Bead shape for barrel

Winneroak14
Baseburners & Antiques: Winner Oak No. 14 square base

Post by Winneroak14 » Mon. Dec. 04, 2017 10:27 am

Finding someone to roll me out a new barrel has proven much harder than thought it would be. I’ve scoured all of Southeast Michigan and only found two shops that might be able to once they see my old one to determine whether not they can do it. My question is, I’ve heard different ideas of what the bead needs to be like. I’ve drawn some side views of what the bead would look like if rolled into a flat sheet of metal. One is with the bead dimpled outward on the top and bottom, one is a combination of and outward bead and rolled inward at the top and bottom creating an S shape in the metal I’ve heard that is needed, and one is a bead dimpled out on top and in on the bottom towards a firepot. Is one of these a must or is just some kind a Bead needed pending the shops capabilities of what they can do? The views are if you were looking at the side of stove. The inside of the stove Is to the left.

Attachments

A16AC592-4A88-4BD0-AB3C-7E9365876924.jpeg
.JPEG | 514KB | A16AC592-4A88-4BD0-AB3C-7E9365876924.jpeg
Last edited by Winneroak14 on Mon. Dec. 04, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Dec. 04, 2017 10:45 am

Your second drawing, with the beads curving in toward the inside of the stove are what I've seen on many sheet metal cylinder stove bodies.

Paul

Winneroak14
Baseburners & Antiques: Winner Oak No. 14 square base

Post by Winneroak14 » Mon. Dec. 04, 2017 10:51 am

Thanks Paul. Whoops, I should’ve specified which side of the drawing was inside the stove and the outside of it. So, you’ve seen the beads rolled in, towards the inside of the stove? A simple roll like that would be nice. There isn’t a ledge on the top of my firepot I noticed, just holes down from the top where the barrel would bolt up to, so I’m thinking I wouldn’t need a lip rolled in the bottom of the new barrel as well. Thanks again for your help through this project!

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Mon. Dec. 04, 2017 8:46 pm

My thoughts are barrel beads were like finger prints. If you look at all of the antiques we have on here you will find just as many barrel beads. My stove has 2 sets of beads, 1 set starts approx. 4 inches from the top of the barrel and the 2nd approx. 6 inches from the bottom of the barrel. They are identical in design and consist of 5 beads each, the center bead is wider than the other 4.
...the real question is, are there 5 beads protruding towards the room or 6 beads heading towards the fire pot. If you look closely you will see neither is happening. The center line of the bead is in line with the smooth parts of the barrel. Pretty neat optical illusion isn't it?! :baby:

Attachments

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Mon. Dec. 04, 2017 11:38 pm

This is another bead pattern I see on a lot of stoves. Two outer rolls in and center one out.

Paulie

Attachments

20171204_232215-1.jpg
.JPG | 84.1KB | 20171204_232215-1.jpg

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”