Surdiac 715

[email protected]
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac 715
Coal Size/Type: Anthrysite / pea coal by blaschak low sulfer

Post by [email protected] » Sat. Jan. 06, 2018 11:51 am

Hi everyone, my wife found this site and recommend it to me. I'm funking a surdiac 715, beautiful stove, heats amazing but i can't seem to get long burn times out of it. 6 hour maybe 7 then it's almost out in the am on me takes several hours to ramp up. I stay up till 2 am usually so I can lay in bed till 8.... I'm a disabled vet so my body is not cooperating much anymore..... anyway, anyone have any tips, suggestions, advice, i would greatly appreciate it. Really sucks when it goes out with a full magazine of coal in it. I'll post a pic of what it looks like right now after 4 hrs of tending. I hit it at 7 am and the only hot coal was up in the magazine....

Attachments

1515257451766767555565.jpg
.JPG | 196.8KB | 1515257451766767555565.jpg

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Jan. 06, 2018 12:15 pm

As with other European stoves the Surdiac has a shallow fire pot. This means shorter burn times.

The hopper should be as high as possible to maximise the coal bed depth. I think there are two positions.

Slicing the coal bed has to be as thorough as possible. Poke from the top to encourage more coal to drop. The bed should be black after slicing. A red glow in the ash area should be there.

Fill the hopper after every tending so the coal has time to get very hot. That hot coal should ignite very quickly with very little time needed to regain heat output.

You should never lose the fire. Even a small portion still burning should easily ignite the fresh hot coal being fed from the hopper.

If you do a good thorough job clearing ash, you should get 8 hours between tendings, unless you are over firing the stove. I would think about 50 pounds a day burned would be about right without over firing.

If all else fails then you will have to scale back the output with the thermostat.

If there are covers for the slicing ports, they must be closed after use.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Fri. Mar. 30, 2018 6:28 pm

So Steve, did you give up the ship,or what?
emo shrug.jpg
.JPG | 8.3KB | emo shrug.jpg

Lakehouse
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac/Jotul 715
Coal Size/Type: Antracite Pea
Other Heating: Electric

Post by Lakehouse » Sat. Mar. 31, 2018 8:15 am

Hello.
I would like to put my five cents in. This winter was my very first year burning coal in my Surdiac 715, and I would like to give my observation on it.

I don’t know if my set up is different or I am just very lucky and blessed, my stove did not go off once since lit up back in October. My normal interval between tending was 10- 16 hours. Once i’ve Managed over 30 hours when I was out of town. Yes on extremely low burn of course😁
My hopper sits on the highest level to allow for higher fire bed. I normally slice all possible ash through slots on the side then push all ash and new coal with it down from above the bed, slice some more through slots, close all doors, make sure that light does not show through the sliding little doors, fill hopper to the top and I am done!
Also, when cold outside, my temperature setting is on 1-2. If stove runs too hot that is when it’s ashes up too quickly and does not give any heat. Slow and steady.
My baro damper had been set at 0.4 back in October and I’ve not touched it since.
Was toasty warm all winter at 73 -78*, burned a little less than 3 tons and couldn’t be more happier😀
Wish my experience to everyone!

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sat. Mar. 31, 2018 9:20 am

I believe the 715 is the next size up compared to the 513 that I use-ta have. When all was said and done, I could get 8-10 hrs on my little stove, so I can believe the 715 going up-wards of 15 hrs. Wish the OP came back, so we could help him out.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”