Base heater rebuild question

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sat. Oct. 21, 2017 10:42 am

Seriously my friend, I'm going with Sunny Boy on this one .... " If it's not broke ...Don't fix it ".

My opinion is that most of the cracks I see on these stoves were caused by rough handling, or as Emery calls it " rust jacking rather than from the expansion and contraction associated with their normal operation .

Do you have cracks in the castings that you feel may have been caused by thermal expansion?

It amazes me how thin they were able to cast some of the larger parts such as the Glenwood 6 base pans. My guess is due to the number of stoves they produced, there was a substantial savings in materials gained by reducing the wall thickness in these pans.

Paulie

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sat. Oct. 21, 2017 7:50 pm

Pauliewog wrote:
Sat. Oct. 21, 2017 10:42 am
Seriously my friend, I'm going with Sunny Boy on this one .... " If it's not broke ...Don't fix it ".

My opinion is that most of the cracks I see on these stoves were caused by rough handling, or as Emery calls it " rust jacking rather than from the expansion and contraction associated with their normal operation .

Do you have cracks in the castings that you feel may have been caused by thermal expansion?

It amazes me how thin they were able to cast some of the larger parts such as the Glenwood 6 base pans. My guess is due to the number of stoves they produced, there was a substantial savings in materials gained by reducing the wall thickness in these pans.

Paulie
Hey I'm the first to say if it ain't broken etc...and the issue I'm talkin' about is that is was broken. when did it happen? 1920, 1930, 1940,...was it a chunk of locust gettin' thrown in an empty stove? I have no idea, just that many of us find these old gems with busted grates and fire pot supports. One of our friends has a big Clarion 115 with cracked top casting, grate support.
download/file.php?id=82305&mode=view
This issue is all too common.
My stove was missing 1 of the 3 grate supports altogether and the previous owner drilled a 3/8" hole through the edge of the grate and 1 of the remaining supports and bolted the grate in place. Of course the issue was never mentioned... :roll2:
I'm thinking there is a flaw, yup I said it, with these stoves. Does the top plate sit nice and tight with it's 4 corners bolted snug as the center grate support bellow up and down within a certain range based on operating temp? Does running in base heating mode equalize the top and bottom of the grate support so all is well compared to direct draft where the difference in top grate temp and under grate temp is vast? Part of me says yes and part of me says that many of past owners thought gramps left them a wood stove in the basement and who knows what happened. Considering I was negative 60 yrs old at the time I am only left to cross my fingers, innovate, and get you fine folks thinking! :D

Migel

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sat. Oct. 21, 2017 9:04 pm

My cracks showed them selves while I was loosening fire pot bolts Sounded like I was on the lake ice fishing.
Base plate cracks I was aware of.

From what I see, the top plate holds the 4 outside walls in place. While suspended fire pot base holds the
3 ash pan walls and the diverter plate for back pipe in place.

Putting the blame on operator error. Over fired on wood and ramming poker the whole way through
the back of barrel.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”