interesting tid bit about base burners

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Nov. 18, 2017 9:58 am

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Nov. 18, 2017 12:53 pm

Wonderful find, Steve. Thanks for posting all those links.

Paul

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sat. Nov. 18, 2017 5:08 pm

I think a central thread or depository for information like this would be a great idea :idea:

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 11:35 am

I wonder why candy makers needed their own special stove design?

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 4:11 pm

PJT wrote:
Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 11:35 am
I wonder why candy makers needed their own special stove design?
you noticed that too eh ? maybe there are portions of the the heat surface that are always warmer or cooler and so you could move stuff around as needed by the progression of the cooking ?

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Tue. Jan. 16, 2018 12:08 pm

Very cool. Love the old catalogs. Looked at the Gurney one. They're the company that made the radiators in my house. Thanks for posting.
Matt

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 12:16 am

Wow!! what a collection of research and literature. Look and see in these pamphlets how seriously stove design was taken in the 19th and early 20th Century.
Tied very closely to the foundry business and the advancement of precision machining was the locomotive building industry. How we grew into the industrial giant of the world is easily traced.
In order to make better or more products they had to invent tools, methods and machinery that had had never been needed before. Every thing grew together. It's stunningly amazing when you take the time to think about it.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 2:08 am

One of the most amazing things about social media and the Internet are the people we meet.

Most of the information that Steve graciously posted was compiled by one man. I'm sure once I mention his name both Steve and William will recognize him.

When a question comes up about an unusual stove on Antique Stove Collectors one of two people are right there to answer it. And of course we all know Sir William is one of them.

Last week I was on a live facebook messenger chat with Howell and in our conversation gave him a link to Coal Pail.

The person responsible for compiling the majority of the links is Professor Howell Harris. When you click on the link to Durham, scroll down a bit until you see his picture.
There is a link to his personal Web page to the left of his picture, and that is one of the links posted by Steve. There are other links posted below his biography.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/history/staff/profiles/?id=399

Paulie

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 7:55 am

It would take another life time to get through all that material.
Thanks for the link.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 10:54 am

Thanks Steve and Paulie. Lots to read while waiting for the snow to stop.

Paul

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Jan. 19, 2018 3:35 pm

Thanks Steve...I found this thread around the first of January and have been reading lots of the links. This one in particular caught my attention about anthracite... https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Vq00AAAAMAAJ& ... &q&f=false ... and particularly if you scroll down to page 169 on that link and read about the cold winters. Not to mention other interesting statistics. I saved it to my computer to read later.

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. Mar. 19, 2019 3:03 pm

On that Google hyperlink that KingCoal listed it mentions:

About this time the "American" base burner was brought out by Van Wormer & McGravey, of Albany, proving very successful, and the Detroit Stove Works also made this stove under an agreement for a limited period. Several stoves of this construction, with improvements, were made by different ones. Perry & Co., of Albany, made the "Argand," which contained the features of the anti-clinker grate, and the full double illumination of mica. This seemed to be exactly what the people wanted.

This shape was followed by leading firms, and in 1884 the Michigan Stove Co. brought out a stove with square base, round front, nearly square sides, with a round fire pot and a round top surmounted by a dome, calling the same "Art-Garland." This stove was imitated by six of the largest stove manufacturers in the country. Later on the Reflector-top, first made in 1887 by the Michigan Stove Co., proved a great sensation; it was patented by the same company, as was also the stove called the Reflector Art Garland. Nearly all first-class stove manufacturers manufacturing a baseburner are making stoves after this style.

What is a anti-clinker grate ??? is it distinct from the shaker grates, clamshell grate, prismatic grates?

What is a full double illumination of mica ???

What is a Reflector top ??? is this the big sunburst bridle that most of the big mica domed base burners have? bridle might not be the correct word for it

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Mar. 19, 2019 8:17 pm

Anti-clinker grate is some type of grate bars that rotate to dump clinkers and ash. The design might vary somewhat by manufacturer ?????

Literature I've seen for R&S Acorn ranges list them available with either "Dockash" or "Anti-clinker" grates. My in-laws Acorn range did not come with Dockash grates, so I assume R&S was referring to the twin grate bars that were in that range that are geared together to dump clinkers.

The grates are a cast iron grill-work that forms a slight troth down middle length of the bars. Each bar also has long, curved teeth that extend down the sides into the ash pan area. I originally thought the teeth were for breaking up the clinkers, but the gears (called cogs) are not full 360 degree gears, like dock ash and triangular grates use. These grates can only move 90 degrees to dump the clinkers, then need to be rotated in reverse back into position. The long curved teeth are not meant to be teeth to break up clinkers. They are more fingers just to keep coal from getting jammed between the grate bars and the sides of the firebox so that the grates can be rotated back after dumping.

Not sure what "double illumination" mica means. Maybe two rows. Or like some, two mica doors, one above the other, on three sides ?????

Yes, the reflectors are the polished concave shape on the bonnet's sides.

Paul

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Mar. 20, 2019 7:22 am

yep as Paul has explained the anti clinker grates are a variant of the duplex / clam shell style common with mica radiant base burners

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Wed. Mar. 20, 2019 8:11 am

The double illumination refers to the light radiated from the top of the coal bed and also the light from the lower windows below the firepot between the fingers.

Paulie

Attachments

Screenshot_2019-03-20-08-05-19.png
.PNG | 2.8MB | Screenshot_2019-03-20-08-05-19.png

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”