Troubles With Kitchen Coal Stove Draft

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Dec. 10, 2017 8:19 pm

CSL,
Like triplets, those three dampers are closely related, but each has it's own specialness that contributes to making the stove use that much better.

1. The primary air damper controls the intake air that creates the amount of fire (heat volume, or BTU's).

2. The check damper controls the force that is pushing air into the stove to feed the fire (draft pressure).

3. The MPD acts like a brake to slow down the speed of the hot gases through the stove and pipe (slower exhaust for more heat transfer).

Depending on outside air temps and heat needs indoors, some combination of those three dampers is why the stove manufacture included them in the design.

Remember that, back then they were striving for efficiency - getting the most heat possible from each pound of coal. Everyday life in the early 1900's was still a lot of hard work. Anything that could save time, labor, and money was a major selling point for stove manufactures.

Paul

coalstovelady

Post by coalstovelady » Mon. Dec. 11, 2017 9:46 am

On my computer I cleaned out things and lost my password. I wasn't able to log in. I just got back in - whew! I would hate to lose contact with all you great people. I have appointments this morning but I hope to talk again with you soon. xoxo

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Dec. 11, 2017 10:08 am

You can google "Gorton steam valve" for much information.
Here is a link to a plumbing supply selling the C size which I recommend.

https://www.plumbingsupplynow.com/heating/air-val ... ioQAvD_BwE

The C and D are the fast venting ones. Just install one on the slowest to heat radiator to see a big difference. 50 years ago, as a licensed oil burner installer, I had much experience installing these on problem heating systems.

Redbopeep
Baseburners & Antiques: Antique Shipmate 134 Marine coal and wood
Coal Size/Type: nut size

Post by Redbopeep » Mon. Dec. 11, 2017 1:09 pm

Wow, I'd be afraid if the lids were getting red. That is hugely hot. Seems like you might have overdone that startup phase a bit? When I burn wood in my stove, I can't leave the dampers wide open or it will burn too fast and not even leave red charcoals behind--it's like a flash burn even when hardwood. So I do wood fires differently than starting coal.

coalstovelady

Post by coalstovelady » Mon. Dec. 11, 2017 2:58 pm

Hello. Having trouble logging in. I did get a temporary password but need to change it. The note tells me to contact the board administrator. How do I do that?

coalstovelady

Post by coalstovelady » Mon. Dec. 11, 2017 3:03 pm

Franco, thank you very much for the information on the valve. I will look into that as soon as I get caught up with other pressing matters. I don't know how to change my password.

Redbopeep, you might be reading some rather old posts. I haven't seen red lids for many years and those times were only momentarily. I watch my stove very closely when I am stoking it up and I then reverse the drafts and it cools down.

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 12:18 pm

coalstovelady wrote:
Mon. Dec. 11, 2017 2:58 pm
Hello. Having trouble logging in. I did get a temporary password but need to change it. The note tells me to contact the board administrator. How do I do that?
If you click on "quick links" at top of page, and then "The Team", you will be able to click on "Richard S", scroll down a little to " Send PM"

coalstovelady

Post by coalstovelady » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 12:46 pm

Hello, I figured out the new log in process. All is well. Thank you.

coalstovelady

Post by coalstovelady » Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 10:38 am

Hello and Merry Christmas. I'm still having trouble logging in. I hope you all can see this post. I clicked on an old post that I saved and I'm continuing on. I can't find my password and I'll need to get that corrected after the holidays. It's Christmas Eve (day) and our family always ate seafood and fish so I'll be having a wonderful lobster tail and shrimp dinner this evening. I hope all my new blog friends will have a wonderful holiday too. My sincerest thank you goes out to all of you for your help and in particular, Paulie, who took time out to come to my home and service my kitchen coal stove. It is working beautifully. I love my stove. Perhaps to some that might sound silly loving something inanimate but to me it is one of the most special things that has been a part of my life going on 41 years. On New Year's Eve each year that I live here in my historic home, I place a candle on the stove around 6 p.m., say a little prayer, and it burns through to the New Year. I'm a little superstitious. It's a must that I do that to bring the spirit around. I'm not one to go out on New Year's Eve - never was. I like to be home. My dogs would lie around the stove and watch the candle burn. It's funny they seem to know. Everyone who knows me has realized the love I have for my home and pets. So please take some of my love and faith with you this season and know how much I have appreciated your help. It's amazing how the stove throws heat throughout my large home. It's been keeping the thermostat down on the gas furnace for the most part although we did have some 14 degree nights. I hope Santa brings you all something special. That just reminded me - while I was growing up my parents would tell me if I was not a good girl Santa would bring me a bag of coal. Honestly, that would be the best gift ever. Ho Ho Ho. Love to all of you and thank you.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 10:44 am

Thank you coalstovelady and a very Merry Christmas to you. I too love what gives my family warmth :D

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 11:32 am

Merry Christmas to you, and thank you, I will gladly take some love and faith with me this season and pass it on. So wonderful that your stove has come to life and is burning coal again. Happy New year too!

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 11:42 am

Thanks for your beautiful post and your perception of what can only be perceived by the spirit.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Dec. 26, 2017 12:01 pm

A coal stove odyssey with a warm, happy ending to make Christmas time all the merrier. Glad to know it's back to as it should be ! ;)

Paul

coalstovelady

Post by coalstovelady » Tue. Dec. 26, 2017 12:50 pm

I had a nice Christmas, ate a lot of good food, but most importantly my stove was burning beautifully. I couldn't ask for anything more. I made a dish that my mother used to make during the Christmas season which came from her mother who came from Italy. It is stuffed calamari. It takes time to stuff the "tubes". The recipe is quite easy with grated bread crumbs (I make my own), lots of garlic chopped up (I use my Nutra Bullet to chop up the garlic - something my mother had to do by hand in those days), some olive oil, black pepper to taste and couple of raw eggs. Mix it all up in a bowl. The texture should crumble in your hands. Getting the crumb mixture into the tubes is tedious but worth the time. Then run toothpicks at the ends to hold each tube together so the stuffing doesn't fall out and heat them in a pan slowly (don't burn) until they change color from white to off white. Then I make a red sauce and add them to the sauce like you would meatballs. Simmer for several hours. Boil up some pasta, al dente of course, and it's delicious. I hope everyone will have a Happy New Year! Thanks for your friendship.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Tue. Dec. 26, 2017 1:12 pm

Nice ! Merry Christmas,CSL ! Hope You've gotten that Login Problem resolved ! Thanx for the Down Home Updates,as We Love 'Em !

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”