Troubles With Kitchen Coal Stove Draft

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 9:57 am

windyhill4.2 wrote:
Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 6:26 am
Thanks Paulie, Looks like SunnyBoy will have some more competition in the Cookin with coal thread.

I could use some, Dave. ;) The rest of you guys are slacking off on using stoves for cooking, too ! :lol:

Paul

coalstovelady

Post by coalstovelady » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 11:35 am

I am so happy. I woke up around 6 a.m. and everything was just fine. I added some coal and went back to bed. When I was up for the day around 8 a.m. the temperature outside was low 30's although I believe the temperatures dropped much lower outside during the night. My steam heat did turn on as my radiators were warm but not "hissing". My thermostats first and second floors maintained 72 degrees. Unless you have experienced a coal stove you would have no idea of the pleasure that it brings. My home is "my home" again. I have been blessed to live here. I have never once complained about shoveling coal or carrying ashes. It has been a part of my life owning an historic home and everything is much different from modern day. A ladder is also part of my furnishings placed in an obscure area but I move it around as needed even just to remove and wash curtains as my ceilings are 10 foot. Let me tell you I am warm like toast. It's a kind of heat unlike any other. I'm smiling because my coal stove is back to normal. I missed it so much these past couple of years but Paulie figured everything out and he is wonderful. He is the expert there is no doubt about it. Thank you everybody - especially Paulie. xoxo He took a lot of photos which I'm certain he will share with everyone.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 12:29 pm

This has been a wonderful read as I have followed along the last couple weeks. Good job Paulie, and CSL Im very happy for you. Thats a beautiful stove.

SawDustJack
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Newcastle/Ironhouse;Warm Morning 617a
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut

Post by SawDustJack » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 1:48 pm

Wow! I have been following this thread and what a great read. So much help from so many people! The lengths many of you go to help out is amazing! Glad you are up and running CSL! Enjoy your heat!

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 1:58 pm

...thank you CSL for reminding me why I hang with this band of crazy coal folks! Bravo Paulie, bravo! :clap: :clap:

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 4:05 pm

Awesome job Paulie you handled it like a boss! I'm thrilled that this fine lady can enjoy her coal stove again. Kudos to both of you :D

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 5:20 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:
Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 6:26 am
Thanks Paulie, Looks like SunnyBoy will have some more competition in the Cookin with coal thread.
Well David as they say ......
"That's what we train for "
And my offer still stands on your chimney . :yes:

Paulie

Pauliewog
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.

Post by Pauliewog » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 5:38 pm

wilsons woodstoves wrote:
Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 9:21 am
good job paulie, you make this whole thing worth wile. that pic. with the ash pitt area lit up was great......
I should have taken a few more pictures of the castings on that factory installed ash dump. That was the first one I've seen.

Skip, was that an option offered by other manufacturers?

Paulie

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 5:50 pm

Pauliewog wrote:
Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 5:20 pm
Well David as they say ......
"That's what we train for "
And my offer still stands on your chimney . :yes:

Paulie
I need to find a cook b4 i start thinking about a coal range again.

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 5:52 pm

Lightning wrote:
Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 4:05 pm
Awesome job Paulie you handled it like a boss! I'm thrilled that this fine lady can enjoy her coal stove again. Kudos to both of you :D
I actually thought of you yesterday when I was in the basement checking out the bottom ash dump. :D

Yep, I said to myself now if Lee designed this setup there would definitely be a few pulleys, shakers, cameras and sensors down here so there was no need at all to come downstairs to make sure the ash flowed smooth. :lol:

Paulie

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 6:09 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:
Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 5:50 pm
I need to find a cook b4 i start thinking about a coal range again.
You will my friend, time and only time, slowly heals the pain.

Someday, hopefully we all will understand why we have to endure the many trials and tribulations life throws at us.

But until then the best we can do is look back and remember all the good times. Keep yourself busy and surround yourself with friends....... That's the best we can do.

Paulie

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 6:21 pm

warminmn wrote:
Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 12:29 pm
This has been a wonderful read as I have followed along the last couple weeks. Good job Paulie, and CSL Im very happy for you. Thats a beautiful stove.
Pictures do not do the stove justice. This summer I would like to go back with the buffer, shine up the nickel, give it a coat of stove polish and make a permanent repair to the front liner plate and refractory. I patched it with some furnace cement, and started the fire an hour later.

Paulie

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 6:25 pm

SawDustJack wrote:
Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 1:48 pm
Wow! I have been following this thread and what a great read. So much help from so many people! The lengths many of you go to help out is amazing! Glad you are up and running CSL! Enjoy your heat!
There are countless similar stories within the Coal Pail Family ........... This is just one of them. :lol:

Paulie

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 6:31 pm

michaelanthony wrote:
Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 1:58 pm
...thank you CSL for reminding me why I hang with this band of crazy coal folks! Bravo Paulie, bravo! :clap: :clap:
We is Crazy Mikey ? :lol:
Addicted is more like it ! :lol:
The story behind securing your Sparkle is another fine example of members helping members!

Paulie

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 6:42 pm

scalabro wrote:
Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 8:01 am
Great job Paulie!

Now, CSL, you must post lots of cooking pictures and recipes on the “Cooking With Coal” thread!
The thermometer on the oven door is about 250* off and needs a good cleaning and calibration.

While it was warming up, It was showing a little over 200* f. I decided to open the door to take a peek at the thermometer on the shelf inside and found it apoaching 475* f

Hmmmmmm the turkey might have caught fire :lol:

Paulie

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”