Glenwood #6 magazine - revisited.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Nov. 02, 2017 1:45 pm

Some of you may remember the project to get recast magazines for the Glenwood #6 & #8 base heaters and the 116 & 118 Modern Oaks, a while back. Back then, I guesstimated that the recast mag in a #6, with a firepot with brick lining, would hold a total of about 70 pounds of nut coal,.......

The set of original firebricks in my #6 back then were thick with clinker scale, so I never bothered to measure because I was also making a mold to recast original size bricks. Now that my #6 does have new bricks, and since I'm getting close to hooking the stove up, I decided to check how much nut coal it would actually hold.

Well I was wrong about that 70 pounds,..... ....... it holds 78 pounds. :D

Coal was first weighted in 1-1/2 pound, 2 gallon buckets, with a surprisingly accurate antique kitchen scale that can be zeroed out for the bucket weight.

Pix show it fills the firepot up to where the gas ring would be, which I have out for now. Magazine was filled to max that still allowed the round swing cover to fully close. That added up to 76.5 pounds. Next, I gave the grates a shake to help it all settle and I was able to get another 1-1/2 pounds in the top of the mag and still close the round swing cover.

So, that's 78 pounds totally filled.

For comparison, without the magazine in the stove the firepot holds a measured 50 pounds of nut. So, that means at least a 50% increase in coal capacity and possibly the same for burn times.

Thought some of you'd like to know. ;)

Paul

Attachments

DSCN4770.JPG
.JPG | 364.1KB | DSCN4770.JPG
DSCN4769.JPG
.JPG | 346.1KB | DSCN4769.JPG

Canaan coal man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Efm 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: A little cubby coal stove in the basement
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove And Nut

Post by Canaan coal man » Thu. Nov. 02, 2017 2:37 pm

Paul Would you be able to send us the details on how she runs with or with out a mag? Once you finally get here hooked up of course. I have heard mixed reviews for the mag on a G6. Are you gonna have that G6 running for this year?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Nov. 02, 2017 2:40 pm

Interesting.
With all those new magazines made I don't remember any reviews.

Looking forward to yours when you light up.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Nov. 02, 2017 3:14 pm

Canaan coal man wrote:
Thu. Nov. 02, 2017 2:37 pm
Paul Would you be able to send us the details on how she runs with or with out a mag? Once you finally get here hooked up of course. I have heard mixed reviews for the mag on a G6. Are you gonna have that G6 running for this year?

Yes, certainly.

My plan is to start out without the mag and run it for awhile to get some baseline data as I see how this stove and tall, central brick chimney work together. Then put the mag in later and see what changes it makes.

While the mag should make tending and recovery go quicker, there's still the time limiting factor of dealing with when it needs shaking and dumping ashes. I really want to see how long it can go without having to do any tending of ash or coal.

Then start back on the Modern Oak 118 that I bought long before the #6. It has a back pipe and I have a mag for both 118's too. Once I finish one I'd like to swap it with the #6 to see how a large firepot back-pipe oak compares to the #6. Then maybe put the 118 up for sale.

Paul
Last edited by Sunny Boy on Thu. Nov. 02, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Nov. 02, 2017 3:19 pm

franco b wrote:
Thu. Nov. 02, 2017 2:40 pm
Interesting.
With all those new magazines made I don't remember any reviews.

Looking forward to yours when you light up.
DLJ was the only one I remember. And he reported that it didn't add as much coal for him because his firepot is lined much higher so he can run a deeper firebed. To have the mag feed the firepot, it lowered the way he has his firebed.

Paul

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Nov. 02, 2017 3:28 pm

another member and i are looking for a loaner G#6 mag to get 4 recasts done from if anyone feels so charitable.

thanks,
steve

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Nov. 02, 2017 4:01 pm

KingCoal wrote:
Thu. Nov. 02, 2017 3:28 pm
another member and i are looking for a loaner G#6 mag to get 4 recasts done from if anyone feels so charitable.

thanks,
steve
Steve.

If the loaner is one of the recasts from that project - like mine are, then the ones you get back will be recasts of recasts which means they will be another 10% smaller than the recasts - which are already 10% smaller than the original that was the pattern.

