Our Glenwood question

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 10:11 am

I've been noticing on some Our Glenwood 111 stoves there are holes drilled into the secondary air slider so when completely closed there is still air feeding into the stove. I've been told this is factory, but not all of the G111 stoves have these small holes. One explanation would be if the loading doors on the Our Glenwood stoves are interchangeable. I'm not sure if the breast plates on the G109, G111 and G113 are the same size. Since the G109 does not have these holes in the secondary air slider then maybe some of the G111 doors have been swapped at some point with G109 doors. If it's factory then what is the reason for these small holes only on the G111 stoves? If it's not factory then why would someone drill holes into this slider?

Attachments

G111 Complete 004_zpsnavjw1mj.jpg

secondary slider without holes

.JPG | 91.3KB | G111 Complete 004_zpsnavjw1mj.jpg
stove 2.jpg

secondary slider with holes

.JPG | 19KB | stove 2.jpg

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 11:13 am

I can see that, like the secondary air feed holes on the GW #6 & #8, it would always add secondary air to burn off CO and capture that heat. Plus, to prevent possible operator error, they might have been added to prevent any after-refueling "boom" ? :o

And, considering that those smaller secondary holes have a beaded edge I doubt someone added them after it left the factory. So then, are there any differences in casting dates that would show it was an improvment made on later 111's ?

Glenwood did sometimes make changes during a model's years of production.

My two 118 Modern Oaks loading doors are quite different in several ways, yet they both have the same casting numbers and dates on those parts, so it's not like those parts came from a different model.

Paul

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 12:05 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 11:13 am
I can see that, like the secondary air feed holes on the GW #6 & #8, it would always add secondary air to burn off CO and capture that heat.
Paul

This makes sense. It could be a design modification. It would act just like the holes on the lower part of the G6 and G8 loading doors, always feeding some secondary air in. It would be interesting to pry into the minds of these designers. Maybe they thought it worked so well for the G6 style stove that they decided to incorporate it into the Our Glenwood line. I'm curious of manufacture dates on some of these G111 stoves in relation to the slider modifications, if that is indeed what they are. Hopefully we get some feed back. Thanks

Tom

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”