Antique in Gettysburg, help please

dane
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II

Post by dane » Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 1:22 pm

I would love to have an antique to replace my Mark II.

Is this a good stove, how big of an area would you guess it would effectively heat?

Is his pricing accurate, if not, what would be a fair price?

He emailed me more pics and I am working on getting them uploaded to the forum.

Thanks again for all the information past, present, and future. This is a great board and I hope to be able to contribute some day.

Dane

https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/atq/d/vintage-o ... 18145.html

dane

Post by dane » Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 1:27 pm

Here are the pics he emailed me, I also asked for some more of the outside, the sides and back.

Dane

Attachments

IMG_2407.JPG
.JPG | 613.9KB | IMG_2407.JPG
IMG_2408.JPG
.JPG | 584.7KB | IMG_2408.JPG
IMG_2404.JPG
.JPG | 707.6KB | IMG_2404.JPG
IMG_2400.JPG
.JPG | 463.4KB | IMG_2400.JPG
IMG_2399.JPG
.JPG | 607.4KB | IMG_2399.JPG

Kiletravis09

Post by Kiletravis09 » Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 2:24 pm

That seems waaaay overpriced for my taste. You can find something nicer for a lot cheaper. You just have to keep looking. I use the Craigslist email system that updates me when any of my chosen keywords are listed. So anytime someone posts anything and uses the words “antique stove” or “coal stove” etc. I get immediately emailed. I would keep looking if were you.

dane

Post by dane » Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 2:41 pm

Kiletravis09 wrote:
Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 2:24 pm
That seems waaaay overpriced for my taste. You can find something nicer for a lot cheaper. You just have to keep looking. I use the Craigslist email system that updates me when any of my chosen keywords are listed. So anytime someone posts anything and uses the words “antique stove” or “coal stove” etc. I get immediately emailed. I would keep looking if were you.
If the price is wrong but the stove is right I have no problem making a "real" offer. People overinflate their prices, they can ask what they want I don't get offended...when they don't like my offer of 10% of their asking price I have no problem reminding them of that.

Thanks for your input!

Dane

dane

Post by dane » Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 2:51 pm

Here is another pic he sent me. I forgot to mention that I am NOT looking for a restored stove, I want to restore one. I enjoy "saving" things as well as knowing how everything was done because I did it.

Dane

Attachments

IMG_2403.JPG
.JPG | 438.5KB | IMG_2403.JPG

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 3:05 pm

Taking on a project stove is fine. Many of us have done that.

But a $1000.00 for an Oak stove is what you might expect to pay for one that's been fully restored, then used for a few seasons and only needs a little work to put it to use again. Even if it was a large base heater, that's way too high for a project stove.

Paul

dane

Post by dane » Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 3:19 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 3:05 pm
Taking on a project stove is fine. Many of us have done that.

But a $1000.00 for an Oak stove is what you might expect to pay for one that's been fully restored, then used for a few seasons and only needs a little work to put it to use again. Even if it was a large base heater, that's way too high for a project stove.

Paul
From what I have learned here that makes total sense, I have no problem offering him $100.00 for this stove if it's worth restoring to use. On the other hand I don't want to even go look at it if it won't be close to what I need once restored.

I guess what I'm asking is would you even consider buying this stove? If no, thanks and I will keep looking. If yes, what would be a good price to be into this Stove?

I realize that it's hard to say from pictures on the internet but I am new to this and have no idea if it's $100.00 or a $250.00 stove.

The wealth of knowledge here has absolutely astounded me. I have read all the sections and enjoy the history as well as the beauty of burning coal.

My father heated our house with wood and then wood and coal (seperate units) for as long as I lived at home so it makes me have an odd "connection" to him.

Dane

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 3:53 pm

It looks like it's going to need a lot of work. And if there's a lot of nickel plated area needing to be redone, with it as rust pitted as it is, that could run you the $1000.00 at a good plating shop.

Keep in mind that it is just an oak stove, that's going to need a lot. Plus, there's a lot of it you still don't know about. Such as if it's got cracks. Or, considering how rusty it is where we can see, is it rusted through the sheet metal barrel under that ventilator grill ?

If it were a well- known base heater, it still wouldn't be worth $1000.00 as such a rusty project.

I'd say start making offers at $100.00 and walk away if he wants over $200.00.

Paul

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 4:08 pm

"Ventilator" suggests it is a convection stove and the grill work on the sides seems to confirm that. So a double wall to clean and restore.

Because it is not a base heater I agree with Paul to nor go over $200.

Bring a flashlight and inspect carefully.

The shaker handle is accessed with the ash door open. A good way to make a mess with fly ash. Ash pan is also shot.

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 5:01 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 3:53 pm
It looks like it's going to need a lot of work. And if there's a lot of nickel plated area needing to be redone, with it as rust pitted as it is, that could run you the $1000.00 at a good plating shop.

Keep in mind that it is just an oak stove, that's going to need a lot. Plus, there's a lot of it you still don't know about. Such as if it's got cracks. Or, considering how rusty it is where we can see, is it rusted through the sheet metal barrel under that ventilator grill ?

If it were a well- known base heater, it still wouldn't be worth $1000.00 as such a rusty project.

I'd say start making offers at $100.00 and walk away if he wants over $200.00.

Paul
+2

I'd add that Facebook has a Marketplace feature where I often see parlor stoves.

dane

Post by dane » Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 5:55 pm

Y'all are fantastic, thanks for the input. It sounds like even at $100-$200 this is not a stove I would want in the end.

I will keep lurking and learning and if I come across something else I will run it by the experts here.

Thanks again for your time and expertise!

Dane

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”