Fellow base burners...Do you leave the ash pan in?

Canaan coal man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Efm 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: A little cubby coal stove in the basement
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove And Nut

Post by Canaan coal man » Wed. Nov. 29, 2017 2:47 pm

As the title says. Would a ash pan half full of ash hinder the the heat from the base chamber to warm the primary air to aid in combustion efficiency?
Sorry this is a quick jant, but i have to get back to work. Any input?

Ill be back later :D

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Wed. Nov. 29, 2017 4:02 pm

I don’t think you would notice a difference. I always remove COLD ashes though, never right after shaking.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Nov. 29, 2017 5:50 pm

Yes, leave it in. Empty or half full. Otherwise stuff will fall, ash and clumps and then you'll have trouble getting it in.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"

Post by scalabro » Wed. Nov. 29, 2017 6:03 pm

CCM do you mean run the stove with no ashpan?

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Wed. Nov. 29, 2017 6:22 pm

I always leave a pan under the grates ( I have 2 ash pans for my #8 ) and a +1 on what Scott said about not pulling the pan with hot ashes in it. I was told by Wilson that the pan helps protect the ash pit floor from the high temp of the burning coal above.

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Wed. Nov. 29, 2017 6:46 pm

That is exactly why Baseburner & baseheater bottom pans warp! “Pilot error” hahahahaha! The shakedown ashes keep the massive amounts of radiant heat from the yellow coals :o from reaching the pan.

Always empty cold ashes.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Nov. 29, 2017 7:02 pm

Although I'm not a member of the elite BB club (yet lol), I do keep my ash pan out of the ash pit area on my furnace. My reasoning is that the floor of the furnace is able to soak up radiant heat from the burning fuel bed just a few inches above it. But, it being a furnace, the convection blowers push air between the floor of the fire box and the bottom air jacket panel. It adds just a little more surface area for heat transfer.

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Wed. Nov. 29, 2017 7:07 pm

Lee has an air cooled ash drawer :ugeek: :lol:

I’d do that too Lee if I had a furnace.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Wed. Nov. 29, 2017 9:03 pm

On the bb I leave the ash pan in until it's ready for its next shakedown. The ash is cool from the previous shakedown and leaving the ash door open for the few minutes it takes to go outside and dump it, gets the draft cranking, in advance of the shakedown and the fresh supply of incoming coal dropping from the magazine.

I have two ash pans for the stoker and when switching them out, I leave the full one in the furnace room, let it give up its heat, and empty it the following day. :yes:

Paulie

wilsons woodstoves
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood, Crawford, Magee, Herald, Others

Post by wilsons woodstoves » Thu. Nov. 30, 2017 9:01 am

good question.I think the ash pan should always be in when the stove is running. more so ,on a 6 or 8 that pan will protect that thin cast floor. two ash pans is the HOT setup...............wilson

Canaan coal man

Post by Canaan coal man » Thu. Nov. 30, 2017 9:33 am

Ya i should have been more descriptive with my op. At night i dump my full ash pan. The Stove then runs for the 12 hrs with an empty pan in the ash pit till the morning tend. Then after shake down the stove will run 12 hrs with a half filled pan. Dose the ash in the pan create "insulation" above the base chamber causing lower primary air pre heat? I dont know if this would matter as much on guys with suspended fire pots because of the gas path insulating the pot.

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Thu. Nov. 30, 2017 5:14 pm

Canaan coal man wrote:
Thu. Nov. 30, 2017 9:33 am
Ya i should have been more descriptive with my op. At night i dump my full ash pan. The Stove then runs for the 12 hrs with an empty pan in the ash pit till the morning tend. Then after shake down the stove will run 12 hrs with a half filled pan. Dose the ash in the pan create "insulation" above the base chamber causing lower primary air pre heat? I dont know if this would matter as much on guys with suspended fire pots because of the gas path insulating the pot.
If anything freshly shaken “ash in the pan” would tend to add the the heating of primary air. But I doubt that you would notice any gain.

The main point is to keep the heat off the base casting to keep it from warping and cracking. Keeping ashes in the pan until “cold” does this.

I’ve found the best way to do this on my stoves is to empty the cold ashes, shake and reload.

Additionally, removing freshly shaken ashes does not allow them to possibly release their heat into the stove and hence the house.

Clear as mud? :?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Nov. 30, 2017 5:47 pm

I get that completely Scott. I dump my hot ashes into a galvanized 30 gallon can where they can give up their stored BTUs to the basement.

Canaan coal man

Post by Canaan coal man » Fri. Dec. 01, 2017 9:20 am

So the 12 hours i run the stove without ash in the ash pan i could potentially be harming the base chamber?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Dec. 01, 2017 9:47 am

I think that the ash pan affords some heat shielding of the ash drawer floor even when empty.

Easy way to find out is if you have an IR gun. Run the stove without the ash pan for about 10 minutes. Then open the ash door and take a reading in the middle of the ash drawer floor.

Then put the empty pan in and wait about ten minutes. Quickly pull the pan out and re-measure the middle of the floor to see if there is a difference.

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”