Pipe thermometer

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Jan. 20, 2018 3:25 pm

I know it's not antique but I got very used to being able to glance at the stove and see how the pipe thermometer needle says the stove is doing without grabbing the IR gun or opening round covers to look in.

But, I gave my pipe thermometer to my daughter when I gave her my wood stove. Figured she needed it more so she would know if she's running it in the right heat range to prevent a chimney fire.

Well, I was at the hardware store and noticed that they had restocked pipe thermometers. I like this new one better because I think Meeco has caught on to what coal stoves and their owners really are. :D

The low range of the scale says, ...... "Too cool".

But, we already knew that about us ! :lol:

Paul

Attachments

DSCN5684.JPG
.JPG | 182.1KB | DSCN5684.JPG

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 7:52 pm

I've wanted to ask about pipe thermometers on this forum before, but it always seem to slip my mind.

I haven't yet searched the net for these, but I know I've seen at least three different makers of these in the past. There may be more. Do any of you have a preference? What about quality and accuracy or issues in that regard? Some are magnetic and I think some actually have the probe in the pipe I think, but I could be wrong.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 8:12 pm

HM.

The magnetics are not noted for being accurate if you want to know actual pipe skin temps. And they are slow to respond to temp changes. But they are not expensive. And they will let you see change, such as the stove is cooling and needing to be refueled.

The pipe thermometer I used for many years was a Rutland magnetic. It was only accurate in the temperature range that I run my kitchen range - about 100F to 175F. Above that and it got more inaccurate as the temps climbed.

This one is a Meeco brand magnetic. When I first tested it, it read lower than pipe skin temp, so I adjusted the needle position to be closer. The needle shaft is just peened over to hold the needle on. I just held the back end of the shaft with needle nose pliers and moved the needle. Took a few tries, but now it reads very close to what the pipe shin temp is around it.

The probe type respond a bit faster, but cost more.

Many of us also use a hand-held infrared gun, which is faster, more accurate, and can be used on any part of the stove, pipes, or other things you might want to know the temperature of.

paul

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 8:15 pm

Thanks. I have an IR gun...but my OCD wants me to get a 2nd one to double check the first one. LOL!!!

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 8:33 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 8:15 pm
Thanks. I have an IR gun...but my OCD wants me to get a 2nd one to double check the first one. LOL!!!
You can test the IR gun with boiling water. Bring water to a slow rolling boil. Hold a spoon in the boiling water for at least 30 seconds. Quickly take it out and use the IR gun to check the temp. It should read 212 of a little bit above.

Paul

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 8:54 pm

That's a good test Paul. :)

But what about different altitudes? ;)

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 11:00 pm

Mac,
Yes, altitude does have an affect on boiling point. You can look up the tables on the internet.

But, unless your on a mountain top here in the east, the affect is not as much as you might think. I'm at just over 1000 ft above sea level. If I remember what that is on the tables, that means water is supposed to boil at 210F here. That couple of degrees difference is very likely less than the percentage of variation of accuracy of the IR gun.

For anyone who wants to know their altitude, you can look up you house on Google Earth. The altitude wherever you move the pointer with your mouse, shows up in the lower right hand corner of the Google Earth screen.

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”