First Fire

jthorell
Baseburners & Antiques: Fuller & Warren "Splendid"
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite
Other Heating: Forced air propane

Post by jthorell » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 5:01 pm

michaelanthony wrote:
Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 2:32 pm
Have you checked the lid on the magazine? The lid on my bb didn't show light when tested during assembly but a hot fire changed the shape of things that are 100 yrs old.
Yes, Thank you.

My lid is very tight

jthorell

Post by jthorell » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 5:01 pm

michaelanthony wrote:
Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 2:48 pm
......" I have thick skin so fire away."
+1
Off to the hardware store!!

wilsons woodstoves
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood, Crawford, Magee, Herald, Others

Post by wilsons woodstoves » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 5:20 pm

You said you had a new chimney, is it masonary ?maybe needs to dry out a little more, I agree with poncho, add a little coal at a time. (build a fire)

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 5:22 pm

When you get back from the hardware store........ What size coal did you fill the magazine with ?

Paulie

jthorell

Post by jthorell » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 5:37 pm

Pauliewog wrote:
Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 1:46 pm
What size coal did you load in the magazine?

If I'm not mistaken, is this is the globe stove you just had restored? And this is your first fire in it ?

Paulie
Nut size coal

jthorell

Post by jthorell » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 5:48 pm

wilsons woodstoves wrote:
Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 5:20 pm
You said you had a new chimney, is it masonary ?maybe needs to dry out a little more, I agree with poncho, add a little coal at a time. (build a fire)
It is masonry (Clay Tile & Solid Brick) but it has been up for almost two years.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 11:13 pm

Nut coal should be perfect size for your stove.

From the pictures on your other thread since this stove was just completely restored and this is its first fire, I would assume it was completely disassembled, bead blasted, and resealed. This would rule out the base burner passages being blocked.

Is the internal check damper completely closed?

How is it running tonight ?

Paulie

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 6:10 am

jthorell wrote:
Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 5:48 pm
It is masonry (Clay Tile & Solid Brick) but it has been up for almost two years.
Ah, yes.....interior or exterior?. Makes a big difference.

If exterior (like mine), there is no thing as too much heat in the chimney. Get yourself two magnet thermometers. One on the barrel and one on the pipe.

MPD fully open, direct mode, primaries WIDE OPEN on start up, secondary air half-ish open...let r eat.
Layer the coal bed at loading....adding more once you get the blue ladies*******. Do that until full.
At 400F on the barrel and 200F on the stack, you have heat in the chimney and you are in business (again, your setup will probably run a bit different but you get the idea....YOU learn your adjustments to YOUR setup....and those adjustments constantly change with weather conditions).

Shut secondary's.
Primary at 50%-ISH open (adjust as the burn cycle changes from gassing off to glowing)
BB mode
MPD 30%-ISH shut
Until you get a feel for how your system works, monitor frequently. IF YOU SMELL SULFUR, back off on the MPD.

*******I see you are burning nut coal. I run stove size in mine. The process I go through happens much faster with stove size. Burning all nut, startup or refills may take some time. Being I am used to stove size, whenever I have run nut size.....it's like pulling teefs waiting for it to get going.

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 6:47 am

When to shake it (another part of the art of coal stove operation) you will also have to learn as you go. Obviously in warmer outdoor temps, less tending is required than when it's 3F outside.

I use the magnetic thermometers as an indicator of when I should shake. The burn characteristics of a coal fire are pretty simple once you pass the gassing off stage. The stove temp output will be constant for a given primary/MPD setting for as long as it has fuel and can breathe. When it can't breathe (which will happen before you run out of fuel), you'll see a drop in temps on the barrel. At this point I will open the MPD, put it in direct mode fully open the secondary, CLOSE THE PRIMARY AIR. Now all your air is across the top of the coal bed and going directly out the chimney.

SHORT CHOPPY STROKES. You will see the coal bed settle as you do this. Crack one of the primary vents and see if you have a good glow down below. If you do, STOP shaking. Readjust your settings until you need to shake again or reload.

I DO NOT like to run my coal bed down to the last glowing nugget. I've lost a fire or two to shaking a real shallow bed....aaaaand nothing pisses me off like having to re-start a fire mid season.

While doing all this, take mental notes of outside conditions as well as stove settings and what results you see on the barrel/stack temps.

Lots variables that are in a constant state of.....varying. As you get used to how your system operates in a given set of conditions, you'll laugh at how easy coal is.

jthorell

Post by jthorell » Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 1:26 pm

Pauliewog wrote:
Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 11:13 pm
Nut coal should be perfect size for your stove.

From the pictures on your other thread since this stove was just completely restored and this is its first fire, I would assume it was completely disassembled, bead blasted, and resealed. This would rule out the base burner passages being blocked.

Is the internal check damper completely closed?

How is it running tonight ?

Hey Paulie:

The stove was entirely redone just as you state. But perhaps there is a leak somewhere inside so I am going to shut down and investigate.

Internal damper? Would that be the slide gate on the back side of the fire chamber level with the grate? I have tried it both open and closed and it makes no difference. It is still letting some flue gas out the top of the barrel tonight as it dies out.

Paulie

jthorell

Post by jthorell » Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 1:49 pm

As I am letting the fire go put this morning the CO detectors sounded off.
The stove MPD has been full open and the stove has been in direct draft mode with the draft wide open also.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 2:14 pm

You said it's a new chimney but it's been up for a couple years. Did you verify that it hasn't been plugged by a bird's nest or the like?

I'm glad you got the carbon monoxide detectors up, they could have saved your life already.

jthorell

Post by jthorell » Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 2:17 pm

Yep

I just took pail and shovel to clean out the fire pot.
No birds nest in chimney. (I was hoping for one) I think the chimney is cooling the smoke too fast. Might have to put in a 6" liner.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 2:20 pm

I've never heard of that being a problem. The chimney stays warm enough after a fire that it will continue to draw unless there are other circumstances such as negative pressure in the house somehow.

A liner is likely not the solution.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 2:27 pm

Liners aren't recommended because coal fly ash becomes corrosive during the summer months with humidity.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”