Baltimore heater, what to know?

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Nov. 24, 2017 8:12 am

Have an empty fireplace in the basement, that I am itching to install some sort of coal burning fireplace insert.
Had been considering Keystoker and Hitzer, but even when stripped down they are heavy!
Looked into importing a European model, which there are a number of inserts, but the hassle of trying to get one imported, the expense of shipping and future difficulty of support/parts, its not something I want to bother with.
I see on sites of restoration shops, antique fireplace inserts and Baltimore heaters.
From the little information I can find they weight-wise many are around 200 pounds.

What do I need to know about these?

Being restorations, parts would be an issue? I am assuming that since they are out of production that at least a restoration shop could fix something up if needed?

Are Baltimore heaters a downsized baseburner?

I have seen photos of a number of baseburners members on here have posted, showing a grate system that looks like rods with sprockets as opposed to a shaker grate. What sort of grate should I expect to see in a Baltimore heater?

I have read references and seen photos of adding ram-set refractory to the sides of baseburner pots. Is that something that could be added to a Baltimore heater's firepot?

If the grate is fixed, how would one clear out ashes? open the ash pan door and rake the underside of each slot in the grate with a poker?

What should I be asking the shops that have these about them?
What should I be watching out for?

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Nov. 24, 2017 2:10 pm

So I received some photos of a unit that is available to be restored.
I am a bit confused by the grating setup.
Can someone school me on it?

My understanding of burning coal (I have no experience) is that the coal bed should completely cover the grate so the air cannot travel around the coal bed. I have seen photos of baseburner grates, that were in the shape of a bowl. So I am surprised by this photo, its looks more like a grill (open sides). I am not complaining or saying something is wrong, I just don't know what I am looking at.

School me please!
grate_question.jpg

grate question

.JPG | 36.2KB | grate_question.jpg

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Nov. 24, 2017 2:30 pm

It looks like it is some sort of magazine above the fire pot.

I would be concerned by the space between the bottom of the fire pot and grate. Also the apparent lack of any ash pan or even room for one.

Tall mica sheets also more expensive to replace.

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Nov. 24, 2017 3:28 pm

franco b wrote:
Fri. Nov. 24, 2017 2:30 pm
It looks like it is some sort of magazine above the fire pot.

I would be concerned by the space between the bottom of the fire pot and grate. Also the apparent lack of any ash pan or even room for one.

Tall mica sheets also more expensive to replace.
Thanks for the response franco-b.
There is an ash pan in the base with a separate door, just can't see it in this photo.
Assuming the grate and the 'sort of magazine' are fixed, could ram-set refractory be pressed in place to close up the sides?
(Even if it could be done, I imagine that it would negatively affect the exhaust flow of the design.)

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Fri. Nov. 24, 2017 3:33 pm

How about some more & detailed pictures?

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Nov. 24, 2017 4:20 pm

scalabro wrote:
Fri. Nov. 24, 2017 3:33 pm
How about some more & detailed pictures?
That unit is not in my possession, so I cannot acquire any.
I'll ask, but I doubt I will get a response without sending a check first.

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Fri. Nov. 24, 2017 4:49 pm

gardener wrote:
Fri. Nov. 24, 2017 3:28 pm
Thanks for the response franco-b.
There is an ash pan in the base with a separate door, just can't see it in this photo.
Assuming the grate and the 'sort of magazine' are fixed, could ram-set refractory be pressed in place to close up the sides?
(Even if it could be done, I imagine that it would negatively affect the exhaust flow of the design.)

Ram set needs something to ram against, a backing. I think even stove coal would escape the firepot with that gap. It may not be original.

Even if it has an ash pan it will be very shallow.

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Nov. 24, 2017 5:23 pm

It sort of looks like the teeth on the middle 'magazine' might line up with the on the outer part of the grate.

The original user/owner is going to be contactedvby the seller.

Are there supposed to be any similarities in firepot design with that of baseburners?

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Fri. Nov. 24, 2017 5:49 pm

gardener wrote:
Fri. Nov. 24, 2017 5:23 pm
Are there supposed to be any similarities in firepot design with that of baseburners?
Yes, the old mica radiant stoves had similar fire pots but not with that big gap.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Nov. 25, 2017 6:33 pm

Hi gardener. I sent you a PM.
I join a few photos to show some details of a Baltimore Heater. Be very-very careful if you look for one. Usually they are un-complete (like the one on the photo you sent), have a lot of broken parts...and usually ask for a high $$$. The problem with missing or broken parts is that you don't have the original part for re-casting them. I spent a lot of time with peoples trying to sell me real scrap Heater, so much I could write an entire book about unfair offers. The majority of peoples don't know how a Baltimore Heater is make, how they work, how to heat them....so how can you buy the good one? You MUST take your time to learn all you can about those fabulous Heater.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Nov. 25, 2017 6:39 pm

nortcan wrote:
Sat. Nov. 25, 2017 6:33 pm
Hi gardener. I sent you a PM.
I join a few photos to show some details of a Baltimore Heater. Be very-very careful if you look for one. Usually they are un-complete (like the one on the photo you sent), have a lot of broken parts...and usually ask for a high $$$. The problem with missing or broken parts is that you don't have the original part for re-casting them. I spent a lot of time with peoples trying to sell me real scrap Heater, so much I could write an entire book about unfair offers. The majority of peoples don't know how a Baltimore Heater is make, how they work, how to heat them....so how can you buy the good one? You MUST take your time to learn all you can about those fabulous Heater.

Attachments

DSC05206.JPG

ash pan at the base

.JPG | 293.9KB | DSC05206.JPG
DSC04809.JPG

base

.JPG | 318KB | DSC04809.JPG
DSC05077.JPG

a complete one....

.JPG | 341KB | DSC05077.JPG

gardener

Post by gardener » Sat. Nov. 25, 2017 9:45 pm

nortcan wrote:
Sat. Nov. 25, 2017 6:33 pm
... Be very-very careful if you look for one. Usually they are un-complete (like the one on the photo you sent), have a lot of broken parts...and usually ask for a high $$$. ... I spent a lot of time with peoples trying to sell me real scrap Heater, so much I could write an entire book about unfair offers. ...
Nortcan,

When you brought home that Baltimore heater that you so wonderfully restored, did you purchase it from a dealer/restorer? Or was it from a private/individual seller?

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Nov. 25, 2017 10:10 pm

gardener wrote:
Sat. Nov. 25, 2017 9:45 pm
Nortcan,

When you brought home that Baltimore heater that you so wonderfully restored, did you purchase it from a dealer/restorer? Or was it from a private/individual seller?
I bought it from Bryant Stove, it was...........................restored. But as you can see I did a re-restoration over that .........restoration and got all the paint and even the rust off of it to bring it back like the first day of it's life. Bryant Stove made a good job on the body.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sun. Nov. 26, 2017 7:35 pm

If I were to guess from what can be seen in the picture that Baltimore heater looks like my " New Golden Sun", made by the James Spears Co. :o

Paulie

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. Nov. 28, 2017 11:34 pm

They did say it is a James Spear & Co.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”