Can I see your hearths?

Kiletravis09

Post by Kiletravis09 » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 2:52 pm

So I’m about ready to get the Florence Hotblast #153 up and running finally. I have never once in my life burned coal but I’m currently burning wood and it completely sucks to say the least. In the summer time I started to restore a Florence Hotblast #153. It’s pretty much done for what I need it to do. I just painted everything on the stove then applied Williams stove polish one very surface just to protect it until I figure out if coal is something I want to burn full time. If I like it and it provides good heat I will spend the money to have the finial and skirting sent out to the plater. Until then I’m just running the stove all black! I call her black Betty. Any way I’m going to be building the hearth pad myself. Does anyone know the minimum clearances to combustibles for floor protection in general? I know these stoves obviously don’t have that specified but what are your guys clearances set for? Also can I see some pics of your hearth pads/floor protection? Just looking for some ideas to get my creative juices going! I’ll post a few pics of the area it’s going to be going in. Also a few of the stove as it currently sits.
image.jpg
.JPG | 628.4KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 627.5KB | image.jpg

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 3:03 pm

All kinds of info here my friend.
Post by Sunny Boy - Stove and Stove Pipe NFPA Clearances.
Too bad the hearth couldn't be clear so you could see that awesome floor. From what I see you have a beautiful old home :yes:

Mike.

Kiletravis09

Post by Kiletravis09 » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 4:36 pm

Wow good looking out. That had al the info I needed. Also thanks for the compliments. We love our house. We live in a small town and our house used to be the former town doctors house. He also owned the twin drug store that also happened to sell stoves. Our county has an amazing online archive of news papers dating back to the 1850’s. You can search keywords and it will bring up any papers with the keyword. I have found tons of old advertisements for the doctors drug store selling all types of stoves from Favorite Baseburners to cook stoves. Pretty cool stuff. I’m sure our house at one point had the best stove on the market. The House was also used as the funeral home for a number of years. I can’t wait to get this stove fired up. It will not only provide an awesome amount of heat but it while also fit in with the time period of the House. I’m hoping it does better than the wood heat because currently I’m filling the wood stove every 4-6 hrs and it sucks.

Paned
Baseburners & Antiques: Florence 153, 151; Imperial Acorn, Alert Acorn, Acme Carbon, Favorite 261, Favorite 416, Estate Square Oak

Post by Paned » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 9:02 pm

I can give you some help with setup for coal for the Florence. I strictly burn anthracite in my 153. I posted a video of my settings. Run 350-400 at barrel and 150-175 at pipe. Blocking off the secondary hot blast ring passage will greatly increase efficiency of the Florence for anthracite.

Kiletravis09

Post by Kiletravis09 » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 9:37 pm

Paned wrote:
Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 9:02 pm
I can give you some help with setup for coal for the Florence. I strictly burn anthracite in my 153. I posted a video of my settings. Run 350-400 at barrel and 150-175 at pipe. Blocking off the secondary hot blast ring passage will greatly increase efficiency of the Florence for anthracite.
Hey what sq ft are you heating? Do you ever run hotter than that? With my wood stove at around 500-550 I can maintain 70 degrees I’m the house. Sometimes I run even hotter on the stove like 600-700 but that’s when it’s below 0 out. But with my wood stove, it may only be at 500-700 for maybe two hours. Then over the next 4 to 5 hours it slowly drops until I reload. I’m hoping with a coal stove I can maintain a slightly lower temperature on the barrel but be able to maintain a good temp in the house because of a more constant input of BTU’s into the house. Rather than the extrem temperature swings of a wood stove.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 9:56 pm

If you can find Mycore, it is the replacement for asbestos millboard that was recommended for years.

A hearth I like and reasonably effective is 4 feet square for room for tools and coal scuttle. Start with sheet of metal covered with half inch cement board and cover that with ceramic tile of your choice. 16 inch tile works well. Or you can buy genuine brick 1/2 inch thick, but the mortar joints are more work to clean on installation. Finish edges with a wood surround.

Kiletravis09

Post by Kiletravis09 » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 6:50 pm

Just did a dry fit of all of the parts this evening. It came together very nice. I forgot how large this stove actually is. The top of the firepot measures 18in across so I’m hoping it puts out good heat for us. Also I really like the double heat feature on the back of the stove. It’s not only a beautiful casting but also a super functional piece on the stove. Tomorrow I’m going to start building the hearth pad where it will sit. Then once that’s done, I’m going to disassemble the stove, then reassemble it piece by piece on the hearth pad. I’m ready to run some anthracite through this lady!

Paned
Baseburners & Antiques: Florence 153, 151; Imperial Acorn, Alert Acorn, Acme Carbon, Favorite 261, Favorite 416, Estate Square Oak

Post by Paned » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 9:46 am

I’ve got an old house so hard to really say on square footage. I think 15-1800 ft2 on a newer style home. Think to remember with coal is it will put out a constant temp for 10-12 hours without touching stove. If I set at 400 it stays there. Also you stove pipe temp should be low to keep heat in stove instead of out chimney. On a wood stove the pipe needs to be hot to stop creosote buildup. Anthracite is clean and has no buildup. Here is my stove last year. You can see settings. Hope this help. Congrats you have one of the best all around Stoves. It burns wood, bit coal, and anthracite very well.

Kiletravis09

Post by Kiletravis09 » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 4:06 pm

Paned wrote:
Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 9:46 am
I’ve got an old house so hard to really say on square footage. I think 15-1800 ft2 on a newer style home. Think to remember with coal is it will put out a constant temp for 10-12 hours without touching stove. If I set at 400 it stays there. Also you stove pipe temp should be low to keep heat in stove instead of out chimney. On a wood stove the pipe needs to be hot to stop creosote buildup. Anthracite is clean and has no buildup. Here is my stove last year. You can see settings. Hope this help. Congrats you have one of the best all around Stoves. It burns wood, bit coal, and anthracite very well.

In the video you said it’s cold here in Ohio. Where are you located? I’m in west/central Ohio. I have seen some of your projects and they are just beautiful. A lot of the stoves you have, you just don’t see in Ohio too often. Also I saw another video of a parts stove you have (#153) do you still have that stove? I need one more part.

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Tue. Jan. 02, 2018 8:57 am

Kiletravis09, my hearth is not a beauty by any means but my only concern was the wood mantle and the carpet. I made a heat shield for the wood mantle as you can see in the picture and as far as the carpet goes it doesn't get hot enough for me to worry about but my stove is sitting 7" off the floor which gives me a 14" of clearance to the carpet. I never needed or built a hearth pad so I can't comment on that part of your question.
IMG_0954.jpg
.JPG | 750.5KB | IMG_0954.jpg

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”