Hair line crack near cook plate.

UncleDoDat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: King-O-Heat
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald #6
Coal Size/Type: Nut & Stove Size
Other Heating: Natural Gas

Post by UncleDoDat » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 10:09 pm

Greetings everyone. Hope everyone is doing well and keeping warm. We are we are chugging right along over here with those magical black rocks.

Tonight while feeding Mr. Herald and refilling the humidifier that sits on the base burner tube.
20171230_213153.jpg
.JPG | 456.8KB | 20171230_213153.jpg
I noticed a hairline crack directly in front of the cook plate. This is more than likely a result of me over filling and water spilling. I probably would not have noticed it, but I over filled it yet again and saw it.
20171230_220057.jpg
.JPG | 296.3KB | 20171230_220057.jpg
Firstly, will this become a major problem in the future? Secondary, how do I remedy this. Surely I'm not the first to do such a thing. I think of all the people that have cook stoves. Surely a little spaghetti sauce or gravy or even water for that matter has spilled on the cook plate. Is this a serious problem?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 8:19 am

You can stop the crack traveling any further by wire brushing the area bright-clean to find the very end of the crack. You may need a magnifying glass to see the true end of the crack.

Then tap at the very end with a center punch to make a slight dent to center a drill bit. Then drill a 1/16 to 3/32 inch hole at that punch mark. That "stopper hole" is what welders do to prevent the crack from going further before they weld.

Then put a wipe of refractory cement into the crack to seal it, until some day when you can pull it apart and get it welded. After it dries a day, put some stove polish over the spot to keep it from rusting.

Then,...... make a sign to hang on the stove to not overfill the water pot. :D

Paul

UncleDoDat

Post by UncleDoDat » Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 3:38 am

Okay great. Hoping it wasn't something detrimental. Also researching what you said, "stopper hole" I found this video as i am a visual learner. It's a bit more involved, but I get the jist of what you mean to stop the crack from spreading. My only question now is do i do this now while the stove is burning?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 6:32 am

Hot doesn't matter. Just let the drill bit do the work!! Hopin ya got a good fast drill & good bit--have an extra just in case U.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 7:07 am

freetown fred wrote:
Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 6:32 am
...........................................................................have an extra just in case U.
Yes, I drilled and tapped 1 hole with 2 drill bits recently ;)

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 7:45 am

UncleDoDat wrote:
Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 3:38 am
Okay great. Hoping it wasn't something detrimental. Also researching what you said, "stopper hole" I found this video as i am a visual learner. It's a bit more involved, but I get the jist of what you mean to stop the crack from spreading. My only question now is do i do this now while the stove is burning?

Yup. That's the general idea, but "cold stitching" the thin case iron of a stove flue doesn't work well. The metal is too thin to get enough "grab" with the pin threads.

The temperature changes in the flue causes changes in stresses in the metal. Once a crack starts, most of the stress that caused it is relived, but those stresses can still make the crack slowly continue to grow longer. The hole makes it so that the end of the crack has no where to go.

What's VERY important to make that work is,....
Just, before you drill, make sure your at the very end of the crack. Not being able to see the inside face of that surface can make that tough. Sometimes the end of the crack is not perpendicular to the surfaces of the metal, but slightly angled and inside the flue it might be a tiny bit longer than what you can see outside.

The best way is to be slightly overlapping the end of the crack and on into non-cracked area just beyond it so that your sure there is no more cracked metal beyond where you drilled. You can use a larger drill bit such as 1/8 - 3/16 inch, to make sure you got it all, but that's a trade-off to the smaller the hole is better to it is to plug up and eventually, to fill in with welding.

Paul

UncleDoDat

Post by UncleDoDat » Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 3:26 pm

Is it suggested that I should do this soon as possible? With the stove running?

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 3:40 pm

UncleDoDat wrote:
Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 3:26 pm
Is it suggested that I should do this soon as possible? With the stove running?
Yes, and yes!

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”