Draft Controls

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sat. Dec. 02, 2017 7:11 am

The back pipe / damper to my Home Sparkle had yrs of crap pasted to it. I needed to move the exhaust port on the pipe so a good old cleaning was needed on all parts related. When I finished the scraping, wire wheel, and sanding I stood back and marveled at the simplicity yet functionally intelligent design that went into the damper valve that sits behind my stove directing the exhaust either directly out to the chimney or down below the fire pit and back to the chimney. Now granted there was much wear and tear where there should be, (try saying that 10 times fast!) :lol: yet the part still worked as designed and with a paint job it would look new. It has a round butterfly valve with 2 settings, vertical or horizontal. In the vertical position, also called closed, it appeared to be ajar slightly allowing gas to leak past the top half of the circle shaped damper yet the bottom is closed tight to it's stop. It looks like about a 3/32's gap.
.....then it dawned on me like a 2 by 4 to the back of the head!, IIRC someone mentioned this intent design that this allows some escape of gases even in base mode.
Could it be a safety net of sorts? I'm thinking maybe incase the base is clogged with ash there is still an escape route for gases?? Allowing fresh coal volatiles to leave if by chance the stove is NOT put in direct draft during reload?? Too much gas for the base mode to handle??? all of the above and more I'm sure. Let me know what you all think.
IMG_20171202_073524967.jpg
.JPG | 422.2KB | IMG_20171202_073524967.jpg

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Dec. 02, 2017 10:07 am

I can see that would be a reason. Not trapping gases dangerously was a consideration. The proof of that is that even the antique pipe dampers are cast with holes so they can't completely shut off the exhaust flow through the pipe and back up exhaust into the house.

And as you know, parts change size with such extremes of temperature. In some instances, if moving parts are fitted with very close tolerance that wouldn't leak, they might jam.

Paul

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sat. Dec. 02, 2017 10:13 am

+1

The loose fit is simply to allow excess volatile gasses from building up in the top of the barrel increasing the likelihood of a “Boom” :-o

This is particularly apparent in extended can stoves like my Stewart 14 :lol:

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sat. Dec. 02, 2017 11:46 am

Thanks guys!...a little too warm this morning but I'm hoping for a cold front to move in. :baby: :lol:

I best get the Santa pipe put together...guttah' go!

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”