First Fire

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 7:07 am

FYI, If heating large, unlined, exterior brick chimneys in cold weather were a problem for old stoves in BB mode, my range would have gone out last night.

This morning it is minus 2 degrees here.

Primary damper was open a sliver.
In oven (BB) mode all night.
MPD fully closed.

Readings as of 6 am.
Top plates over firebox = 650 F +
Pipe, 30 inches up from stove collar = 116 F
Mano .005
Kitchen 68 F

Paul

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 7:19 am

jthorell wrote:
Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 1:01 pm

After the CO alarms went off yesterday afternoon I decided not to let the fire die out on it's own. (no heat so no draft) I shoveled out the remaining hot coals and let it cool off. The house smells normal again and the Frau is back to Christmas stuff.
.....this is THEEEEE most important part of this thread. Stove not running...we'll get it going. CO detectors going off....meh. But there are things in nature YOU DO NOT mess with.
I believe I have a draft problem due to my big (8"X10" clay tile) exterior masonry, 25 foot tall chimney that is cooling my smoke rapidly when it is very cold. Every time I went to base burner mode I could instantly smell flu gas from the top of the barrel (No where else)
25 total or 25ft from the T?. Either way, in my opinion, that isn't the issue. If that is hot, it should draw....and it is drawing if the stove will start up and run until you put it in BB mode.

Again, write out your procedure for startup...this will be very helpful...as will two magnetic thermometers for monitoring barrel temp and exhaust temp. As it is right now, you are guessing on many fronts. You can cheaply eliminate some of those guesses with some cheapo magnetic thermometers. You can go the extra mile and get a mano (I have threatened to get one and just never have...I'm running mine totally old school).
I am discovering that much like wood, coal burning is more art than science . So I am going to apply more science.
I am going to try the AUTO-DRAFT® MODEL AD-1 INDUCER FAN FOR WOOD OR COAL STOVES made by Tjernlund. ($100 - $145) Then I know I will be drawing the flu gases up and out.
By creating more vacuum in the barrel my stove should perform like it used to in Grandpa's basement. (Who had and interior, 2 1/2 story brick chimney) And the sulfur and CO should go up he chimney.
I know nothing of those widgets.....but that's a pretty harsh environment to have a doo-hickey operate in and for any length of time. I wouldn't go that route yet. Also....whatcha gunna do when the power goes out?.
[/quote]

Pancho

Post by Pancho » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 7:39 am

Pauliewog wrote:
Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 1:09 pm
The check damper on your Glenwood #8 is a little different than an internal check damper on a suspended pot base burner.

I view a Glenwood check damper on the elbow as being a manually operated barometric damper. I use mine on really windy days in combination with my mpd to reduce draft.

On a suspended pot base burner the internal check damper is located on an inner wall behind the firepot. When this is open it diverts the primary under fire air directly into the flue bypassing the firebed.

Paulie
I have never run a suspended pot stove with an internal check damper so I can add nothing to that end of the discussion.....but my point was that, IF THERE IS HEAT IN THE CHIMNEY.....you can have some very large "leaks" above the fire bed and the stove will still operate quite well. Hellz bellz, the gas ring is a constant massive leak.

If the stove will startup without filling the house with sulfur/CO and uber upset women, the chimney is drawing. Now the question to me is, in order, what is being done to further build the fire all the while adding more heat to the chimney?. This is where some pics and a write up of the procedure would be helpful (and the pics should include to magnetic thermometers.....dammit).

Then, if we KNOW we have sufficient heat in the chimney, we can then move towards what is going on with the internal check thingy/BB mode. Then onto MPD settings (if one is being used).

To me it sounds as if the check gizmo is being shut too far too soon (like I've done in the past with my MPD and also got the sulfur smell out the finial hole)....but again I have never run a suspended pot stove with the intern check....BUT....the principals of stove operation are kind of all the same. Keep heat in the chimney, it maintains a draft and thus keeps a negative pressure in the stove at all times and no stanky smell/CO bells going off and the wife is warm and happy. :P

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 7:56 am

A wild thought, but......
........ is there anyway that the BB flues, baffles, and/or, damper could be put in wrong and it's closing off the flue somehow in BB mode ?

Sure would help to have some mano readings in and out of BB mode !!!!!

Paul

Pancho

Post by Pancho » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 11:14 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 7:56 am
A wild thought, but......
........ is there anyway that the BB flues, baffles, and/or, damper could be put in wrong and it's closing off the flue somehow in BB mode ?

Sure would help to have some mano readings in and out of BB mode !!!!!

Paul
That's why I was asking about an obstruction the other day...that's what it sounds like. Either an obstruction or something reassembled incorrectly so the gasses CANNOT escape in BB mode.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 11:49 am

He needs to sell me that stove ASAP so I can ship his new wood stove 😜

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 12:06 pm

HMMMMMM............,
'SCALABRO'- sounds like a good name for a thoroughbred, at the gate, chomping at the bit, at the Kentucky Derby!!!!
Cheers

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 1:20 pm

scalabro wrote:
Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 11:49 am
He needs to sell me that stove ASAP so I can ship his new wood stove 😜
We better hurry up and fix this one, ..... the stove vultures smell a dead stove and are starting to circle........ :lol:

Paul

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 1:40 pm

Pancho

Post by Pancho » Wed. Dec. 20, 2017 6:49 am

So, uhhhhh.....where we at?. Find any blockages on inspection?.

Gunna get KOLD next week...let's get er goin.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”