Troubles With Kitchen Coal Stove Draft

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Tue. Nov. 21, 2017 1:43 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Tue. Nov. 21, 2017 12:48 am
Thanks Paulie. CSL has already posted pix of her spare grate in this thread, so I'm aware of what they are.

BTW those are not dock ash grates in CSL's range. While they can look similar, dock ash are two sided and meant to be rotated in use.

Randy's (Photog2000) beautiful Clarian range has dock ash grates. They've been discussed in the Cookin' With Coal thread.

Here's some pix of dock ash grates. They are number fire in the GW grate listing. Plus a copy of the Clarion instruction sheet on how to rotate them.

Paul
Thanks Paul ! I stand corrected. It seems I learn something new every day here. :D And they claim you can't teach an old dog new tricks :lol:

I was under the impression dockash style grates were what I have in the Hero Dockash, and Honor Dockash stoves both manufactured by the Scranton Stove Works, Scranton,Pa.

I wonder if the Dockash style range grates were developed and patented by them also.

Paulie

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Nov. 21, 2017 8:46 am

Paulie,
I've wondered if there is any connection, too. I've tried doing a search online for "dock ash" and not found anything that connects the Dock Ash stove company to the grate design of the same name.

As you can see, other stove companies offered that style grate and used that name. And it was not like many other instances we've seen of the practice back then of stove makers copying something of a competitor's and putting their own name on it. So, that makes me wonder if the Dock Ash stove company owned the rights to that design. Maybe someone who knows how can find out if there was a patent and who held title to it ?

BTW, that Clarion instruction sheet is the first piece I've ever seen that explains how and why to daily rotate grates designed for that.

Good thing for CSL that they are not dock ash grates. I think that the type grates like in CSL's range (and the Acorn range Melissa grew up with) haven't warped because of those "fingers" sticking down into the incoming air stream help draw excessive heat away from the top section of the grate bars that is in contact with the firebed. The dock ash grates, which are very similar except for those fingers, are more likely to warp after so many years of use.

Paul

coalstovelady

Post by coalstovelady » Tue. Nov. 21, 2017 9:08 am

Paulie, I loved my Kewanee hand fired furnace. It won't be chopped up while I am alive. It will remain here as a monument. If time had permitted and you removed the shroud, you would have even been more impressed. It's a beautiful machine and it never went out 24/7, 365 days a year, for my domestic hot water too. (I was so good at it) I even did all the cleaning of the tubes myself because in today's world it seems most plumbers just want to replace with new. In the wintertime, it produced so much heat - the colder outside, the warmer the inside of my home became - my company would literally either go into my pantry and shut the door as there is no radiator in there - OR - they would go outside on my porch to cool off. LOL! True! It only cost me for the coal to operate and my minor efforts to add a couple of shovels of coal in the a.m. and p.m. In the summer I only needed to add a shovel or two every couple of days as I kept the door to the burning area slightly open. I had it down pat! I never minded shoveling and carrying out the ashes once a week - in the wintertime there would be 7 bushel measures of ash that I would shovel and carry out. It kept me in very good shape. I kept the dust down by holding a shop vac near each shovel of ash and that sucked up the dust. My electric bills were less, my water was always hot, and my home was warm as toast. I have a steam heat system with radiators as you were able to observe. That's another thing. There is nothing as warm as steam heat regardless of the fuel that makes the steam. I had it all for many years and so grateful. There is nothing here in my home that I don't love. Paulie, thank you so very very much for getting my kitchen coal stove burning again. I've been calling all my friends and telling them about you. You must provide me with the exact location of your stove shop up in Dallas. Everyone - have a wonderful Thanksgiving! xoxo

coalstovelady

Post by coalstovelady » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 1:42 pm

Hello and thanksgiving wishes to my friends in the Coal Blog! Paulie, you have made me so happy. I want to say thank you again and again. I am having dinner at a friend's house so I didn't do the turkey but that will happen another time. I had to make something on my kitchen coal stove today for good luck and appreciation to the spirits who led me to this group. My beloved mother taught me many things. She had to be one of the best cooks too. So I made meatballs and sauce today because of this special day in America as we celebrate Thanksgiving Day! I hope all the good spirits will bless everyone on this blog for being so kind to me and as we say grace at the table today I will mention all of you. xoxo I'll attach some photos separately. I don't want to lose this note.

coalstovelady

Post by coalstovelady » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 1:51 pm

Here are the photos of my sauce and meatballs - and the coal is burning just great! Just wanted you all to see. (smiling ear to ear) Also my home is warm and toasty!!

