Home Crawford Royal

Lonestar
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Our Glenwood No. 9, Triumph 125
Baseburners & Antiques: Our Glenwood No. 9, Triumph 125
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Lonestar » Tue. Jul. 25, 2017 11:04 am

Hi guys, been reading the forum for years now and this will be my 4th burning coal. I've finally invested in a range which is currently residing in my living room taking up a considerable amount of space, but I'd have it no other way. It's been taken apart and is now dry-fitted together because I couldn't wait to see what she looked like all set up. I'm going to call her Cindy. :D Anyways, I picked her up for a fair price, and after all I was mainly looking for something I could be using with minimal restoration; the nickel is even in a condition I would be happy to live with for a while. Of course, there was more to be fixed than initially anticipated. A few cracked tabs and rustjacking damage. The H-piece nearly popped up and hit me in the face when I took it off. Brandon welded a few things up and plated a couple cracks in the oven walls. Skip was kind enough to find me a side shelf and he also took my ash pan to use as a pattern to fab up a new one. Great guy. He also explained to me a little about how he gets such good welds. And if that wasn't enough, he took me on a little tour of his place, what a treasure. He must have about 20 stoves in that lovely old place and plenty more out in the barn. And now I know where all the Glenwood No. 6 and No. 8's have gone! If anyone is ever making a trip to the Stove Hospital, seriously consider stopping by Skip's also. It's rare to find such a humble and passionate quality as beheld by our friend Skip or the guys over at the Stove Hospital. I never knew these two great guys lived so close together! Thanks again to both for helping me put this thing together!

So, all I've got to do to get ready for winter is send out a t-piece to Tomahawk, countersink a few holes in the ash pit to be filled with screws (as I learned my stove was a candidate for oil conversion back in the day), and reassemble with cement and line the firebox. I'd say I'll be ready just in time to take the chill out of the fall air and bake a few pumpkin pies!

Attachments

20170725_092741.jpg
.JPG | 134.8KB | 20170725_092741.jpg

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jul. 25, 2017 11:46 am

Real nice L. :)

Lonestar

Post by Lonestar » Tue. Jul. 25, 2017 4:22 pm

Thanks Freetown fred! :yes:

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Tue. Jul. 25, 2017 7:20 pm

Wow that is sharp, man.

I could for sure smell Punkin' pies a baking as I was slobbering unapologetically over your good fortune...One day when the ship comes in I will have an antique range hand-fed by coal. I love my boilers but I do enjoy tending fire by hand in our Warm Morning stoves as well.

Something like what you have there would look/function beautifully in this 200 year old barn I live in. The only thing I seen missing in you photo was the little cardboard sign on top that reads "Tyler's Dream!"

Once again very nice...I now have stove envy again :)

Lonestar

Post by Lonestar » Sun. Oct. 22, 2017 9:07 am

Got the hybond liner in and the stove is all put together and sealed. Really pleased with how the liner came out; I ended up pounding it into a long metal planter tray that just so happened to be the exact thickness and height I needed. Now all I have to do is play the waiting game... and what a struggle it is! In the meantime, I'll be fitting her with stovepipe and pacing around my living room in giddy anticipation. It's finally getting cold enough where in a few weeks I could perhaps reasonably keep a low fire going. And just in time for pumpkin pie!
15086765398931899052788.jpg
.JPG | 386KB | 15086765398931899052788.jpg
Many thanks again to Wilson and the guys at the Stove Hospital for all their help.
1508677507794549663749.jpg

Pan by Wilson

.JPG | 362.2KB | 1508677507794549663749.jpg

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Oct. 22, 2017 9:28 am

Looks real good.

I know how you feel waiting to use it. As much as I like warm weather, we can hardly wait to start up the range in Fall and do all our cooking on it. Makes winter much more bearable !!!! :)

If you haven't already, take a look through the Cookin' With Coal thread. It's up in the, "Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite section" ..... about half way down in the, "Popular Hand Fired Coal Stove Topics."

Cookin' With Coal

And please feel free to contribute your experiences to it.

Paul

Merc300d
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood 6 base heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Too many
Other Heating: Oil base board

Post by Merc300d » Sun. Oct. 22, 2017 9:34 am

The liner looks great. An you have the coal grates. Are those recast or originals? I hope you can post its operation an what your cooking ( baking ) in the cooking w coal thread. Nice work.

Lonestar

Post by Lonestar » Sun. Oct. 22, 2017 10:02 am

Oh, I've read through all 80 or so pages of "Cookin' with coal" a few times over! Can't wait to be part of the discussion. I think part of what really inspired me to get a range was seeing how much you get out of yours Paul.

Cheers,
Adam

Lonestar

Post by Lonestar » Sun. Oct. 22, 2017 10:16 am

Merc300d wrote:
Sun. Oct. 22, 2017 9:34 am
The liner looks great. An you have the coal grates. Are those recast or originals? I hope you can post its operation an what your cooking ( baking ) in the cooking w coal thread. Nice work.
Thanks Merc300d. The grates are original stock I got from Emery! I know I should probably get some cast too, I'm still a bit concerned about shrinkage though, end to end they must be 20 inches long! Luckily, the stove still had the gear pack when I got it.. I guess they're getting pretty hard to find; Glad I can save the wood for my Round Oak 16.

