Looking at a Glenwood Oak #20 ... Need help

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 4:09 pm

Came across this stove today. Parts of it seem in pretty rough shape. The one grate is broken and there were some ad hoc mods to make up for the missing grate. The steel jacket that forms the back of the stove looked good and it has a back pipe that while very old, looks usable. The ring around the top of the stove should be nickel plated but it looks like the plating is gone. The bonnet looks like it's rusty. The bumper toward the bottom just above the ash door looks almost like bronze.

Some q's:

What's the BTU output on the #20 and how long a burn time?
Are there any references online .... for parts list, operator manual?
What do you think of it as a project stove.... is it worth saving?
How hard will it be to find and replace parts?
How much does it typically cost to restore a stove in this condition?

Some pics:

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 6:29 pm

Keegs,
I'm far from being an expert, but, the Glenwood is worth saving, if the price is right. I think Wilson has grates for that Glenwood. The 20 has a 14" pot, from what I remember, and is the predecessor of the Modern Glenwood. That 20 has all the features of my Herald that Wilson refurbed. Triangular grates, back pipe, upper and lower feed doors(upper door helps with wood burning). My Herald has a lined 14" pot, and even with the "0" temps, I can get a 12 hour burn, running at 350*-400*, top of the barrel. Hope this helps you.
Cheers

keegs

Post by keegs » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 6:57 pm

Thanks D. I've been doing some poking around online and it doesn't look too promising so far on parts. I think this stove may need a fire pot and definitely needs grates.

D-frost

Post by D-frost » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 7:18 pm

Keegs,
If the pot is solid(no bad cracks), lining it would extend the life. Looking at the pics, after it is cleaned up, it will be a real attractive stove. The big money is in the trim re- nickeling.
Cheers

keegs

Post by keegs » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 8:39 pm

Thanks again.

Looks like plenty of posts here on hand casting pot liners. Looks like Woodman's parts plus might have the grate. I'll have to give them a call and confirm. Have to call around as well on the nickel re-plating. I've seen pictures of other Glenwood Oak stoves of this vintage with the top door plated. This one doesn't seem to have it.

I'd like to get a ballpark idea of the cost to bring it all back and then decide. It would be nice to restore and keep a nice old stove like this. Not sure though if it makes sense.

She won't push too hard but I already hear the Mrs .... "You have two stoves at the house now that work just fine". :)

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 8:07 am

The four triangular grate bars will run you about $80.00 - $90.00 each with shipping - if you can get them from one of the less expensive stove resto shops. Woodmans Parts might have the right size bars, but they can get very expensive for some of their grate bars. Be prepared to give them the measurements, because they don't always list by stove model.

The nickel plating will run $800.00 - $1000.00, or more, depending on which plating shop you use.

Figure another $100.00 - $150.00 for paint, fasteners, refractory to line the pot, and refractory seam sealer.

If you pay to have the parts sand blasted add a few hundred more.

If there are cracks that you have to pay to have welded, that can run a hundred or more, depending on how many and where they are.

Paul

wilsons woodstoves
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood, Crawford, Magee, Herald, Others

Post by wilsons woodstoves » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 8:27 am

The big question is , does the fire pot have a crack?? Paul hit "the price is right " For everything else. Even if the pot is cracked the proper linning will take care of it for some time. The stove is a good progect, looks like all the parts are there. original finial is a plus. Do it............ wilson

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 8:57 am

A recast fire pot if needed is around 150 . plus 30 . dollars to ship to foundry then 60. for two back.

D-frost

Post by D-frost » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 9:23 am

Keegs,
The $$$ numbers have appeared- now you know.
??? for Paul/Wilson- The little knob on the finial base-does this stove have a 'Dutch oven' up top?
Cheers

keegs

Post by keegs » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 9:51 am

Thanks all... what do you think's a fair price to offer for this stove?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 10:02 am

With bad grates I can't see more than $100, and that's assuming the fire pot is good.

keegs

Post by keegs » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 10:15 am

mntbugy wrote:
Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 8:57 am
A recast fire pot if needed is around 150 . plus 30 . dollars to ship to foundry then 60. for two back.
Thanks mntbugy.... I'll probably put off restoring the nickel plating for another time and make the priority to first restore the stove to original working condition. I didn't see any cracks when I looked at it yesterday but there was lots of ash in the pot which made it difficult to discern. I'm checking with the seller to see if he can confirm whether there's any cracks. Can you suggest an outfit that could cast a replacement fire pot?

My sense is that applying refractory cement to the firepot will reduce the diameter and thereby reduce the BTU output of the stove. Your thoughts?

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 10:23 am

D-frost wrote:
Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 9:23 am
Keegs,
??? for Paul/Wilson- The little knob on the finial base-does this stove have a 'Dutch oven' up top?
Cheers
DF
No top "oven well" on that model Glenwood. The only Glenwoods I'm aware of that have a top well under the swing bonnet are the Glenwood Grand. See GW brochure below. The Oaks are the first stove model listed.

FYI, the Oaks were made to use the same type magazine as the base haters and modern oaks. In fact, the mag for the #6 Base Heater says "Oak" in the casting. This stove may be able to fit the recast mags that Paulie is having made. Depends on the diameter of the swing lid in under the bonnet, and the height from firebed to stove barrel top cover.

Paul

Attachments

Glenwood Heaters 2.pdf
.PDF | 5.6MB | Glenwood Heaters 2.pdf

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 10:26 am

franco b wrote:
Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 10:02 am
With bad grates I can't see more than $100, and that's assuming the fire pot is good.
And if all the parts are usable for the optional back pipe, I'd go as high as $200.00. It would cost you more than $100.00 in parts to add a back pipe to a Glenwood that doesn't have one.

FYI,
If the back pipe is the 5 inch pipe size and the baffle is warped (common) Wilson makes a modified recast baffle that is designed to better resist warping than the original baffles can.

Paul

keegs

Post by keegs » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 10:28 am

D-frost wrote:
Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 9:23 am
Keegs,
Cheers
Do you think the bumper (just below the feed doors and above the ash pan door) can be shined up with some metal polish?

Thanks... Chris K.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”