Attachments

HPIM3252.JPG

sauce & meatballs on kitchen coal stove

.JPG | 51.9KB | HPIM3252.JPG
HPIM3253.JPG

ditto

.JPG | 70.5KB | HPIM3253.JPG
HPIM3254.JPG

coal burning in fire box - perfect!

.JPG | 58.9KB | HPIM3254.JPG
HPIM3255.JPG

ditto

.JPG | 62.3KB | HPIM3255.JPG

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 2:03 pm

That is AWESOME! Thanks for sticking around and sharing. It's good medicine for us coal addicts lol. Happy Thanksgiving ;)

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Glad to see your able to enjoy the range again. It's hard to put into words that it does add something special to cooking that has to be experienced to appreciate it.

And I can understand how you must have felt these past few years. We look forward to cooler weather just so that we can fire up our range again. We'd sure miss not being able to use it.

Paul

coalstovelady

Post by coalstovelady » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 8:16 pm

Paul, since you use your stove as I do mine in the cooler weather, we can relate. It makes the house a home! It's actually a pleasure not a chore to cook on it. Check out on the internet "Intellectual Properties Network" if you want to research Patents.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 9:50 pm

So Good to see You,CSL ! Happy Thanksgiving ! Good to see that Pot 'O Sauce on that Stove !

Happy Thanksgiving,and by all means,keep telling these CSL Stories !

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 10:29 pm

Awwww....... Now that's what I was waiting to see ! :D

Nothing brings back fond memories more than a big pot of tomato sauce simmering for hours on the coal range. :yes:

Happy Thanksgiving CSL !!!

Paulie

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Fri. Nov. 24, 2017 10:33 am

Beautiful!

coalstovelady

Post by coalstovelady » Fri. Nov. 24, 2017 5:49 pm

The sauce and meatballs with rigatoni were wonderful. Everything always tastes better when cooked on the kitchen coal stove. Paulie, I got the slide closed. Yay! I wiggled the handle back and forth and kept using the shop vac. There might have been a particle stuck behind the slide. Now I learned something new. I prefer clearing the jam in the slide from above. Previously I would work at it from below removing the chute and then struggling to get all the pipes back together. It was easier when I had the Kewanee as I was able to lie on top of the machine and push the pipes back in place. The Kewanee had an insulated shroud. Now with the gas furnace I would need to be a contortionist with one leg on a ladder and the other leg on a steam pipe balancing and reaching. I just can't do that anymore. I don't mind letting the kitchen coal stove go out and rebuild a new fire if I must. The draft is working beautifully. I'm learning different ways to do things now. I just can't tell you all how happy I am having my stove working again.

coalstovelady

Post by coalstovelady » Thu. Nov. 30, 2017 9:15 am

Hello my friends: I'll bet you have never seen such perfect eggs (see attached photos) unless you have a kitchen coal stove! I always eat nutritiously. Instead of toast with the eggs, I usually have a vegetable such as collard greens or Kale. .. I have a question. I recall many years ago when I lived home with my mother and father they roasted chestnuts on their coal stove. You know the song "chestnuts roasted on the open fire". I can't recall the name of the item that they used to accomplish that? Seems it was a screen type item- perhaps also used as a popcorn popper. I welcome the name of the item or the method to roast chestnuts on the open fire. I bought some fresh chestnuts the other day and would love to be able to roast them. Where might I find one of those items besides an antique store because visiting those establishments would be hit and miss. I'm not even certain what to call that item or I would do a google search. I'm eager to do this. I placed a few chestnuts on top of my lids around the center of the stove so that they don't burn - trying that method for now. I took some time to write on this blog and will return to my breakfast. I hope everyone has a great day.

Attachments

HPIM3257.JPG
.JPG | 63.1KB | HPIM3257.JPG
HPIM3258.JPG
.JPG | 72.6KB | HPIM3258.JPG
HPIM3256.JPG
.JPG | 76.4KB | HPIM3256.JPG

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Nov. 30, 2017 9:26 am

GOOGLE popcorn popper/ chestnut roaster-- :)

coalstovelady

Post by coalstovelady » Thu. Nov. 30, 2017 9:56 am

Thank you. I will google and I will let you know. The chestnuts that I placed on top of the lids did "sort of" roast. I ate 4 of them. I believe they would do much better in the chestnut roaster. My breakfast was great! I might even experiment and place a few of them inside my oven and I will need to carefully time them because my oven gets really hot. I think Paulie got about 425 degrees on a temporary thermometer inside the oven! (smiling) He eventually is going to have the thermometer which is on the oven door recalibrated for me.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”