Glenwood Oak 116 - Shaker Grate Help?!

specialtg
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Oak #116

Post by specialtg » Mon. Oct. 09, 2017 3:24 pm

Hello fellow coal stove friends!
I am new to burning coal and am a new owner of a Glenwood Oak 116. The stove was setup to burn wood with the wood plate and all. We are looking to burn coal.
I was lucky to find this forum and was able to get some needed parts from the infamous Wilson!
We recently put the shaker grate together (obtained from a spare 116 that we happened to stumble upon). One of the grates was busted and Wilson hooked us up! However, when we went to install the grates one of the teeth of the older (and a bit warped) grates is hitting the bottom of our burn pot. Is this the wrong grate? Do we have this setup incorrectly? you will see the left side longer grate in the back circled is the part that is hitting our burn pot.
We are so close to have a functioning coal stove!!!!
shaker_grates.JPG
.JPG | 115.6KB | shaker_grates.JPG
Thank you in advanced!

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Mon. Oct. 09, 2017 4:27 pm

Maybe try to swap the left side with the right side. If warped bad, might want to replace that grate,also. Where are you located?
Bottom line: If you are close to Wilson, he can fix it. Good luck, not cold outside, yet.......
Cheers

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Oct. 09, 2017 5:20 pm

You have the bars in the right place. Warpage is a problem, but not the only part of the problem with that grate bar. I had the same problem with all the bars in one of my 118's.

From looking at your picture, I see that the teeth of that grate bar don't line up with the other grates. And it's gear does not mesh with it's mate to it's left. Warpage is easy to see, but if you compare you'll see that the teeth don't line up with the other grate bar. The other problem with grates that have been over heated enough times to warp is that repeated over heating also makes the cast iron grow longer. That's why that last tooth before the gear is hitting the firepot edge.

Not only will a warped grate bar prevent rotating the grates once a day (to breakup and dump clinkers before they get too hard, plus even out the heat stress and wear on the bars) the gap that a warped bar makes between it and the next bar will drop and waste a lot of coal whenever you try to shake ash. Been there, done that with the warped grate in my range. And not being able to rotate that bar daily, it will warp more.

You need to replace that other middle grate so that it's gear lines up with the outer one of that pair, the teeth line up with all the grate bars, and so that the gap between bars will be the correct width to support nut coal.

Paul

specialtg

Post by specialtg » Mon. Oct. 09, 2017 8:25 pm

Thanks so much for the replies!
Yes we did try swapping the 2 long grates to no avail.
So the teeth should line up straight across? I thought they were supposed to be staggered?
I am 2 hours drive from Wilson but he ships thank goodness.
Should the gears all line up? They are supposed to be staggered?
I have to be careful I order the right long grate from Wilson as they are different and I don't know if that is the true "left" long grate.
How do the shorter outside grates look to you guys? They look pretty good to us!
Thanks again,
~An Aspiring Coal Stove Burner~

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Oct. 09, 2017 9:34 pm

You could also grind off the offending grate shank to match the newer one and see how it works.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Oct. 09, 2017 11:31 pm

But, even if grinding can make it clear the firepot, that warped grate bar will still dump unburned coal needlessly and may lead to clinker build up at least for half the firepot.

I tried to put up with one warped grate for many years while I searched for a replacement. And the grate bar just got worse. Not only dumping some good coal during shaking, but after a couple of weeks the heat output dropped off as the fire bed filled up with clinkers and held less and less heat producing coal.

I finally bite the bullet and used the one good grate bar as a pattern to recast more. Now the stove consistently works the way it should. It doesn't drop unburned coal during ash shaking, and doesn't fill up with clinkers reducing the heat output. Stove life is good again, as Glenwood intended. :D

Paul

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Oct. 10, 2017 9:49 am

specialtg wrote:
Mon. Oct. 09, 2017 8:25 pm
So the teeth should line up straight across? I thought they were supposed to be staggered?
I have to be careful I order the right long grate from Wilson as they are different and I don't know if that is the true "left" long grate.
How do the shorter outside grates look to you guys? They look pretty good to us!
Thanks again,
send that same picture to Wilson and ask him to provide the correct replacement grate.

2 hrs. drive eh ? around here we do those after work and before dinner as a matter of course. but then, out here in flyover country EVEREYTHING is a ways off ;)

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Oct. 10, 2017 10:36 am

specialtg wrote:
Mon. Oct. 09, 2017 8:25 pm
Thanks again,

The gears only line up in pairs. And you rotate, and/or, shake one pair at a time. That's why the two grate bars on the right are one length, and the two on the left are another length. If all four gears lined up and you tried to shake all four grates at once it'd be very tough. Some bone-head did that to my first 118 and it was almost impossible to rotate the grates. :evil:

And yes, the teeth of all four grate bars should pretty well line up and not be staggered.

As long as the outer grate bars are straight they should be ok. They don't take the heat-beating that the two inner grate bars do. And being shorter they aren't as likely to warp.

Tell Wilson that you want the long 116 grate bar with the shorter gear axle. He'll know exactly what that means. ;)

One other thing to be aware of. If you look at the gears (technically called, "cogs" by the stove manufacturers), they have one wide tooth and one wide space opposite that wide tooth. When you put the bars into the frame make sure that with each pair the wide tooth of one gear goes into the wide space of the other gear. That keeps the pairs of grate's triangular surfaces properly aligned.

Paul

specialtg

Post by specialtg » Tue. Oct. 10, 2017 2:18 pm

Just got off the phone with Wilson! He has the grate! Thanks all for the replies. Wilson is such a pleasure to talk to. He recommends that after this season of burning with all that I have been told, recommended and learned that I should write a coal burning book. :)

Sunny Boy, my husband did notice the "big" tooth in the cogs!
But what we didn't notice- that Wilson just enlightened us about is each of the grates have a number on them and to help get the gears in time we want to have all the numbers facing upward when installing.

Thanks for all the help! We are so close to having this stove burning coal! I am excited!

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Oct. 10, 2017 4:39 pm

specialtg wrote:
Tue. Oct. 10, 2017 2:18 pm
Just got off the phone with Wilson! He has the grate! Thanks all for the replies. Wilson is such a pleasure to talk to. He recommends that after this season of burning with all that I have been told, recommended and learned that I should write a coal burning book. :)

Sunny Boy, my husband did notice the "big" tooth in the cogs!
But what we didn't notice- that Wilson just enlightened us about is each of the grates have a number on them and to help get the gears in time we want to have all the numbers facing upward when installing.

Thanks for all the help! We are so close to having this stove burning coal! I am excited!

Glad to help.
Yes, if the gears are installed properly on the grate bar then casting numbers all face up and the big teeth and spaces will mesh properly. The bone head that welded one of the gears on my 118 grate bars didn't know that and had it on 180 degrees the wrong way.

So, is that grate bar the last item to be done and then you can fire up the stove ?

As we say, no pictures and it didn't happen. :D We love pix of stoves, please post some when you get it running ?

Paul

wilsons woodstoves
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood, Crawford, Magee, Herald, Others

Post by wilsons woodstoves » Tue. Oct. 10, 2017 7:57 pm

Good point Sunny,..... that wide tooth on the cogs is often not noticed..............wilson

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”