Glenwood 114 Question

philthy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoke Koker Lite, Alaska Kast Konsole
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6, Glenwood #116 x 2, Crawford 40

Post by philthy » Sun. Jan. 29, 2017 1:07 pm

Found this Glenwood for sale on craigslist. The question I have is about this gas burner. Admittedly I'm not well education on these stoves but I took this as a converted gas burner - seller says not.

Just wanted to see what you guys thought of it.

**Broken Link(S) Removed**

Attachments

gw gasburner.jpg
.JPG | 46.1KB | gw gasburner.jpg

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Jan. 29, 2017 1:17 pm

Mine is just like that also.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sun. Jan. 29, 2017 1:21 pm

I believe that is just the secondary air intake.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jan. 29, 2017 1:32 pm

One of my GW 118s has that same secondary air gas burner in the loading door. The other 118 doesn't have the burner - just the damper, and it doesn't have the mica windows.

Both doors say 118 cast right into the door.

It's actually an air defuser. By having the air come in though many smaller holes, instead of through a damper with fewer and larger holes, the air streams quickly get redirected straighter over the firebed. Thus helping reduce, or eliminate any dead areas caused by air turbulence.

The same principal is used in some other types of air intake system designs to "cheat" when there isn't enough distance to allow the air streams to naturally straighten out and be more evenly distributed.

Paul

philthy

Post by philthy » Sun. Jan. 29, 2017 3:17 pm

Thanks for the help! After posting I did a little more looking and saw that this was part of the stove. Thanks SB for the explanation!

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Wed. Feb. 01, 2017 9:33 am

I followed the link and asked for some pics of grates and firepot and sent me a few might do the same as he has them on his phone if interested. They looked ok to my untrained eyes.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 01, 2017 10:46 am

That paint looks rather glossy. I'd make sure it's high temp stove paint able to take up to 1200 F.

If it's just automotive paint with a catalyst, it's only good for about 600F. If it's plain air-dry enamel, not even that high.

Paul

philthy

Post by philthy » Wed. Feb. 01, 2017 10:55 am

This is one of the photos of the grates the seller sent me. I thought they looked a little rough. And my thought on the paint were the same and that it looked very pitted and that was just from a picture.

Figured I'd let that one go. Struck a deal with a restorer in Vermont that better suits what I want to do. It's all complete with back pipe, good grates, and he's throwing in a wood grate.

Attachments

IMG_1021.JPG
.JPG | 109.6KB | IMG_1021.JPG

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 01, 2017 11:31 am

A little rough ? :shock: Those grates are badly warped. They won't be able to clear ash and clinkers as well as they were designed to. Plus, a lot of coal will fall though the too-wide gaps created by the warped grate bars. Been there, done it, and would never again !!!!

Good find in Vermont. The back pipe is a real plus. And while it's not an absolute necessity, having a wood makes wood burning better.

Paul

philthy

Post by philthy » Wed. Feb. 01, 2017 11:42 am

SB I was trying to be nice! Lol The grates I could've worked with but not for the price offered. Anxious to get the other one to say the least.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 01, 2017 12:35 pm

philthy wrote:SB I was trying to be nice! Lol The grates I could've worked with but not for the price offered. Anxious to get the other one to say the least.
Believe me those grates would not "work". All you could do is slightly shake them and watch good burning coal fall through the gaps as you tried to clear other areas of ash to get the firepot to burn evenly.

Then you'd have to shut down the stove every couple of weeks to clear the bed of clinkers that have fused together growing too large to pass through even the widest gaps,... until the lower half of the firebox was just all clinkers and no fuel. Then the stove is only putting out about half the heat it is capable of while the uneven burning from a shallower and uneven breathing firebed is wasting coal.

I tried to live with grates that bad for many years while I searched for replacements. I finally got fed up and worked on one halfway decent grate bar and made it into a pattern to have new ones recast. The difference in how the stove preforms is amazing !!!!!

Paul

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Feb. 01, 2017 1:55 pm

Those grates aren't just a little rough. They have passed on to that great scrap yard in the sky.
These would have to be replaced before the stove would be usable.
I am very glad you have found a stove out there to give a home to. You will love it and I hope that we can see it when you get it.

philthy

Post by philthy » Wed. Feb. 01, 2017 2:19 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
philthy wrote:SB I was trying to be nice! Lol The grates I could've worked with but not for the price offered. Anxious to get the other one to say the least.
Believe me those grates would not "work". All you could do is slightly shake them and watch good burning coal fall through the gaps as you tried to clear other areas of ash to get the firepot to burn evenly.

Then you'd have to shut down the stove every couple of weeks to clear the bed of clinkers that have fused together growing too large to pass through even the widest gaps,... until the lower half of the firebox was just all clinkers and no fuel. Then the stove is only putting out about half the heat it is capable of while the uneven burning from a shallower and uneven breathing firebed is wasting coal.

I tried to live with grates that bad for many years while I searched for replacements. I finally got fed up and worked on one halfway decent grate bar and made it into a pattern to have new ones recast. The difference in how the stove preforms is amazing !!!!!

Paul
I guess what I meant by making them work SB was getting the stove cheap enough and scrapping the grates. I have experience with warped grates myself on a Hitzer. They weren't near as bad as that Glenwood but still was no fun.

philthy

Post by philthy » Wed. Feb. 01, 2017 2:24 pm

wsherrick wrote:Those grates aren't just a little rough. They have passed on to that great scrap yard in the sky.
These would have to be replaced before the stove would be usable.
I am very glad you have found a stove out there to give a home to. You will love it and I hope that we can see it when you get it.
Yes sir I plan to share as I go. I've read thru member SteveZee's restore thread a couple times and will use it as a guide for mine. It'll be a bit till I get it as the fella needed some time to get it all together. That and it might work out with a delivery he has coming my way if I can stand to wait that long. :yearight:

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 01, 2017 2:31 pm

Remember the rule - pictures or it didn't happen ! :D

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”