First Fire

jthorell
Baseburners & Antiques: Fuller & Warren "Splendid"
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite
Other Heating: Forced air propane

Post by jthorell » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 8:35 am

Well I finally had time to start up my Fuller Warren Splendid last night.
I have a lot to learn.
I got the fire started with charcoal as discussed in this forum. I had a good, hot fire in 45 minutes.
I filled the magazine with 40 pounds of coal and sat back to observe.
When I put it in the base burn mode I started smelling sulfur from the top of the barrel. At this point, I was committed (Magazine full and 10 PM) so I left the damper open and closed the draft part way. Winds were strong (15 gusting to 22) and the temp got down to 9 degrees. I slept on the couch to keep an eye on things. The sulfur smell never got better. When I flip it open to direct draft , there is no smell. I guess I will have to seal up the top of the barrel.
Anyways, I burned 40 pounds of coal; in 10 hours, which I feel is excessive.

Any comments are appreciated. I have thick skin so fire away.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 8:37 am

Pix j, we need pix! :)

Canaan coal man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Efm 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: A little cubby coal stove in the basement
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove And Nut

Post by Canaan coal man » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 9:28 am

Did any carbon monoxide detectors register at all during the night that would be my first worry. What was your mano showing for draft?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 10:23 am

Even in base heater mode, normally, there should be a strong enough draft to keep the sulfur smell inside the stove and stove pipes,.... if they are properly sealed. The only exception is if the wind gusts can blow in such a manor that it backdrafts your chimney.

Does it only happen when it's windy ? If it happens when there is no wind, that rules out wind-gust chimney back drafting.

So that leaves just the stove and pipes. Check to make sure there are no air leaks anywhere in the stove above the firebed, including the base chamber and flues leading to it. Check all the pipe connections right up to the chimney connection.

You can use a piece of smoldering string, or incense stick, held close to the stove joints to see if the smoke gets pulled in by a leak. Any leaks of room air in will reduce draft strength to the point that it can allow exhaust to leak out. Most likely why you are smelling exhaust.

Do you have a manometer hooked up to the stove pipe before the MPD (manual pipe damper) to check draft strength ? That would tell a lot about how well the stove and chimney system can draft in base heater mode.

Paul

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 11:14 am

Good hot fire in 45 minutes?....barrel temp and stack temp(s)??.

Do you have an MPD?.

Did you clean out any fly ash from last year?.

If'n the fire is hot and the chimney has heat in it, it should draw (no sulfur smell). If you have fly ash built up down below, when you put it in BB mode, the gases can't get drawn out (then you can get the stanky's from the top of the stove).

If you use an MPD and crowd it too quickly before it gasses off, you can also get the stanky's.

If you are NOT using an MPD...follow the BB passage all the way through to the elbow....make sure it's not plugged.

If it draws fine on start up, the chimney probably isn't the issue...the issue is most likely between the BB mode damper and the outlet elbow.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 11:31 am

The magazine should have holes around the top to exhaust gas buildup in that area. Need a draft measurement to pin it down further.

jthorell

Post by jthorell » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 12:13 pm

Thanks guys.
The wind died down early this AM so I put a bit more coal on to experiment. It is 7 degrees out.

I just got back from chores and as soon as I walked in the house I could smell it. I have pretty blue flames all around and my ash pan door draft is almost completely shut. The manual damper is about a third closed. The CO2 alarm did not go off.
The magazine does have a number of cut outs surrounding the top.
My chimney is new. First time I have used it was last night.
I will use a cigar to see if I can detect any leaks around the base burner flue.
It is leaking on top of the barrel and also where the finial attaches. I rolled up a piece of paper and sniffed around and those are the spots that curl my nose hair. I will shut it down and cement the entire top portion including around the bolts.

I should also invest in a manometer and a CO detector.

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 12:35 pm

jthorell wrote:
Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 12:13 pm
I have pretty blue flames all around and my ash pan door draft is almost completely shut.
The manual damper is about a third closed.[/quote]

If I am reading this correct....your primary air controls are nearly shut?. Why??.
What is your startup procedure?. In direct mode with the MPD open your primaries should be open and the secondary air cracked half way open(ish). Coal should be added in layers versus one big slug. Doing this puts heat in the chimney while building the fire. After you see the blue ladies on the first layer, add another layer...repeat until full. At this point, you should be able to close the secondary air, set the primary to where you want (say half way open and adjust down as required), put in BB mode and add in some MPD.

AT THIS POINT...when closing the MPD, you can use that "leak" where the finial is to sniff when you've gone too far with the MPD. When you get a whiff of sulfur, back off on the MPD a smidge until the smell goes away. Let it run for a half hour(ish) like this and you should be able to slow it down even more with the MPD without the sulfur smell (again, sniff at the finial and adjust accordingly). As the coal goes from gassing off to a full glow you should be able to shut the MPD with no sulfur smell.
It is leaking on top of the barrel and also where the finial attaches. I rolled up a piece of paper and sniffed around and those are the spots that curl my nose hair. I will shut it down and cement the entire top portion including around the bolts.
The leak where the finial attaches is not the problem. Your pressure in the barrel should be negative if you have heat in the chimney and all passages are clean.

Sounds to me that either your passages aren't clean OR you aren't putting any heat in the chimney.

As an example, when I am starting a fire or doing a refill....I'll let it run with the primary air wide open, the secondary air at least half open until I get 350F on the barrel and 200F on the stack before putting it in BB mode and start closing the MPD. This works for my setup/chimney....yours will most likely be different depending on your chimney but you get the idea.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 1:46 pm

What size coal did you load in the magazine?

If I'm not mistaken, is this is the globe stove you just had restored? And this is your first fire in it ?

Paulie

jthorell

Post by jthorell » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 1:53 pm

Yep!

Just like farming - there is a learning curve and you fellas are making me smarter.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 2:32 pm

Have you checked the lid on the magazine? The lid on my bb didn't show light when tested during assembly but a hot fire changed the shape of things that are 100 yrs old.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 2:45 pm

jthorell wrote:
The CO2 alarm did not go off.
jthorell wrote:
I should also invest in a manometer and a CO detector
What? You have a carbon dioxide detector but not a carbon MONoxide detector? You can smell sulfur in the house? Shut it down immediately before you fall asleep and don't wake up.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 2:48 pm

Lightning wrote:
Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 2:45 pm
What? You have a carbon dioxide detector but not a carbon MONoxide detector? You can smell sulfur in the house? Shut it down immediately before you fall asleep and don't wake up.
......" I have thick skin so fire away."
+1

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 4:29 pm

Lots of people get that CO & CO2 stuff confused--if the alarm says carbon monoxide you're good-- if not--get to the store---calm down Lee!! :)

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 4:37 pm

Yeah I know Fred, but he said the CO2 alarm didn't go off and then said he needed to buy a CO detector so, that seemed pretty clear to me. But hopefully your right :yes:

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”