At a minimum, they'd need to have spacers added sandwiched in the side seams to expand the mag's diameter enough so that it doesn't fall through the top hole they must hang from.

And they'd likely need to be lengthened somehow so that there's no risk of the firepot being overfilled up onto the sheet metal barrel, or up against the gas ring if so equipped. Would take doing Bondo work to pattern mag to lengthen the bottom edge 3/8-1/2 inch more.

Being a recast, mine is now short enough that it's close to doing that. You can see that in the first picture. The sloping top of the firebricks is all that's preventing it.

Paul

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Nov. 02, 2017 4:38 pm

yes an original would be preferable.

thanks,
steve

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Nov. 02, 2017 6:17 pm

If my memory serves me right (Which is pretty rare lately :D ).............. Some of our members purchased more than one magazine, possibly for a spare ?

They may be willing to part with one or loan it out to be built up and sent out as a pattern.

I have access to a CMM (Coordinate measurement machine) and can measure up an original and transfer it to a cad file.

An oversize casting pattern can then be created on a 3D printer to allow for casting shrinkage.

If any of our members can calculate the actual shrinkage in all directions the pattern could also be created from the existing copies.

Paulie

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Thu. Nov. 02, 2017 7:08 pm

Pauliewog wrote:
Thu. Nov. 02, 2017 6:17 pm
If my memory serves me right (Which is pretty rare lately :D ).............. Some of our members purchased more than one magazine, possibly for a spare ?

They may be willing to part with one or loan it out to be built up and sent out as a pattern.

I have access to a CMM (Coordinate measurement machine) and can measure up an original and transfer it to a cad file.

An oversize casting pattern can then be created on a 3D printer to allow for casting shrinkage.

If any of our members can calculate the actual shrinkage in all directions the pattern could also be created from the existing copies.

Paulie
Did you build a cad file on your radiant stove while it was apart? I would have :lol:

And, if I dropped off a complete disassembled stove could you build a digital file for me, please :lol:

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Nov. 02, 2017 7:54 pm

you have no idea what you may be getting into my friend.

having just spent last week end with Paul in Pittston and seeing the mad mad mad stuff he's done at the plant he's been "retiring" in, i had good reason to ask him if he had ever run into a project that he said " heck no !! i don't want any part of it "

took less than a second to hear, " nope, and the crazier the better "

good luck,

steve

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Nov. 02, 2017 8:52 pm

Pauliewog wrote:
Thu. Nov. 02, 2017 6:17 pm

Paulie
Yes, ... and yes. Check with Steve on the latest development,... it might require your skills. :D

Paul

Pauliewog
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.

Post by Pauliewog » Fri. Nov. 03, 2017 2:58 pm

scalabro wrote:
Thu. Nov. 02, 2017 7:08 pm

Did you build a cad file on your radiant stove while it was apart? I would have :lol:

And, if I dropped off a complete disassembled stove could you build a digital file for me, please :lol:
Darn ! ............ I knew there was something I forgot to do while that and another 10 stoves in parts, were scattered across the basement floor ! :baby:

No problem at all creating a digital file on yours. If possible drop it off on the back porch late at night, ring the doorbell and run.

If the lights are on downstairs and the wife's white Ford Focus is in the driveway, under no circumstances let her see you unloading stove parts........ Text me and I'll sneak out and meet you down the street. :lol:

Paulie

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Fri. Nov. 03, 2017 3:54 pm

KingCoal wrote:
Thu. Nov. 02, 2017 7:54 pm
you have no idea what you may be getting into my friend.

having just spent last week end with Paul in Pittston and seeing the mad mad mad stuff he's done at the plant he's been "retiring" in, i had good reason to ask him if he had ever run into a project that he said " heck no !! i don't want any part of it "

took less than a second to hear, " nope, and the crazier the better "

good luck,

steve
As you well know Steve........ I'm always up for a new challenge :lol:

Like Carol said........... " He just needs to live another 240 years to build every project that he dreams up" :D

This being retired is tough on me ........... I had more free time when I was working 80 hours a week !

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Nov. 03, 2017 4:13 pm

Hey guys,.....

William said your on, "Coal easy street"...... not on, "Coal speak-easy street". :lol:

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”