Clueless

Jena

Post by Jena » Mon. Oct. 16, 2017 1:23 am

Hello.

I don't know anything about burning coal, but a bit about burning wood.

We have this stove that we don't know how to use. I think it might be for coal. I posted pics.

We are confounded by that ceramic looking liner thingy in there? It doesn't have a bottom. The only way to put anything in it is from the top. Theres also a little hole in the back that leads to....nothing.

This is from an old stage stop in Wyoming. It is still in the original building but whatever goes on the hole in back is long gone.

Can you help me understand what this is? I looked at some pics but haven't seen anything like this.

The stove is a Marion Stove Co. No. 16. The stage stop was active in the 1890's.

Thank you for any help.

Attachments

20170930_144407.jpg

Marion Stove

.JPG | 418KB | 20170930_144407.jpg
20170930_144438.jpg

Front

.JPG | 439.6KB | 20170930_144438.jpg
20170930_144430.jpg

.JPG | 339KB | 20170930_144430.jpg

cntbill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: EFM AF-150
Baseburners & Antiques: Radiant Gem 22 & Queen Bengal both by Floyd, Wells Co.
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Buck - Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Fireplace

Post by cntbill » Mon. Oct. 16, 2017 1:52 am

Jena wrote:
Mon. Oct. 16, 2017 1:23 am

We are confounded by that ceramic looking liner thingy in there?
I would guess that is a internal gravity fed hopper similar to a modern Hitzer Stove. For a better understanding check out there site: http://hitzer.com/our-products/stoves-furnaces/model-50-93

As far as the other hole would need more photos. Also for coal use there should be a grate on the bottom of the stove but I don't see it looking down the hopper...

Jena

Post by Jena » Mon. Oct. 16, 2017 6:42 am

Thanks! I will check out the link.

There is no grate, but it could just be missing.

I will have to get a pic of the back later.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Oct. 16, 2017 7:34 am

It is for coal. (under-air vents) Hopin you can track down some of the needed missing parts.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Mon. Oct. 16, 2017 7:59 am

In the picture looking down from the top it looks like the stove is packed with debris and ash. Is there a grate under all the crud? Is there an ash pan in the stove?...more pic's please.

...also, it looks like a repair was done on the ash door handle. I can see a modern style nut on the bottom door and a piece of flat stock metal. Not original to stove...my 2 cents

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Oct. 16, 2017 8:53 am

I agree it's a coal stove. That "ceramic" thing should actually be cast iron tube called a "magazine" It's used to store and feed coal to the firebed by gravity as the coal burns to ash. You can see the heat bulges near the bottom end of the mag which if it was made of ceramic it would not do.

Rather than use the front loading door, the coal would be pored in through that swing-aside cover called a "bonnet" with a swing-aside cover plate under it to seal the magazine's top end.

And as Michael pointed out, it looks like the ash door latch handle has been replaced with a piece of steel bar and a bolt.

Since the grates and firepot are the heart of the stove, I agree that if we had pictures of the stove is cleaned out we might learn more of the insides. Hopefully the grates are under all that debris.

The hole in the back might be part of a "back pipe" system ? A piece of pipe that leads from near the stove pipe outlet on top and either directs the hot exhaust down into a chamber under the ash pan area to extract more heat before sending it to the chimney (called a base heater stove). Or it's just a back pipe - a piece of stove pipe divided in half top-to-bottom that extracts more heat by diverting exhaust down the front half of the pipe to a support casting then loops it back up in the rear half of that same pipe to the chimney.

Here's a link to a picture of a fully restored, bigger number 18. http://www.gingercreekstoves.com/even-more-stoves.html Showing the side mica doors, too. And going by the restored one, it looks like yours is missing the finial that goes on top of the bonnet. But that's just a decorative piece, so it's not critical for operating the stove.

Paul

wilsons woodstoves
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood, Crawford, Magee, Herald, Others

Post by wilsons woodstoves » Mon. Oct. 16, 2017 9:05 am

jena, sonny is correct that is a mag it is burnt red and does look like ceramic, I recently sold that same stove to a local restorer. The stove is from marion ill. my stove was mint cond and if needed I'm sure youcould get parts cast for the stove. I do remember the hole your talking about but do not remember the out come...............wilson

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”