See you guys in "Cookin' with coal"!

Merc300d
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood 6 base heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Too many
Other Heating: Oil base board

Post by Merc300d » Sun. Oct. 22, 2017 10:55 am

Let's see that round oak !?!?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Oct. 22, 2017 11:28 am

Lonestar wrote:
Sun. Oct. 22, 2017 10:16 am
Merc300d wrote:
Sun. Oct. 22, 2017 9:34 am
Thanks Merc300d. The grates are original stock I got from Emery! I know I should probably get some cast too, I'm still a bit concerned about shrinkage though, end to end they must be 20 inches long! Luckily, the stove still had the gear pack when I got it.. I guess they're getting pretty hard to find; Glad I can save the wood for my Round Oak 16.

See you guys in "Cookin' with coal"!
Those are known as, "dock ash" style grates (the bars look like RR tracks). While they are in such good shape it would be good idea to have recasts made, even if only the inner one closest to the oven wall. That one takes a beating more than the one closest to the ash door primary damper.

Not having a set of teeth always pointing down like the triangular grates, the dock ash type can get over heated and sag if you run it too hot. And they should be rotated 180 degrees once a day after a long burn. Making sure to do that routinely will not only break up and dump clinkers before they get too firm, it also helps even out the heat stresses that can cause the grate bars to warp.

Ask Emery, or Wilson if they stock those grate bars. If so then no need to get recasts made, but I would advise that you get some spare grates from them now while they have them. If not, the best recasts are made from originals. If you have to get a recast made from a recast it really gets into shrinkage/fit problems.

As you know, the most impact by recast shrinkage will be the length. For 20 inch long grates they will shrink about 3/16 inch total. It looks like you have a fairly close fit at the rear of the grate frame so I don't think that much shrinkage will be a problem unless the grate bars have locating bands at both ends. Usually just one end and the other end is just a round shaft.

Too much rear gap was a problem with mine, so I just made the rear most teeth a bit wider with Bondo before I sent it out to Tomahawk. And spraying on a few coats of thick primer made up for a good bit of what's lost to shrinkage everywhere else on the bars. Plus the primer being smoother, it gave the grate bar a better surface for releasing from the sand mold when used as a pattern to make the cavity in the mold.

Paul

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Oct. 22, 2017 4:10 pm

Merc300d wrote:
Sun. Oct. 22, 2017 10:55 am
Let's see that round oak !?!?
X2

Lonestar

Post by Lonestar » Thu. Nov. 09, 2017 6:14 pm

Alright alright!! Finally getting around to a reply, sorry to keep you guys on your toes here. Aside from being super busy, I've been having too much fun cooking on the range and I just couldn't bring myself to take even a few minutes away to get you all some photos! Well, without further ado, here is the lamb butt that came out absolutely perfect, with Brussels sprouts and pierogies. I'll direct any further cooking documentation to the "Cookin' with coal" forum.

And of course the Round Oak.. I thought maybe I should just start a separate thread, because I have some questions myself. Got it about 2 years ago. It's missing all the shiny bits and parts that make it nice, but it's one hell of a heater with wood. I'd love to find all the missing parts and make it complete. I know it's one of the earlier ones. Feet are mismatched as well. I'm not too upset with myself, as it was one of the first stoves I've ever bought and, like I said, it heats very well. The barrel is solid, and original as far as I can tell, it's super thick.. Round Oak made some very robust stoves. And it's got the wood grate! So I know someone took it apart and put that in. If anyone can point me in the right direction sourcing the missing parts, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks everybody!

Lonestar

Post by Lonestar » Thu. Nov. 09, 2017 6:18 pm

Alright alright!! Finally getting around to a reply, sorry to keep you guys on your toes here. Aside from being super busy, I've been having too much fun cooking on the range and I just couldn't bring myself to take even a few minutes away to get you all some photos! Well, without further ado, here is the lamb butt that came out absolutely perfect, with Brussels sprouts and pierogies. I'll direct any further cooking documentation to the "Cookin' with coal" forum.
20171105_182607.jpg
.JPG | 402.8KB | 20171105_182607.jpg
And of course the Round Oak.. I thought maybe I should just start a separate thread, because I have some questions myself. Got it about 2 years ago. It's missing all the shiny bits and parts that make it nice, but it's one hell of a heater with wood. I'd love to find all the missing parts and make it complete. I know it's one of the earlier ones. Feet are mismatched as well. I'm not too upset with myself, as it was one of the first stoves I've ever bought and, like I said, it heats very well. The barrel is solid, and original as far as I can tell, it's super thick.. Round Oak made some very robust stoves. And it's got the wood grate! So I know someone took it apart and put that in. If anyone can point me in the right direction sourcing the missing parts, I'd be much obliged!
20170901_095803.jpg
.JPG | 378KB | 20170901_095803.jpg
20150804_113510.jpg
.JPG | 296KB | 20150804_113510.jpg
Thanks everybody!

Lonestar

Post by Lonestar » Thu. Nov. 09, 2017 6:19 pm

Apologies about the technical difficulties.

Adam

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”