lehigh stove coal, I've also used a lot of bags of the Lehigh nut and didn't find any stones or iron clinkers. Seems to just be some of the bags of stove size.

Anyway, I don't see an advantage using the stove size in the #6 that is worth having locked grates and needing to shut the stove down to clear the jam out when I need the heat. The nut coal works just as well for the level of heat output I need, helps control the strong central chimney draft without needing the check damper, and has the advantage of more fuel density for longer burns.

Paul

wilsons woodstoves
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood, Crawford, Magee, Herald, Others

Post by wilsons woodstoves » Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 5:36 pm

wow, down to a science...…….It was nice to see ,wsherrik , love it yes I do, may 2018 the cook stove has always been my main source of heat and comfort. wilson

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 5:53 pm

Hello Wilson. Happy New Year. (Almost)
(And to you also Paul...seeing it's your thread.) :)

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 10:44 pm

Gotta get me one of them mags :D

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 11:02 pm

I got 4, aluminium 5 spoke, dark centered Ansens, with uni-lugs, 14x6s, I'll let go cheap. ;)

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 11:22 pm

joeq wrote:
Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 11:02 pm
I got 4, aluminium 5 spoke, dark centered Ansens, with uni-lugs, 14x6s, I'll let go cheap. ;)
Just don't use real "mag" wheels with your stove, Joe. Gets too exciting when those minilites become,... blinding lights. :o

paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 11:27 pm

wilsons woodstoves wrote:
Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 5:36 pm
wow, down to a science...…….It was nice to see ,wsherrik , love it yes I do, may 2018 the cook stove has always been my main source of heat and comfort. wilson

I know. When my #6 was still in your kitchen I was more fascinated with that old Glenwood range. :D

Paul

jdode
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vintage laundry tank heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite
Other Heating: Natural gas

Post by jdode » Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 11:35 pm

Fascinating thread! I need to call my handyman right away and get a flue thimble installed, so I can get on with using some coal in my laundry stove, until I find a suitable bigger stove. Loved seeing the pics of the first burn!

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Tue. Jan. 01, 2019 1:35 pm

joeq wrote:
Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 11:02 pm
ha ha good one they would maybe make an interesting finial
;)

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”