Riteway 37

Alderson
Other Heating: Wood/coal heater riteway model 37

Post by Alderson » Wed. Jan. 24, 2018 10:48 am

Hi, I've got a old riteway that needs a new baffle the original had the little center plate held in with pins. I tried a solid piece and left a air space but it's still too much draft. Anyone familiar? Could you just cover the entire baffle area and what gauge steel help! Connie

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Jan. 24, 2018 12:57 pm

i have a retired #37 that has many good and usable pieces. pretty sure i know what you are talking about even if not the words i would use.

please take a pic of the area of the stove where this piece is. i'll be able to tell whats missing. if we can make a positive ID i'll send you everything connected to it.

steve

Alderson
Other Heating: Wood/coal heater riteway model 37

Post by Alderson » Wed. Jan. 24, 2018 3:40 pm

Steve, can't send a pic just yet. More info. It's on the right side of stove directly below the flue body with the pull out rod. The piece is 12" wide and 9" high. The piece has a smaller rectangle cover plate which is centered in the plate held in with suppport pins. What is on there now is a metal plate I had fabricated I left a 1/2 inch gap on the top and it burns toooo hot. I get there's two different styles of riteway 37 from around that era. The one you can buy online isn't the one. Combustible flue baffle with flue baffle plate you'll know what it is when you see it. Thanks Connie. It's pretty cold in alaska today

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Jan. 24, 2018 4:28 pm

ok i'll add some and you can tell me if i'm thinking of the correct item. these were kind of fast pics so i appologize in advance.
IMG_2045.gif

is this the item your cover held by pins is a part of ?

.GIF | 342.3KB | IMG_2045.gif
IMG_2046.gif

is the item the one shown at the far right lower corner of this pic ?

.GIF | 381.6KB | IMG_2046.gif
IMG_2048.gif

again, is it the small part near the bottom of the stove body on the right side ?

.GIF | 394.1KB | IMG_2048.gif
if yes you can use just about anything to make the opening smaller, even tin foil. using foil just fold a piece over on itself till it's about the right width and length to lay on top of the cover you have and move it "forward" till you have about the width of a "penny" still open and try that.

i should have asked if you are burning wood or coal ? do you have the little box with the numerals and the dial up above the part we are talking about ? there should be a "ball chain" between the two.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Jan. 24, 2018 4:32 pm

PS i really need a pic of your stove. if my second thought is correct you might need something more as a quick fix.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Jan. 24, 2018 5:18 pm

went back and re read your post. are you talking about the baffle assembly and plate INSIDE the stove that regulates the direct draft or down draft functions ?

my "bypass" damper assembly and plate should be the same as yours but there are no pins in it.

i can see you're having way too much draft if you have a 1/2" of opening at that position during operation.

Cheapleedone
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Chappee C28 (coal,wood, and oil )
Other Heating: taylor 450 owb, free flow stove(the original bullerjan), cawley 800 (i have 2 of these), riteway 37 cat model

Post by Cheapleedone » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 1:12 am

I realize this post is from last month but, the small piece held with the 2 pins is where the catalytic combustor was installed. I believe these started after 1982. So I think she is looking for the plate between the lower flue and bypass damper.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 6:18 am

ah, makes sense. i haven't seen any of them from that era nor any exploded views to go on.

thanks,
steve

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 11:32 am

Sounds like draft inlet hinge plate. The gap is to be regulated by conneted bead-chain raised or lowered by a bi-metallic coil and dial control above.

1/2" is way too much to slow the fire, a dime thickness is plenty...or use a paper clip.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 1:13 pm

McGiever wrote:
Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 11:32 am
Sounds like draft inlet hinge plate. The gap is to be regulated by conneted bead-chain raised or lowered by a bi-metallic coil and dial control above.

1/2" is way too much to slow the fire, a dime thickness is plenty...or use a paper clip.
this was my first thought too, but the "cat" remark took me off guard.

i agree about the "dime" size opening. when running my #37 for yrs. i had the bead chain unhooked and kept a dime under the front "lifting" edge full time and let the draft run wild. still only used 3 ton a season no matter what outside conditions.

Cheapleedone
Other Heating: taylor 450 owb, free flow stove(the original bullerjan), cawley 800 (i have 2 of these), riteway 37 cat model

Post by Cheapleedone » Fri. Mar. 02, 2018 7:40 pm

picture #1 is of the plate held in by "pins". i think this is what Alderson was talking about on Jan 24th 2018.

This is directly above the lower flue opening and below the baffle for indirect mode

picture #2 is the combustor behind the plate

picture #3 is the small round view port on the back of the stove so you can see the combustor lights off.

picture #4 is the Riteway 37 tag

the secondary air holes in the flue can be shut off ,Note the little handle below the bimetal spring in pic #3

I hope these pics clarify some things

Attachments

riteway catalytic plate.jpg
.JPG | 331.3KB | riteway catalytic plate.jpg
catalytic combuster.jpg
.JPG | 446.8KB | catalytic combuster.jpg
riteway 37.jpg
.JPG | 513.5KB | riteway 37.jpg
Last edited by Cheapleedone on Fri. Mar. 02, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Mar. 02, 2018 9:03 pm

good grieve, i would never have imagined that mess in my worst nightmare.

that constitutes the most horrid bastardization of an original model of anything i can remember.

no wonder they folded soon after the "cat" days.

tragic

but, seeing that plate and the pins it's clear that there should be no opening of any size at all there.

Cheapleedone

Post by Cheapleedone » Fri. Mar. 02, 2018 10:37 pm

the epa ruined a lot of stove companies.
i read that a local stove manufacturer would have had to spend approx. 150k to try and certify 3 stove models.
It was a small family owned business and they went out of business because they could not afford the testing.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”