Base heater rebuild question

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 8:27 pm

I am ready to start the rebuild of my Home Sparkle 12 base heater and this week end I'll line the fire pot and let is slow dry in the sun.
My stove is a suspended pot type base heater similar to Crawfords, some Glenwoods, and others. My stove is held together with threaded rods and nuts. the top and bottom plates of the base hold the 4 sides in place and the 30" barrel is also held in place with threaded rods as well.
I am thinking of having the 4 threaded rods that hold the base together extend an inch or more under the stove, (out of sight ), and using a washer, tension spring, washer, then 2 nuts.
I am thinking of doing this to the 2, 3 ft rods that hold the barrel between the top and base as well. This would allow for expansion or contraction of some new cast parts keeping a constant restraint on the entire stove.
Has anyone tried this? Is there a problem with this idea? Lets hear it! :yes: , :no1:

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 8:45 pm

An interesting idea Mike!

U mean like V8 engine valve springs?

You'd have to get one of our forum rocket scientists to calculate the force applied to the bolts under operational conditions without the spring setup to give you a starting point...

I could see how if properly done it would tend to minimize cracks and keep the stove parts clamped under an optimal load over a wide temp range.
Last edited by scalabro on Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 8:50 pm

If the rods can get about as hot as the parts they are holding together, they will expand and contract at the same rate, no springs need. Steel and cast iron are very close to the same rate of heat expansion.

So, if the rods are going back in the same place they were before, it's very likely that their expansion was taken into consideration and no change of design is needed.

And, if your thinking of putting the springs where they can get very hot, that heat can "draw" the temper out of them over time and weaken them.
Paul

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 9:00 pm

scalabro wrote:
Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 8:45 pm
An interesting idea Mike!

U mean like V8 engine valve springs?

You'd have to get one of our forum rocket scientists to calculate the force applied to the bolts under operational conditions without the spring setup to give you a starting point...

I could see how if properly done it would tend to minimize cracks and keep the stove parts clamped under an optimal load over a wide temp range.
Yup, you got my drift Scott. My thinking on this evolved from the many decades of difference between the old cast and new ones as well as the rods themselves.
Sunny Boy wrote:
Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 8:50 pm
If the rods can get about as hot as the parts they are holding together, they will expand and contract at the same rate, no springs need. Steel and cast iron are very close to the same rate of heat expansion.

So, if the rods are going back in the same place they were before, it's very likely that their expansion was taken into consideration and no change of design is needed.

And, if your thinking of putting the springs where they can get very hot, that heat can "draw" the temper out of them over time and weaken them.
Paul
My thought is the 4 corner rods to have the tension set up on the bottom of the stove facing the floor...a cool-er location. I am still debating on the 2 longer rods having the set up on the top or bottom. location, location, location hahaha!

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 9:05 pm

Wouldn't the stove cement hold everything pretty tight anyway? I didn't tighten the bolts on my G109 all that much, just snugged them up.

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 9:11 pm

tcalo wrote:
Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 9:05 pm
Wouldn't the stove cement hold everything pretty tight anyway? I didn't tighten the bolts on my G109 all that much, just snugged them up.
Good point Tom but I'm sailing in unchartered waters. My virgin bb rebuild.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 9:52 pm

I bet heat wont matter on the bottom, at least not enough to affect the springs. My only example would be how much heat a magnet takes before it falls off of my stove, almost red hot. I would think a "good" spring would be similar to a magnet.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 10:37 pm

warminmn wrote:
Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 9:52 pm
I bet heat wont matter on the bottom, at least not enough to affect the springs. My only example would be how much heat a magnet takes before it falls off of my stove, almost red hot. I would think a "good" spring would be similar to a magnet.

The temp can get drawn out of springs at much lower temps than before they reach red hot. Depending on the alloy used to make the springs heat can start weakening them in as low as getting into the 400F range.

Mike,
In a post about rotary damper springs, DLJ, who is a metallurgist, mentioned a steel spring alloy that is better at holding temper at stove operating temperatures. You might want to pm him and ask about that.

Paul

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 10:42 pm

I could get Mike 6 exhaust valve springs from an R2800 hahahahahahahahaha!

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 10:58 pm

scalabro wrote:
Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 10:42 pm
I could get Mike 6 exhaust valve springs from an R2800 hahahahahahahahaha!
Both air cooled,.... a P-47 base heater. :lol:

Paul

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Oct. 19, 2017 6:48 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 10:37 pm
warminmn wrote:
Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 9:52 pm

The temp can get drawn out of springs at much lower temps than before they reach red hot. Depending on the alloy used to make the springs heat can start weakening them in as low as getting into the 400F range.

Mike,
In a post about rotary damper springs, DLJ, who is a metallurgist, mentioned a steel spring alloy that is better at holding temper at stove operating temperatures. You might want to pm him and ask about that.

Paul
Notice I used the term "good" , not "junk" or "chinese made" spring. :)

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Oct. 19, 2017 8:13 am

I was always REAL impressed with the original design of these BB's & always get a good laugh out of all the "IMPROVEMENTS" our modern day geniuses come up with.(not pickin on ya Lee) .>) I believe if a stove is put together PROPERLY--they will work for a LONG time the way they are/were meant to. Just sayin. MA, where the hell is my butter cake??? LOL

wilsons woodstoves
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood, Crawford, Magee, Herald, Others

Post by wilsons woodstoves » Thu. Oct. 19, 2017 8:24 am

oooooooooooooooo butter cake sounds good....

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Oct. 19, 2017 9:11 am

I lean toward what Paul said about equal expansion of the tie rods. I would be more concerned with corrosion of the rods and perhaps use stainless if available.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Oct. 19, 2017 9:36 am

warminmn wrote:
Thu. Oct. 19, 2017 6:48 am
Sunny Boy wrote:
Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 10:37 pm

Mike,

Paul
Notice I used the term "good" , not "junk" or "chinese made" spring. :)
Even a, "good" spring can heat-weaken if it's not made from a spring steel alloy that is designed to be used in high heat applications. Not all of even the "best" springs are designed for that. ;)

Dave (DLJ), can explain it better.

However, Scott's offer of R2800 valve springs at least cover the, "wow, that's cool" factor. :D

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”