Fellow base burners...Do you leave the ash pan in?

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sat. Dec. 02, 2017 1:17 pm

Do you have the package or SKU # for those handles Paul?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Dec. 02, 2017 2:29 pm

Scott,

I had bought more, but do you think I can find them now ? Nooooo ! :oops:

Went to Lowes website and searched "drawer handles". It came up with 65 pages worth. :o

Then I added the magic words "zinc plated" and that brought it up as first choice. Three tries is the charm. :D

Here ya go,

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gatehouse-Home-Hardware- ... le/3353268

Paul

Canaan coal man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Efm 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: A little cubby coal stove in the basement
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove And Nut

Post by Canaan coal man » Mon. Dec. 04, 2017 9:26 am

wow you guys have been busy this weekend. So im thinking ill change my tending cycle. Ill still dump my pan at night ill just shake both pm and am and let it sit in the stove.
I really need to get another pan made up.

Paul i really like the turkey pan with water idea under the stove. Or if i had 2 ash pans one will sit under the stove getting ready for its next use. I know that when im pushing the stove 550* + it gets rather warm to the touch under the stove. Nights when i have ran her 650-700* ill set a fan up leaning it to the floor under the stove to get air movement to help cool it off.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Dec. 04, 2017 10:23 am

Canaan coal man wrote:
Mon. Dec. 04, 2017 9:26 am
wow you guys have been busy this weekend. So im thinking ill change my tending cycle. Ill still dump my pan at night ill just shake both pm and am and let it sit in the stove.
I really need to get another pan made up.

Paul i really like the turkey pan with water idea under the stove. Or if i had 2 ash pans one will sit under the stove getting ready for its next use. I know that when im pushing the stove 550* + it gets rather warm to the touch under the stove. Nights when i have ran her 650-700* ill set a fan up leaning it to the floor under the stove to get air movement to help cool it off.
CCM,
You can thank Scott for that idea.

I just changed his idea to an ash pan 'cause I know I'll be sloping water around pushing the pan under the stove with my foot. :oops:

In the meantime, I went looking for baking pans and found that I have the large, never-used, broiler pan from my gas stove. It's closer in size and shape to the underside of the #6 base pan, so I'll be trying that.

And if it isn't enough heat shield, it will hold an inch deep of play sand, which is what the code allows as one of the insulating layers of some types of hearth construction.

Luckily for klutzy me, sand doesn't spill as easily as water. :lol:

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”