draft question for the experts

bambooboy
Baseburners & Antiques: imperial ringgold
Other Heating: woodstock soapstone,comfort,fisher,federal,fairy oak

Post by bambooboy » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 7:12 pm

got baseburner up& running this week,no problems for 3 days.day 4 could not recover in morning.dumped coal,started over little wood,charcoal slowly adding nut. has taken most of the day to get back in business.this is my third year with the same problems.ash clearing is a real problem in morning without fire going out.now the draft question,installed stove in place of wood burner of 35 years with 8"stainless chimney.baseburner is 6" i transitioned from 6 to 8.manometer is installed in 6" below manual damper.cold here today & mano reads 0,have inpipe fan below damper,when turned on i get.02 draft reading.is my draft problem 6"to8"or down bottom of hill surrounded with trees. thanks tom

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 7:27 pm

Can't be sure T. I've gone from bigger stove outlet pipe to smaller pipe--8" to 6" without any problems. To me goin from 6" to 8" might have enough effect to really screw things up???????? Be worth checkin out. How high is your chimney--well over any roof peaks, etc???

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 7:50 pm

Hi Bambooboy, ( I'm no expert by any means but I do have some experience in this area) your draft is the problem but its unlikely the 6" to 8" is causing it ( I have a 6" pipe into a 8" flue with a very good draft) check all the pipe connections, and If you have a clean out door on your chimney make sure its sealed. Like FF mentioned please tell us about your set up( i,e how tall is your chimney, is it an exterior or interior chimney, is the pipe in good shape?) is the stove sealed without any air leaks on the exhaust side of things? coal needs a certain amount of draft to operate, wood burning creates more draft then coal so keep this in mind. Don't burn the stove until you fix the problem.
I had a similar problem but I realigned my chimney with 8" round liners and insulation, plus I added 4' to the top of the chimney which took care of my problem, Please keep us posted

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 10:00 pm

In addition to the questions already asked, is that stainless chimney triple wall, or double wall insulated, or a liner?

Is the shake down problem because there is very little burning coal left?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 10:26 pm

I doubt going from 6 to 8 inch is the problem. Mine has a smaller firebox than your stove. It goes from 6 pipe to an 8-1/2 inch square, unlined brick chimney flue - big enough to run two stoves, which it did in the early 1900's. It draws very well.

Can you look up in the chimney and make sure it is blocked, or restricted in any way ?

If the chimney is clear it might be how you get the stove going.

Are you opening the dampers and letting the fire build up and warm the chimney for a few minutes before shaking ashes ?

I never shake ashes first thing in the morning. I open the MPD and the primary dampers fully to build up a "heat bank" in the chimney so that I have a good strong draft going. After a couple of minutes of the fire going strong and getting the chimney hot enough for a good strong drafting, then I make use of that heat buildup and add a layer of fresh coal. When the coal is burning well only then do I clean out the over night build up of ash. Then when I see embers dropping into the ash pan I add the final layers of coal to refill the firebed.

If I clean ash first it just wastes what little heat the firebed is putting out after being dampered down overnight and that stalls the fire, taking much longer to recover.

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”