Stir the Coal Bed? Bad idea?

specialtg
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Oak #116

Post by specialtg » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 12:03 pm

Sorry if dumb question but in addition to shaking the ash twice a day when it is almost out is it ok to stir and add more coal? I thought I read somewhere that the coal bed should not be disturbed from the top?
Thanks!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 12:48 pm

Unlike wood fires, coal embers do not like to be stirred. Shaking ash and digging in the ash under the fire is ok because it doesn't push the embers together and choke off air flow through the firebed that stirring from the top can do. At most, some occasionally run a poker along the edges of the firebox to help move ash buildup in corners and to help loosen any clinkers that may be starting to stick to refractory liner.

And here on the coal forum we believe that the only "dumb questions" are the ones not asked. ;)

Paul

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 1:09 pm

The coal will settle into itself shutting off the gaps the air gets through. Bad idea.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 1:34 pm

Every rule is meant to be broken. Question Authority! (Yep, I'm a child of the 50s and 60s. :lol: )

As Sunny said, "occasionally run a poker along the edges of the firebox to help move ash buildup in corners and to help loosen any clinkers that may be starting to stick to refractory liner". That does help, but it's hard to reach the back corners without stirring up the stuff in the middle. My Harman Mark 1 had a pretty small firebox, and stirring from the top almost killed the fire a few times. But it hasn't been a problem with my DS Circulator. So "it depends". ;)

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 3:13 pm

Don't stir. Poke down a few areas to break any bridging.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 5:01 pm

The trick is to agitate the coal bed in such a way that the ash falls towards the grates so it can be discharged. You never want to mix the ash with healthy burning coal, it will help kill the fire and/or cause clinkers.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 7:37 pm

tsb wrote:
Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 3:13 pm
Don't stir. Poke down a few areas to break any bridging.
100% agreed. After you shake down, a few light taps on top of the firebed with an L shaped poker will allow the firebed to settle back down onto the grates, without much disturbance of the fire. If it bridges and an air pocket is left in there, it will NOT burn evenly.

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning # 500
Baseburners & Antiques: Peninsular Western Hot Blast No.44K and Reading Foundry & Supply Co.

Post by fifthg » Sat. Jan. 06, 2018 8:35 am

I find that if I have to break up bridging of the coal after shaking grates,it is then good to create some new air “chimneys”through the fire pot after adding the fresh coal.I do this with a straight poker,being sure to poke gently all the way to the grates.Once at the grates with the poker,I widen the air hole “chimney” by gently rotating the poker and withdrawing it slowly,trying to keep this chimney open.I know it is open when I withdraw poker and can see right down to the grates.Depending on size and shape of your fire pot,you might need these poked in a couple of strategic spots.You might want to increase primary air as well, after doing so,to aid fire recovery.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Jan. 06, 2018 9:06 am

Lightning wrote:
Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 5:01 pm
The trick is to agitate the coal bed in such a way that the ash falls towards the grates so it can be discharged. You never want to mix the ash with healthy burning coal, it will help kill the fire and/or cause clinkers.
Unless of course you want to dampen it off, throwing some ash over the top is easy way to do that. I had one customer that used to get 4 ton of nut and one ton of rice. I'd chute the rice into the one corner of the bin, he used the rice at night and would throw a shovel full over the fire.

bohemian
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: freeflow wood stove

Post by bohemian » Thu. Feb. 01, 2018 6:10 pm

looking for replacement grate and fork for warm morning 400

bambooboy
Baseburners & Antiques: imperial ringgold
Other Heating: woodstock soapstone,comfort,fisher,federal,fairy oak

Post by bambooboy » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 10:27 am

specialtg wrote:
Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 12:03 pm
Sorry if dumb question but in addition to shaking the ash twice a day when it is almost out is it ok to stir and add more coal? I thought I read somewhere that the coal bed should not be disturbed from the top?
Thanks! at times in the morning when fire almost out,i add on top 2or3 pieces of kero soaked charcoal along with 6or 8 dry.wait 10 minutes ad some coal,when eignited then i shake,rotate grates, poke from below with straight rod.works for me, but i have plenty of time in the morning (and at all other times) :) :) :)

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”